HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Murocflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:05 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,822 Posts
Discussion
Model Aviation Mentors; Modelers Helping Modelers

We all love model aviation no matter what the form. Some like airplanes, some helicopters, some sailplanes or gliders, others like multicopters, cars and/or boats. No matter what form of model aviation you participate in or like to do, at one point in time there was someone to teach you the ropes and show you how to build, fly, or how to know what power system to use on your new model. We were not born with knowing how to fly model aircraft or knowing how to build a foam or balsa plane. That skill or talent was most likely taught to you by someone close to you, or someone you met at your local club. But for some, finding that person to teach them the necessary skills is not always easy to do.

I have found a solution which will make it easier for modelers to get help in their local area, and an easy method that allows providing and offering help to others in this hobby. I have coined the term for those willing to help others “Model Aviation (MA) Mentors.” The idea is quite simple and it uses an online map program that is available to everyone.

MA Mentors can volunteer to do many things. They can teach others how to fly, build airplanes, or helicopters, or multicopters or whatever you choose. Forums are great, but they lack the personal one on one ability and real time interaction that we get working with people face to face. And as you know, looking at a PC screen is no substitute for a real person.

This idea is great for AMA members because as a newcomer to this hobby some may be intimidated by showing up at a local club field unannounced and they may feel uncomfortable by all the members there with expensive models. This idea offers the AMA member a way to meet newcomers to the hobby and also introduce them to our sport in a "non-threatening" atmosphere.

The online Google Maps titled “Model Aviation Mentors” allows MA Mentors to identify themselves with a location and contact information such as an email address, phone number, or RC forum link so modelers or newcomers in their local area can contact them if they are looking for help. Anyone looking at the map will not know your exact location or address; but they will know your general location to see if you are near enough to provide assistance. This is also a great way to get to know other modelers in your area that you have not met yet. The map is open to all forms of model aviators, model car and boat enthusiasts, as well as those into control line and free flight.

If you would like to volunteer to be a Model Aviation Mentor just let me know.

Map Link: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...fa6f42a3de34bc

AMA Blog Link: http://www.modelaviation.com/modelaviationmentors

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murocflyer; Sep 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:04 PM
United States, NC, Locust
Joined Jul 2001
172 Posts
I'd be glad to volunteer my services. I'm a r/c flight instructor with Cabarrus R/C and Flying Aces. Unfortunately, most of the new folks I've encountered latley show little or no interest in learning the skills of kit building or even doing minor repair.
Chuck
zx32tt is offline Find More Posts by zx32tt
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:39 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx32tt View Post
I'd be glad to volunteer my services. I'm a r/c flight instructor with Cabarrus R/C and Flying Aces. Unfortunately, most of the new folks I've encountered latley show little or no interest in learning the skills of kit building or even doing minor repair.
Chuck
Awesome! Thanks Chuck! I have added you to our map.

I do think that many people do not show interest because they simply do not know anything about making repairs or about building and that scares them. Many people get into this hobby with RTF planes and they never advance from there. Once that crashes or breaks they buy a new RTF.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:53 PM
Addicted to my hobby
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Sign me up for Southern Nevada! I enjoy building and teaching. I have an AMA number but not associated with any clubs right now.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:29 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetrex View Post
Sign me up for Southern Nevada! I enjoy building and teaching. I have an AMA number but not associated with any clubs right now.
You got it! Thanks! And you are our first from NV!

Thanks again,

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:58 AM
Addicted to my hobby
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
You got it! Thanks! And you are our first from NV!

Thanks again,

Frank
It's an honor. Good luck with the list!
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:45 PM
United States, NY, Westhampton Beach
Joined Nov 2006
54 Posts
Sounds like a great idea!

I am one of a few who teach flying in my club on Long Island.

Bill S.
Twin_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Twin_Flyer
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,822 Posts
Thanks Bill! I hope this really catches on and we can get a lot of volunteers and also have people that need help which is the other side of this coin. I know it is hard for people to step out from behind their PC screen and ask advice from a real person.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:08 AM
Joined Dec 2011
14 Posts
I'm in.... Augusta, GA

Sign me up. I'm working with Kids in my community currently teaching RC flight but I will help anyone that wants help. I fly planes and Helis (Scale and 3D) and multirotors. Primarily electric but I have experience with nitro planes as well. Great idea Frank!

I do buddy box, assist with setups, can do some smulation in small group settings and assist with flights and equipment checks.

Vernon Horne
972-379-7290
horndoggtv@gmail.com
Youtube Channel: vmhorne
Augusta, Georgia

AMA Instructor Pilot for Rotors and Props Rc Club, Augusta, GA.
HornDogg is offline Find More Posts by HornDogg
Last edited by HornDogg; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Update
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:44 PM
Lowell, MI
Joined Jul 2005
18 Posts
Mentor

I think the idea is a great one! I am an instructor, club officer, CD and AMA Leader Member. Up for a mentor, can assist with building, setup, flight instruction. We have one of the nicest fields in SW Michigan. (KRAM)
Pm me with details you may need from me.
Mark
Mark1 is offline Find More Posts by Mark1
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,822 Posts
Vernon and Mark,

Thank you gentlemen! I have added you to our map and I (we) appreciate you volunteering! It is great to see folks like you who love the hobby paying it forward.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
I would be happy to participate and currently have a few students I'm training.
I'm in Glendale CA and fly out of the Apollo XI field in the basin. I'm also very close, two mintues away, from the new Glendale field which should be opening soon.

I have a trainer and a buddy box setup, so I'm ready!

Regards,

Jamie
Remanking is offline Find More Posts by Remanking
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined Feb 2009
4 Posts
Mentor program

I have been in the hobby for approximately 40 yrs and have been instructing for Tri- County R.c in central New Jersey. I may be contacted at: ole38hatt@aol.com

Be happy to help

Larry K.
ole38hatt is offline Find More Posts by ole38hatt
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:24 PM
USA, NE, Waverly
Joined Feb 2011
287 Posts
Sign me up!
PM me with any details.
N_O_V8_R is offline Find More Posts by N_O_V8_R
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:32 PM
AMA L647662 - IEQF
Spokane, WA
Joined Sep 2006
4 Posts
Spokane, WA

I'd love to help in any way possible. I fly and can instruct electrics (planes, helicopters & multi-rotors) and sailplanes.

rod
rlorimor is offline Find More Posts by rlorimor
RCG Plus Member