SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:39 PM
RC Heli Junky
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
Help!
Battery questions

ok so im looking to upgrade my heli's battery for some longer flight times. my heli is a 3D, 450 class with a brushless motor. im not sure on the draw amount on my motor but i think its around 15-20 amps in a hover. the battery im using now is a 2200 mAh Li-Po battery. does any one know the max size i can go to and still be able to fly stable? i think i get about 8 - 10 min flights now but i would like more time.
countrybo89 is offline Find More Posts by countrybo89
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:12 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybo89 View Post
ok so im looking to upgrade my heli's battery for some longer flight times. my heli is a 3D, 450 class with a brushless motor. im not sure on the draw amount on my motor but i think its around 15-20 amps in a hover. the battery im using now is a 2200 mAh Li-Po battery. does any one know the max size i can go to and still be able to fly stable? i think i get about 8 - 10 min flights now but i would like more time.
8-10 minutes is really good and pretty much the best you can expect from an electric heli.

Going bigger with the battery will have diminishing returns at a certain point. The larger Mah pack will be heavier, pull more amps and cancel out any gains. It may also throw off the helis balance.

Not all packs are created equal for same Mah and C Rating, so you could look around and see if you can find some packs that are lighter than what you are using now. Then you could go a little bigger and still be at the same weight. We are only talking about another minute of flight or less here though no matter what you do.

Three cell packs are dirt cheap these days. My suggestion is just buy more packs if you want more flight time, and enjoy the 8-10 you are getting now.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:24 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,475 Posts
I would suggest that you keep your heli as light as possible and simply buy more batteries rather than a single big one. Set your timer for six minutes (if you fly until the motor cuts out at 8 minutes, you're damaging the battery) and then swap batteries when the alarm sounds. I'm actually planning on getting more even for long distance quads since two 2200mah weigh just as much as a single 4400mah. May as well standardize and make all my future RC run off that.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:20 PM
RC Heli Junky
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
thank you so much or the info
countrybo89 is offline Find More Posts by countrybo89