HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:42 PM
Need a bigger runway
Dominican Republic, Puerto Plata, Cabarete
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Discussion
CMP Beaver 1800mm

So, finally took out my CMP Beaver this morning. Beautiful day, sun was out and the water nice, clear and warm. This looks like it is the same beaver as listed on the Hobbyking site as 1800mm Beaver, but with a different color scheme.

NTM Prop drive 42-58 500kv
Plush 80 esc
5s 4000 mah
14x9 (3 blade)

The plane took of nicely with lots of power. However, after getting about 25ft in to the air, it became a nightmare to control and I noticed that one of the wings was higher than the other.

Beaver 1800mm - Watch that wing strut! (0 min 19 sec)

After the crash-landing (plane half in the water...have learned from rc gas boats to throw as much pool noodles in as possible) I found the culprit.

In the instructions you are told to epoxy in a metal piece in to the struts. This goes in to a pre-cut / glued wood receiver in the strut. However, the wood receiver is not pre-glued in well enough to the strut, so this is where mine came apart.

I think the battery is beyond saving. All the electronics were bathed in Corrosion-X before hand and are now taking a 24hr bath in the stuff and I have left the plane to dry out in a room with the A/C full on (is this a bad idea?)

So anyone with this plane and has added weight of floats, beware and check the wood receiver inside the strut and make that bond a lot stronger.

The plane took a hard face plant in the water, but I did strengthen everything before hand, so no major damage apart from 1 missing landing gear which is now in the bottom of the lagoon.
sandydr is offline Find More Posts by sandydr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:00 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
825 Posts
I would not count out the battery. If you fly in fresh water, then it is probably fine. I have dunked many lipos in fresh water and had no problems. If the water was a little dirty, then rinse the pack in distilled water and dry. In the long run, there may be some small decrease in life, but it's not worth throwing it out just because it got wet.
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:23 PM
Need a bigger runway
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Hi Lupy
The water where I run is a lagoon and is brackish. The battery looks in good condition still. I did give it a rinse with WD 40 and have let it sit a while. I have basically written it off as I don't want to risk an explosion or damaging the charger unit. I don't understand lipo's too much apart from hearing that they can be dangerous. What is the worst case than can happen if it is buggered and I connect it to a charger?. Thanks, Sandy
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:40 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
825 Posts
Second hand I have heard that any salt water is death to most electronics. I think your intial verdict is probaby safer. Worst case, It could short and burn. Salt water is conductive and corrosive. If I were going to try chaging such a battery, I would do it outside.

Did your servos get wet?? If they were not corrosion X'd before, I would probably toss them too, just to be safe. I have run properly prepared servos under fresh water numerous times, Before I found corrosion X, I had a couple of servos change center position in flight after a mild dunk.

What floats were you using?? Looks like a fine plane.
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:58 PM
Need a bigger runway
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
I used to running my gas boats in the same water, so the servos boards were treated with Corrosion-X and then I put some silicone sealant around the servo case, lead area and where the servo arm fits on. I couldn't find any o-rings small enough to fit over the spline. I haven't tried them yet, but will give them a go in the morning and see how they got on.

I think I am going to dump the battery anyway, I can't even remember where my nearest fire extinguisher is....

The floats are nice and worked really well for the first 10-15 seconds they have a nice splash guard running along them. I got them from http://www.hobbypartz.com/fm34-101.html and bought 2 sets and a pair of servo wires to get the free shipping deal....
Last edited by sandydr; Feb 17, 2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: .
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:54 PM
Need a bigger runway
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Miraculously , the battery seems to have survived quite well. I can only think that the battery position saved it and it did not get too much water seeping in. First tried it on the battery tester (see results below) and then put it to the motor / esc, which to my relief all work well together. Still haven't had the courage to put it on the charger yet....
Old May 04, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Sep 2003
64 Posts
Cowl Dameter

Could someone tell me the diameter of the cowl as I'm planning on using glow.
GIJon is offline Find More Posts by GIJon
Old May 06, 2013, 07:12 PM
Need a bigger runway
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
The plane is sitting at an odd angle in the garage, without removing lots of things...it is approx 61/2" at the back to 6" in the front, You should have plenty of room.
Old May 06, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Sep 2003
64 Posts
Thank you!
Old Jun 26, 2013, 06:45 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
1,002 Posts
im looking to buy this kit from NP, what size servos did u use?
celm is offline Find More Posts by celm
Old Jun 26, 2013, 08:44 PM
Joined Sep 2003
64 Posts
I'm not building as an electric. I'm powering it with a Saito 72. I'm using Futaba 3114s and 3115s in the wing and standard 3001 on rudder and elevator.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
154 Posts
what a beautifull one!!! i am in love with this model ....where is the "add to cart" button?
nocomp is offline Find More Posts by nocomp
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:33 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
1,002 Posts
I didn't get any help from NP when I asked them what metal gear rudder and elev servo to use. can one of you guys look at the NP site and tell me what metal gear servo would u use for the rudder and elev please?
celm is offline Find More Posts by celm
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:45 PM
Need a bigger runway
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
celm, you can use any standard size mg servo. On the NP site, something like this would work http://www.nitroplanes.com/33p-solarservo-d224.html