HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:19 PM
Previously "CarsonGamer"
Ray-Ban's Avatar
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Jun 2006
269 Posts
Discussion
Flying Off Sandpaper

Hello all,

I just purchased a Foam F-86 EDF from HK as my first EDF. The aftermath of Hurricane Ivan, here in Pensacola, FL left many empty cement lots where hotels once existed that weren't rebuilt. I can use them as a runway, but the cement is pretty rough.

Conversely, I live right on the beach and would prefer to use the sand if possible. I can imagine that sand into a EDF unit would = bad news, however I was thinking that if I depart on wet sand, then land with the fan completely off, I could get away with murder and not suck any sand into the EDF.

Any thoughts?
Ray-Ban is offline Find More Posts by Ray-Ban
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:31 PM
Registered User
Taman's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
343 Posts
The guy in this link is flying off sand

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1810803

There's a great long stretch of beach where I live but I would have a hard time getting there when its quiet.
Taman is offline Find More Posts by Taman
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:07 PM
Previously "CarsonGamer"
Ray-Ban's Avatar
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Jun 2006
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taman View Post
The guy in this link is flying off sand

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1810803

There's a great long stretch of beach where I live but I would have a hard time getting there when its quiet.
Wow, quite an attitude in that thread.... I'm talking about the plane of course.
Ray-Ban is offline Find More Posts by Ray-Ban
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:35 PM
deltas are cool
AIR SALLY's Avatar
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,163 Posts
to fly off sand i recomend a full inlet duct.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:08 AM
Previously "CarsonGamer"
Ray-Ban's Avatar
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Jun 2006
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
to fly off sand i recomend a full inlet duct.
Can you elaborate?
Ray-Ban is offline Find More Posts by Ray-Ban
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:05 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
ApexAero's Avatar
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
For one you wouldn't want a F-102 because the inlets are low but a F-106 looks the same but the inlets are up higher, L-39 has high inlets and so does a Victory jet and an A-4. Non ducted EDF jets tend to have cheater holes on the bottom, when you taxi to take off ,,,you get the picture. If your gearless and slide off sand to launch like snow, you better go ahead and purchase stock in your favorite fan manufacture...
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Feb 17, 2013 at 07:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:11 AM
Registered User
Double E's Avatar
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
You'll need to either add some wheels or some protective film like they use for RC buggy chassis to protect the bottom of the aircraft. If you have enough power to ROG (rise off ground) then the film is the better option that way you don't have wheels creating extra drag while you are in flight.
Double E is online now Find More Posts by Double E
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:27 PM
deltas are cool
AIR SALLY's Avatar
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonGamer View Post
Can you elaborate?
the sand will be sucked up through the cheater hole (nose gear area) a fiber glass duct would be best ...i had planned to make a molded one for this plane ....but never got to it. some rolled sheet fiber glass might could work.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:01 PM
Previously "CarsonGamer"
Ray-Ban's Avatar
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Jun 2006
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
For one you wouldn't want a F-102 because the inlets are low but a F-106 looks the same but the inlets are up higher, L-39 has high inlets and so does a Victory jet and an A-4. Non ducted EDF jets tend to have cheater holes on the bottom, when you taxi to take off ,,,you get the picture. If your gearless and slide off sand to launch like snow, you better go ahead and purchase stock in your favorite fan manufacture...
I purchased an F86
Ray-Ban is offline Find More Posts by Ray-Ban
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:01 PM
Previously "CarsonGamer"
Ray-Ban's Avatar
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Jun 2006
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
the sand will be sucked up through the cheater hole (nose gear area) a fiber glass duct would be best ...i had planned to make a molded one for this plane ....but never got to it. some rolled sheet fiber glass might could work.
Yeah that's a good point I'll look into that. I don't want to cover up the cheater hole though, correct? Wouldn't that adversely affect performance?
Ray-Ban is offline Find More Posts by Ray-Ban
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:02 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
CoolerByTheLake's Avatar
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonGamer View Post
Yeah that's a good point I'll look into that. I don't want to cover up the cheater hole though, correct? Wouldn't that adversely affect performance?
I think you missed the point.

"the sand will be sucked up through the cheater hole (nose gear area) a fiber glass duct would be best

"some rolled sheet fiber glass might could work".

The idea of a fiberlgass duct is to eliminate the cheated hole.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:36 PM
Previously "CarsonGamer"
Ray-Ban's Avatar
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Jun 2006
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
I think you missed the point.

"the sand will be sucked up through the cheater hole (nose gear area) a fiber glass duct would be best

"some rolled sheet fiber glass might could work".

The idea of a fiberlgass duct is to eliminate the cheated hole.
Maybe I am missing something here. If I land with the fan off and apply no power on the sand, how will it be sucked up into the cheater hole? (please excuse my ignorance, I'm no veteran to EDF's!)
Ray-Ban is offline Find More Posts by Ray-Ban
Last edited by Ray-Ban; Feb 17, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:50 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
PikeStaff's Avatar
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,840 Posts
Think take offs. With cheater hole in immediate prox to nose wheel, and sand kicked up by that.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:17 PM
Previously "CarsonGamer"
Ray-Ban's Avatar
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Jun 2006
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Think take offs. With cheater hole in immediate prox to nose wheel, and sand kicked up by that.
I figured taking off on wet sand would mitigate that but your probably right. Any idea what kind of performance difference not having the hole would make? Might be worth it just to take off on the cement and walk over to the beach about 150yds away.
Ray-Ban is offline Find More Posts by Ray-Ban
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:29 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
PikeStaff's Avatar
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,840 Posts
Well.....

Never tried to fly this one without the cheater hole, or with it obscured. It does take off in a fairly short distance, on stock power, with the hole; maybe the thing to do is to find a big paved area (got any hangar aprons at your disposal there in Pensecola? ) and try takeoffs with and without the hole. Taping anything over the hole on the outside WILL pull paint off on removal, so be forewarned! Maybe just a couple pcs. of reinforced strapping tape on the inside will do it - ought to stick down pretty well.

Short of that.......dunno. It might fly well without the hole; check out the Venom thread, do a search to see if anybody ever tried it.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion only flying 6 inches off the ground, replaced battery... Greggy G Coaxial Helicopters 26 Feb 09, 2013 08:49 PM
Discussion Sandpaper or Paint remover? sbrackets Scale Fuel Planes 9 May 13, 2007 03:50 AM
Help! killing sandpaper like a madman I'm Rick James Slope 9 May 08, 2006 05:36 PM
Discussion Source for scroll saw blades and sandpaper jbrandon Sailplane Talk 0 Mar 11, 2006 07:34 PM
Sandpaper for Viper Twin Wild Bill Foamies (Kits) 2 Feb 21, 2002 02:11 PM