114 Posts
Help!
microdrive on sb5

found this on Facebook.
wondering if anyone knows how or where to buy
Micro-Drive SB5 kit components.

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/...44964894_a.jpg

Alleven RC
Micro-Drive kits to convert the Thunder Tiger SB-5 belt to chain drive. Got 1000 watts brushless? Micro-Drive don't care. Will. Not. Slip.
https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/...36894991_a.jpg
snesladd is online now Find More Posts by snesladd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Nov 2011
160 Posts
Looks custom could be wrong though since the anodizing? Looks very nice regardless. Would you mind posting a fb link so I can look at other pics of that bike or post more pics of the bike? Maybe ask whoever has that on their fb where they got it from. They might be able to point you in the right direction
htmlhuh is offline Find More Posts by htmlhuh
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:59 AM
Sverige, Stockholms Lšn, Stockholm
Joined Jun 2011
114 Posts
http://m.facebook.com/pages/Alleven-...042371083&_rdr
He answered and we will see if it is possible to buy.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:25 AM
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,789 Posts
I have those in stock but not up on the website yet. I'll try and get that done tomorrow.

Bruce
slawsonb is offline Find More Posts by slawsonb
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:15 PM
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,789 Posts
The Alleven RC micro-drive for the SB5 is now in stock and ready to ship!

http://2wheelhobbies.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1655

Bruce
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:41 AM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Dec 2003
180 Posts
Patrick's sprockets and chains are ANSI standards. I bought his AllEven gold sprockets and chain set up from Bruce, for my TT ducati nitro. The rear wheel spins forever by hand, super smooth and even. Completely different than the chain drives on the TT stock or Italian bikes Ive owned.
Ifly_65 is offline Find More Posts by Ifly_65
Last edited by Ifly_65; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:53 AM
Joined Jun 2011
114 Posts
I ordered directly from allEven
I'll see when it arrives if it works
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Jun 2011
114 Posts
AllEven (0 min 9 sec)
Old May 06, 2013, 03:26 PM
Joined Jun 2011
114 Posts
Now the chain is race tested this weekend with no problems,with 20mm extension. On the track where the World Championships takes place next year.
Old May 18, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
114 Posts
Have discovered that the chain slackens over time, dropped it after a hard crash in today's first qualifying. But after adjustments i finished the day with a 3 'position
Old May 18, 2013, 05:23 PM
less can be more
Joined Sep 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snesladd View Post
Have discovered that the chain slackens over time....
With 1:1 bikes a belt-drive is favored over chain because it takes a very long time to stretch (if it does at all), and it requires no grit-attracting lube. Some say belt is more efficient. Harley is using them, and Suzuki's torquey 650 street thumper uses a belt. The downside to belt-drive on 1:1 are the required large pulley sizes which interfere with styling; Gates belts don't like sharp bends. With RC, it seems to me that chain would be a downgrade, especially when compared to some of very high quality micro belt-drive systems used in industry.
Swarf is offline Find More Posts by Swarf
Old May 19, 2013, 01:15 AM
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,789 Posts
The belt on the SB5 can slip or come off completely in a crash. I have been taken out of a race when I was bumped by another rider and my belt shredded in the drivetrain. The belt is good in many situations but it you want something that wont fall off or slip the chain wins.

Bruce
Old May 20, 2013, 06:20 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawsonb View Post
The belt on the SB5 can slip or come off completely in a crash. I have been taken out of a race when I was bumped by another rider and my belt shredded in the drivetrain. The belt is good in many situations but it you want something that wont fall off or slip the chain wins.

Bruce
Not only that but a chain bike and a belt bike require totally different driving styles. Belt bikes have a drag brake effect when entering a corner or just letting out of the throttle because the belt has to be so tight. The free coasting momentum effect of a chain is much more predictable and easier to manage in and out of a corner for me anyways. I find myself having to stay or get back in the throttle when entering a corner with a belt and that makes the bike more unstable and harder to keep a consistent line. Chains are the way to go for RC bikes IMO. Chains give you consistency threw the whole race. Belts are smooth and quite but require more maintenance...in other words they slow you down. I can't think of any advantages of a belt. You lose the advantages of light weight rotating mass of a belt when its tight as a frogs butt.
dragbikebam is online now Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Old May 20, 2013, 07:38 PM
less can be more
Joined Sep 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragbikebam View Post
... the belt has to be so tight...
The right belt-pulley combination will come along and change the game, RC bikes are still evolving. The SB5 belt could use an idler because of the c-t-c span. A good toothed belt riding in shouldered pulleys cannot drift off, and it does not have to be run extremely tight [tight causes drag and heat]. Stock Drive Products/Sterling Instrument and McMaster-Carr are pulley and belt candy stores. The myriad of robotics parts vendors are starting to inventory good stuff, too.
Swarf is offline Find More Posts by Swarf
Last edited by Swarf; May 20, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:21 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2006
293 Posts
I think the sb-5 is not the greatest example of belt design. It has a few big things going against it: flexible swing arm, narrow belts, not enough wrap-around on the small pulley, no way to counter-act the bending moment caused by the tension between the two pulleys. Because of these you end up having to crank up the tension to get the skipping down. Most of the belt tensioner designs I've seen for it have the tensioner too far from the small pulley to significantly increase wrap-around. The Lightscale one addresses the bending moment and the wrap-around, letting you run a slacker belt. I have one and it works great - but costs much,much more than the alleven solution.

-rskip
rskip is offline Find More Posts by rskip