HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:32 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
978 Posts
Discussion
America (3) 24" Victor Model Products

Hi all. I recently acquired a sailboat from donated no longer wanted RC gear. It needed some TLC with a new mast and rudder but got its first outing yesterday morning and sailed fairly well on a small city park fishing pond.

I noted online friend Martin Richards involved with sailboats so emailed and later sent a picture and he looks like correctly identified the boat as a Victor Model.

The rudder was replaced with a 'this looks about right' effort and it provided basic albeit not great control. It would sail rail down and hold its line but that might be more of boat balance being close rather than adequate rudder as other times the rudder seemed less effective than seemed desirable. The rudder was simple to make so a more generous will be given a try.

It was my first RC sailboat experience (though I've considerable sailing experience) and for the most part had the boat going where intended, and given a few youngsters with fishing lines in the small pond it behooved me to stay clear of them, which wasn't much problem.

The sails actually did better than expected given their wrinkled condition as the boat was simply a pile of twisted sails with broken mast when passed to me. I tried pressing them with a covering iron but to little effect... perhaps the wife's steam iron, eh... but I'd hate to melt them to the iron and have to buy her new.

I think I'll enjoy the boat though I'm not aware of any other RC sailors in our area, perhaps I'll have to promote it a bit. I'm sure I'll have many questions as time passes with the first being, what general winds are ideal for my boat or similar RC sailboats?

I'm all ready thinking of a second boat so as to enjoy some outings with the grandsons and if getting heavier into this and if enlisting others, I'll want to consider a one design based on racing experience with catamarans where one design proved the greater fun. So, maybe another Victor 24" or another clear leader... I'm all ears but the intended pond is relatively small (about 200x300 ft) so a one meter might be a little large. Before deciding, I'll ask around to discover any current area activity I'm not aware of.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AA5BY; Feb 17, 2013 at 08:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:13 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
Hi AA5BY, probably the cheapest sail materal would be florists wrap. Use the wrinkled sails as a pattern and cut the wrap with a sharp soldering iron point or run some scotch tape along the cut edges to avoid tearing. Failing that, try to see what your local kite shop has in the way of lightweigh fabrics. There's not much I can recalll here on the Victor America, but I seem to recall that those who have Victor Boats being enthusiastic about after sales service. You could try contacting them for replacement sails as well as the rudder.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:38 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
On the question of a second (and maybe 3rd) boats, the best by a large margin of the smaller boats is probably the Micro Magic from Graupner. Unfortunately it's quite pricy although there must be thousand worldwide. Another to consider if you're into building is the RG65 class and a lot of plans are available from http://rg65.free.fr from simple hard chine to plank on frame boats. After that you step up a further 7-8" or so to the Victor V32, almost ready to sail Nirvana or the Thunder Tiger Victoria.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:32 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,383 Posts
AA5BY
I'd say you got a very nice boat there and the price was certainly right! Martin is right, the folks at Victor Models are very nice and accommodating. I posted a link to their web site to a page that has some details on your Victor model. I suspect that if you needed any more parts, they'd be happy to help you out.
http://www.victor-model.com/products/america-3-24

I have had several Victor models and can share each one was fun to build and when completed sailed above expectations. Martin has provided some good suggestions for a 2nd boat. I recently sold my V -12 Footy and the year before sold my V 32. I missed sailing it so I got another one! I see you have some very nice looking aircraft and from that deduce building a kit boat would be well within your abilities.

Victor kits as well as the Victoria by Thunder Tiger are really "user friendly" to assemble when compared to some others out there. The Micro Magic in my opinion takes a few more hobby tools and shop skills than Victor's kits or the Victoria I built. Nonetheless, when completed the MM kits yields one of the best all around sailboats out there! Especially when you consider its' size. RG65 which Martin mentioned are very popular boats and seem to be growing in popularity.

