Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:38 PM
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
United States, PA, Farrell
Joined May 2010
679 Posts
Build Log
Bridi Super Kaos .60 Build

After dealing with the complexity of my UFO Build I feel the need to build something simple. By simple I mean your basic 4-channel airplane with no paint, no pipe and no retracts. A simple classic that should go together relatively quickly i.e....less than three years!

Back in High School I had a Super Kaos Jr. which was powered by a K&B .40. It was one of my favorite airplanes and I was planning on scratch building another one. But, a while back the opportunity came up to purchase a Super Kaos .60 kit. So I purchased the kit thinking it would save some time over a scratch build.

For some reason the kit came with two sets of plans. Which is cool, I can build over one and save the other.

Ralph
R_G is online now Find More Posts by R_G
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:54 PM
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
Joined May 2010
679 Posts
For power I'll be using an O.S. .61 SF ABC that I purchased here in the RCG classifieds. The engine seems to be new and never mounted, but the bearings feel gritty so they will be replaced at some point.

The engine came without a carburetor, but I happen to have a new in package Enya GM-10SB. It fits perfectly in the O.S.case and should work out well.

The muffler will be a stock O.S. unit.

Ralph
Last edited by R_G; Feb 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:03 PM
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
Joined May 2010
679 Posts
The plans show a built up stab, but for some reason the kit came with a two piece sheet version. I glued the two original stab pieces together and was not happy with the weight. The balsa had a density close to basswood! Well, maybe not quite but still a little disappointing, so I decided to go with a built up stab.

Ralph
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:10 PM
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
Joined May 2010
679 Posts
I didn't care for the control horn/elevator joiner that came with the kit, so I made my own joiner and will use a different control horn arrangement. I'll save the original one for some other project.

Ralph
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:27 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,108 Posts
Hey Ralph, looking good Bud!
Pitstop000 is offline Find More Posts by Pitstop000
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JR 28X / JRs Flagship Radio!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:23 AM
CPA# 39
United States, MN, Brooklyn Center
Joined May 2009
742 Posts
WOW! Looking forward to this!

Brian
EscapeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EscapeFlyer
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:28 AM
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
459 Posts
I see the RCM version of the Plans in post #1. Is the Bridi Super Kaos plan any different? If different, which version will you be using? Good job on the built up stab.

I bought the RCM plan versions for the Super Kaos and Super Kaos Jr. a few years back as I planned to scratch build both. I later found out that Lazerworks had short kits of both. The price for the kits have gone up $10 each since I purchased from them. Right now a Super Kaos short kit is $69.35 and the SK Jr. is $56.40. http://lazer-works.com/rcm.html

Bryan
Roguedog is offline Find More Posts by Roguedog
Last edited by Roguedog; Feb 17, 2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:02 AM
Canada, MB, La Salle
Joined Sep 2004
464 Posts
I had the SKJr kit (sold), but still have a copy of the plans. I have the Utter Chaos 40 kit from Bridiariplanes. It's very similar to the SKJr., the tail is different and the airfoil is thinner. For $70.00 (all the wood (no short kit) canopy, engine mount, and landing gear included) you can't beat the price.

Sold my junior kit because I picked up a nicely prebuilt plane for $40.00 (see below) and Tower Kaos 40.

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/utterchaos40.html

Jim
jpurcha is offline Find More Posts by jpurcha
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How time flies
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:01 AM
Jim Johns
United States, AL, Dutton
Joined Jan 2013
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_G View Post
I didn't care for the control horn/elevator joiner that came with the kit, so I made my own joiner and will use a different control horn arrangement. I'll save the original one for some other project.

Ralph
Yippee! Another great build thread.

Any particular reason you didn't go with a Y elevator pushrod, Ralph? It's so much simpler and easier to adjust if needed IMHO.
ReelDoc is offline Find More Posts by ReelDoc
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:44 AM
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
Joined May 2010
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitstop000 View Post
Hey Ralph, looking good Bud!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeFlyer View Post
WOW! Looking forward to this!

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguedog View Post
Good job on the built up stab.

Bryan
Thanks guys!

Ralph
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:48 AM
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
Joined May 2010
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguedog View Post
I see the RCM version of the Plans in post #1. Is the Bridi Super Kaos plan any different? If different, which version will you be using?

Bryan
Byan,

Both plans have the RCM logo on them and they seem to be Identical. The only difference I see is that one of them has the number 526 in the lower right corner just below the title block which happens to be the RCM plan number.

Ralph
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:55 AM
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
Joined May 2010
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpurcha View Post
Sold my junior kit because I picked up a nicely prebuilt plane for $40.00 (see below) and Tower Kaos 40.

Jim
Jim,

Looks like $40.00 well spent to me! Too bad it's a tail dragger though!

Ralph
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:01 AM
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
Joined May 2010
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelDoc View Post
Yippee! Another great build thread.

Any particular reason you didn't go with a Y elevator pushrod, Ralph? It's so much simpler and easier to adjust if needed IMHO.
Thanks Doc!

I want to keep this build as simple as possible and for me a single pushrod is easier to mange than a Y. If I need to adjust the elevators they can always be tweaked slightly by carefully twisting the joiner. Most likely I'll be using Dave Brown fiberglass pushrods.

Ralph
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:06 PM
Canada, MB, La Salle
Joined Sep 2004
464 Posts
Take a look again. As I recall, the Great Planes Kaos 40 kit had the identical plans as the RCM scratch build plan, but the ribs were missing from the kit plans. The ribs were where the photos are shown on your Kaos 60 plans.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_G View Post
Byan,

Both plans have the RCM logo on them and they seem to be Identical. The only difference I see is that one of them has the number 526 in the lower right corner just below the title block which happens to be the RCM plan number.

Ralph
jpurcha is offline Find More Posts by jpurcha
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How time flies
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:31 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpurcha View Post
Take a look again. As I recall, the Great Planes Kaos 40 kit had the identical plans as the RCM scratch build plan, but the ribs were missing from the kit plans. The ribs were where the photos are shown on your Kaos 60 plans.

Jim
I think that Jim might be right here in that GP had the practice of removing information from plans that would aid in building a model from scratch. By replacing the rib patterns with some construction photos, one would have to "re-loft" the ribs if one wanted to build without the kit; or, buy the original RCM plans.

I'm not really sure what it accomplished as the airfoil is shown in the fuse side view and lofting ribs from scratch only requires a root and tip rib. The patterns per se wouldn't be that helpful actually as one wouldn't typically cut out one rib at a time but rather stack band saw them.

I guess GP might have just kept with BHE's plans practice since it seems that it was BHE that added the photos where the rib templates are in the original RCM plans shown below.

Whatever the case, nice build Ralph! This one will give you a little peace of mind during takeoff when you have the UFO sitting beside it waiting for a maiden...

David
doxilia is online now Find More Posts by doxilia