HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:02 PM
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Jul 2009
23 Posts
Question
How to make windows?

I have a C-310 with two .61 nitro fuel engines on it.
I'm trying to build new windows in it (including the winshield).
What is the best advice for them? What's the best/easiest material out there to use?

Also, the plane will be recovered with monokote, so i also wanted to make sure i could somehow wrap the covering around the edges of the window frames into the cabin of the plane (so that the wind doesn't strip the covering off on the outside).I'm just not too sure how to go about it all..

Any suggestions or even pics (or links to materials) would be appreciated.
Thanks, Lukas
Fly For Food is offline Find More Posts by Fly For Food
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:58 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,061 Posts
Making side windows is easier than one might first think. First, obtain some .015 PETK, your local hobby shop should carry it or be able to order it. If not, it is available in 8.5 x 11 inch sheets on line.

Next, using plywood the same thickness of the longeron or window framing, make an identical cut out, it will be the female mold. Follow up by making a male plug from the same thickness plywood, 1/16" smaller than the opening. These molds will work for both sides of the plane if the window openings are identical, just by reversing sides.

Place a piece of wax paper on a cookie sheet and lay the male mold over it. On this, place a piece of PETK cut a half inch larger around the window opening. Now carefully position the female mold over the male mold. On this, lay a piece of plywood that overlaps the window opening. Finally, on top of it all goes a healthy weight placed about center of the window.

Place in an oven on low heat and wait until the weight has driven the female mold down over the male plug. It generally took me from 15-20 minutes. Turn off heat and let it partially cool but not so much that the window will be hard to remove. Trim around leaving 1/4 inch of back lap to glue. The pane will be installed of course after the covering where the film covering will be as you desired, wrapped inside.

Put the molds in a 5x7 manila envelope and mark what plane they are for and save in case another window is needed.

No vac forming is needed and the PETK piece only needs to be slightly larger than the window (not necessary to use a whole sheet as with vac forming).

I do have a link showing the process but it is embedded in a plane build and is a very lengthy load on dial up.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/arlyn/tcrebuild.html
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:49 PM
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Jul 2009
23 Posts
Awesome!
Thank you.
Do you think this will also work with thicker sheets?
I wanted to use stronger thickness since it's a pretty fast airplane.
Fly For Food is offline Find More Posts by Fly For Food
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:36 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyforfood_not View Post
Awesome!
Thank you.
Do you think this will also work with thicker sheets?
I wanted to use stronger thickness since it's a pretty fast airplane.
Don't know... I've not tried it with the .060 PETK.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red