I enjoy sailing all of my boats which currently range in size from 24" (612mm) to 1 meter. The 24" boat is especially fun on those days when there is little if any breeze, which would not be much fun for the larger boats. The larger boat typically have a wider range of conditions they can be sailed in, so that is another factor to keep in mind. What are the conditions where you'll be sailing?

It is hard to say what's right for someone else - budget, transporting the boats, and storing them are factors to consider. Since your are into rc aircraft you are aware of all of these things - so I'd suggest you do some reading on this forum - It is a great resource for you to learn about the pro's and con's of the many different options you have.

Sadly, some choices that were available in past years have become collector items or have had their production put on hold until the economy turns around.
Still, there a number of good choices, and with a little research on your part you should come up with the right choice for you.

Posted a few pictures of a few of the mentioned boats to give you an idea of what they look like.

Welcome to this part of the hobby. Enjoy~

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 18, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:19 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
978 Posts
Much thanks to Martin and Boomer for the information that will be helpful in making some possible future choices.

I'll try to get some more time with the boat and see if it agrees with me or I it.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:35 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Welcome to the Dark Side, sailing is fun.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:56 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
978 Posts
When an active sailor... the dark side was power boats.

An RC friend who was big into free flight for a great many years, revealed once that free flight guys affectionately called RC'ers.... RC pukes.

Confessing no insight to how involved I'll get in RC sailing but some is likely as sailing was a big interest for a great many years.

Planes have been the primary interest area, and I've RC plane buddies going back thirty nine years so it will likely remain prime.

I greatly enjoyed the first RC sailboat outing as well as re-commissioning the boat. Building has always been enjoyable part of it, though there has been one great change in that for me.... where once a build was pressed for completion, now there is no concern for how quickly something gets built.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:00 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
978 Posts
Some excitement by the grandsons (twelve and seven) about RC sailing so have taken Martin's advice and have ordered a Micro Magic.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:36 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
http://www.magicmicro.org/p/forum/forum.php will be required reading when it arrives. There are some enthusiastic Micromagic sailors here who'll no doubt also be willing to offer their advice.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:53 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
http://www.magicmicro.org/p/forum/forum.php will be required reading when it arrives. There are some enthusiastic Micromagic sailors here who'll no doubt also be willing to offer their advice.
Thanks again Martin, have the UK MM site bookmarked.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:24 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,383 Posts
Great choice! The MM is a terrific boat for sure and like most of us that have one have found they sail far better than their size would suggest.
Enjoy!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:29 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
978 Posts
Home from work at 3pm today and went flying but no one there... too windy... so back home to unload planes and load sailboat and off to the pond. Great fun... sailed for about 30 min. The pond is in a low place and sheltered from strong winds but the sheltering makes them flukey.

An anecdote to messing with the sailboat is when deciding to get a second boat for the grandkids, it occurred to me to resurrect an old Futaba radio from many many years ago... though I'm not sure I can do it legally, will have to check on that and maybe do some frequency changes and realignment if needed. The story though is about the batteries. The radio was purchased in the latter '70s and in '83 I got out of RC until 2001 at which time the radio was obsolete for aircraft because it no longer met the narrow band requirements.

For grins the Tx was turned on and it blipped the RF needle so both the Tx and Rx were given a 16hr charge followed by a discharge cycle with the Tx showing 160mah and the Rx 240mah. The second 16hr charge produced Tx 375mah and Rx 450mah. I doubt the cells are more than 600 mah and if so the Rx battery is within 75% after setting for thirty years and two cycles and being about 35 years old. I'd never believed it possible. And... they could be 500 mah cells... I certainly don't remember that far back.

The radio still works fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:35 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
978 Posts
Made another much larger rudder this AM and burned 240ma on the pond this afternoon and the boat handled much better. I doubt whether the previous effort would have handled today's winds which had the rail down some.

Finally on a downwind, the bow sub-marined for a second and as expected, there was about 4oz of water aboard. The receiver and battery are mounted to the bottom of hatch so likely didn't get too wet. I've a desk lamp ensuring they are dried.

Sailing was a hoot.
RCG Plus Member