Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:18 PM
Star, ID
Joined Apr 2009
108 Posts
Discussion
Ram 750 turbine

I have two Ram turbines, a 750 and a 750 plus. They have not been used in quite a while. The 750 was rebuilt by Ram, when they were still in business several years ago and has not been run since the rebuild.

The control unit for the for the 750 plus still works ok but the control unit for the 750 won't respond.....

I have been away from the turbine scene for awhile. What would it take to get the 750 back up and running? I am going to assume that other controlling uints are available to make this engine run......any input would be appreciated.....thanks..

Rod
RCS1313 is offline Find More Posts by RCS1313
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:42 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,160 Posts
What style ECU is on the dead engine? Is it an air start, or is it an auto start?

As far as I know... the newer style can still be serviced. BUT... if you are going to bring it back to life, to run... then I would convert it to a Xicoy ECU. You can use your old pump... and you will put on a new magnetic pic-up, and thermocouple. The conversion ECU can be bought for about $250 or less. (depending on $$ conversion)

Here's the conversion info:

http://www.xicoy.com/upgrade.htm

and here's the parts you need:

http://www.xicoy.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_24
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:46 AM
Star, ID
Joined Apr 2009
108 Posts
These are some of the first turbines that Ram put out when BVM was using them exclusively. The 750 ECU was air start only. The 750 plus has an electric motor start motor on it but also has the air start tubing so it can be started either way. Neither one has the "auto start" capability. An external start box had to be plugged into the ECU to monitor the start up procedures with propane and air toggles valves built into it and a digital display.

I have often wished that I had went the Jetcat route when I bought these in the mid 1990's. Not because they do not run good, but because of the auto start capability. Ram did not have the auto start available at the time I purchased these. I packed around a large scuba tank with 3000lb air capacity. So you see these are old school girls....I ought to make someone a good deal on them and get a Jetcat and get it over with. I have the 750 plus in my BVM Mig15 that I have not flown since 2006 or 7 and it only had less than a dozen flights on it. The 750 froze a bearing which caused the real turbine blade to shed some blades. Ram replaced all of the necessary parts for no charge at the time. I have not re-installed this turbine in another plane or used it since.

Part of the reason I pulled these out of storage is because all of a sudden I started looking at the old Hotspot kit I started and set aside several years ago. I have been working on it now and may have it ready for our June jet rally....depends on if I have a functioning turbine/ECU combination. Not sure at this point which way I should or need to go.

Thanks for the info..

Rod
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:05 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1313 View Post
These are some of the first turbines that Ram put out when BVM was using them exclusively. The 750 ECU was air start only. The 750 plus has an electric motor start motor on it but also has the air start tubing so it can be started either way. Neither one has the "auto start" capability. An external start box had to be plugged into the ECU to monitor the start up procedures with propane and air toggles valves built into it and a digital display.

I have often wished that I had went the Jetcat route when I bought these in the mid 1990's. Not because they do not run good, but because of the auto start capability. Ram did not have the auto start available at the time I purchased these. I packed around a large scuba tank with 3000lb air capacity. So you see these are old school girls....I ought to make someone a good deal on them and get a Jetcat and get it over with. I have the 750 plus in my BVM Mig15 that I have not flown since 2006 or 7 and it only had less than a dozen flights on it. The 750 froze a bearing which caused the real turbine blade to shed some blades. Ram replaced all of the necessary parts for no charge at cothe time. I have not re-installed this turbine in another plane or used it since.

Part of the reason I pulled these out of storage is because all of a sudden I started looking at the old Hotspot kit I started and set aside several years ago. I have been working on it now and may have it ready for our June jet rally....depends on if I have a functioning turbine/ECU combination. Not sure at this point which way I should or need to go.

Thanks for the info..

Rod
Contact. Carlos at RTI if you haven't already. From what i have read, they are the RAM experts right now as Carlos worked on the original RAM engines. I have his phone # and .aol email if you would like to contact him directly. pm me if you want it. If you do decide to get rid of them, let me know what your asking.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:51 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,281 Posts
Rod:

Here is a link to the website.
http://rtiturbines.com/index.asp

Give Carlos a call and he can help you out with the engines.

Ed
A10pilot is online now Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:59 PM
Star, ID
Joined Apr 2009
108 Posts
Thanks for the info on Carlos......you joged the old memory and I think Carlos was the one who actually rebuilt the 750 when he was at Ram many years ago...I will get in contact with him and see what needs to happen.

Rod
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:54 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
If you want to part with the 750 airstart, drop me a line. I am loving these engines.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:18 PM
Star, ID
Joined Apr 2009
108 Posts
I would have to say that I'm surprised, that with all of the newer technology since the mid 90's....that there still seems to be quite a bit of interest in these turbines.

I suppose the real tech changes revolve around the ECU's, auto start, kero start, etc, stuff, and except for size and thrust capability the engines have internally stayed pretty much the same in the way they operate.....If I do decide to make a switch I will start trolling for an outlet.

I left Carlos a message, but he has not responded yet...

Rod
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:23 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,019 Posts
Carlos also sells and installs full auto start for the RAM750. He did the install on mine. I bought it used so I dont know the cost etc.

Wise move going to Carlos for this engine.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:14 AM
Star, ID
Joined Apr 2009
108 Posts
Not having much luck in contacting Carlos. Phone messages and an email have garnered no response as of yet...is he still in business?

Rod
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:28 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1313 View Post
Not having much luck in contacting Carlos. Phone messages and an email have garnered no response as of yet...is he still in business?

Rod
I spoke to him on Friday. Just keep calling. He is always busy.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,281 Posts
Rod:

I agree with Steve, just keep calling him. I talked with him multiple times a few weeks ago and he answered each time I called. Might try calling him during the day.

Ed
A10pilot is online now Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:08 AM
CHC
United States, TX, Friendswood
Joined Aug 2008
25 Posts
Got a converted full electric auto start 750plus also. Works great. The ecu can also be repaired by Bob Price, who invented it. At least a year ago he would still work on them.
CHC is offline Find More Posts by CHC
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:21 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHC View Post
Got a converted full electric auto start 750plus also. Works great. The ecu can also be repaired by Bob Price, who invented it. At least a year ago he would still work on them.
CHC, how do I get ahold of Bob? I have an ecu that needs help. It will start and run the engine but will not communicate back to the gsu. I also cant idle it down with the start button when I have a high rpm start. I know its the ecu as my other one works great, just as it's supposed to. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:03 PM
maryland
Joined Jun 2002
24 Posts
I had two Ram750's one I bought new and the other slightly used over ten years ago. I sold both when we started selling JetCats once Ram went out of business. I wished I had kept both of them. They have been bulletproof engines for the two new owners and as of our last conversation neighter have yet to need servicing even after all these years. Those air start motors were the best engines Ram ever made. Also as I am sure some people already know the only difference between a 750, 750plus and 1000 was how well balanced they were and how comfortable Ram was turning up the pressure and Rpm's other wise they had all the same internal parts for what I was told by a ram rep back then.
ron stahl is offline Find More Posts by ron stahl