HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:10 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,210 Posts
Alert
New Wheels for Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX !!!

For those that really like speed and do so by converting and modifying a PARK FLYER such as say the Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX into a racer with heavier motor, batteries, ESC , etc.....then, for those of you that fit this category, you all may want to consider a different selection of wheels. I call it the "PARK FLYER Wheels Change-out" ; )

In performing lots of Propeller Testing (In-Flight) I must have reached the limit of take-offs and most especially Landings (I am pretty good at Greasing the Landings) but, it seems like one Plastic Hub of the tall and skinny STOCK Park Zone wheels snapped the back side retainer and again it is just amazing that the model did not flip or cartwheeled. I would say the model is now so light with the Park Zone 480 (960Kv) Brushless Motor and lighter Spinner hardware that it was not coming at so much speed and gently landed and wheels performed just fine.

For the Park Zone 480 (960Kv) Testing go to:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1832961

Just take a look at the Picture(s) and you will see a little hair of plastic still remaining and the only thing holding the Foam Tire / Tyre.

Now, in search of a suitable replacement was a struggle since the Height of the STOCK Tires were a challenge as no tire in my hobby drawer was that skinny in the Wheel Hub Dimension so, I looked around all my other models (Projects) waiting in the wings and found a very good replacement. Certainly not completely the height I was looking for but, it came very close and BINGO!

Anyone care to guess from what model??????????
Hum...............

....tick toc........................
.................................................. .................................

Okay, okay......it's from my Park Zone Typhone2 3D model.......

The wheels hubs are very robust and super strong!!!

Noticed a lot of corrosion already setting in on the Pre-Bent Wires so, took out the Spray can of a good quality Lithium Grease and it was magic, no more issues and the wheels spin like crazy!

Yes, I lost one of the Wheel Skirts, Dang it!

However, she looks sharp and most importantly for me, I can see the wheels clearly coming in for a landing and helps me judge the height of the model right before touch down.

Oh, you all are wondering if I threw that poor Typhoon in the corner without any wheels?? Nope, it received a pair of brand new wheels from Park Zone the ones that come with the T-28's and other models. Just a little reaming to size up the Wire a bit and Presto!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Feb 17, 2013 at 08:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:35 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,842 Posts
I love kitbashing.

That is one heck of a useful modification.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:39 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,210 Posts
Thanks, I am glad it was useful.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member