HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:55 PM
Australia, NSW, Narrabri
Joined Feb 2012
183 Posts
Discussion
Contact with the outside world

If anyone is wondering what has happened to my posts.The telling of lies, spreading rumours, denigrating and belittleing me and generally being really antagontic. I'm just sorry I couldn't delete every disgusting post made. To those who turned their backs on me I'm not in the least bothered with and to the rest of the real genuine people I've had the pleasure of meeting, thank you. You too know who you are. It's a shame things turned out this way but looking at the quad it will be you I'll remember, not the glory hunters and anyone who gave nothing but heartache,

I can say that during the two weeks "post tantrum" I have received a total of about 15 emails and PMs from people still wishing to give support ans assistance and in 3 cases offers of more equipment. This has been overwhelming, more so than the original offer. An offer I must add I neither asked for nor even asked if I wanted. Of course I in no way want to detract from the people who accepted me without question and continue to do so.

My only concern since this began has been the ability of a thread being allowed to be hammered to death by unfounded negativity and absolutely nothing done about it. Plus the outright defamation shown on a following thread purely generated to denigrate and belittle myself which was allowed to flourish with complete impunity from either ethics or adherence to the rules of this site.

By far the best thing to grow from this is the friendships of many people already mentioned and the entire Gold Coast contingent of flyers who have also joined in and given support to the point of travelling over 1000km to deliver the Ground Station and give driving instructions.

Apart from a few hiccups The main thing I've personally gained by this entire show is the friendships which were tested but found to be secure. Those are the people I'll never forget. Thank you, every one of you.
cr2o3 is offline Find More Posts by cr2o3
Last edited by cr2o3; Mar 24, 2013 at 09:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:07 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
If anyone wants to join me, I can donate a Flame Wheel 450 frame, 4 DJI ESCs and 6 DJI motors as well as orientation LEDs. That should get you started, PM me your address my friend I will get it out to you Monday.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:30 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,150 Posts
I've got an HK KK2.1 board that I'd love to donate. It's about as simple as it gets, but it flies well when set up properly, and isn't very difficult to set up. No computer required.

I've also got a Spektrum 6 channel receiver I put in there with it if you can find a Spektrum compatible transmitter.

Pm me with your address if you want it.

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,034 Posts
Even silly-sounding ideas have a kernal of genius to them. Effectively you are wanting a quad to become a kind of avatar for you....your extension to let you roam around a bit. I like the fact that you're actively thinking about how technology can be used to give you a bit of freedom. And flying is the ultimate freedom.

From the standpoint of stability, duration (not necessarily range), asset retention, and usability in windy conditions, would it make sense to build some kind of ground-based system that does the same?

I heard of a child here in the States who uses a robot connected to wi-fi hotspots as a proxy for attending school (he is unable). It seems to work reasonably well.

You could certainly carry a bigger battery, and thus have longer duration running about the neighborhood.

This forum is loaded with geniuses (I am not one). Other ideas or thoughts?
dapple63 is offline Find More Posts by dapple63
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:55 AM
Australia, NSW, Narrabri
Joined Feb 2012
183 Posts
What is happening? I have written 2 replies and they have both vanished. I will see if this one makes it.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:31 AM
Australia, NSW, Narrabri
Joined Feb 2012
183 Posts
Now that one did ??
Last edited by cr2o3; Mar 16, 2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:09 AM
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
3,148 Posts
Great uplifting thread this is

The best way to do this would be to try and find something that could take a few knocks and not be put out of action. Something with a protective shell a bit like the AR drone ( obviously a protective shell could be made for any quadcopter ) and then I think the OP must be in need of some fat sharks.

I'm not in the position to be able to ship out parts, but if there is an easy way to set up a donate account for him then I would love to help him out.

This hobby really is an escape for me, so imagine what it would be for someone who doesn't have much chance to escape!
ecks is offline Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:40 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,429 Posts
This hobby is an investment. I thought I could get started for under $300. I was right... but I am now over $500+ in spare parts and upgrades.

You might be able to start with some donations, but after your first wreck, you'll be back at square one.

I suggest, if you really want to fly... and you can't get out of bed. Buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-IN-1-G5-4...item2ec61b43aa

Plug that into your transmitter, and plug your transmitter into your PC.... and then you can fly for hours and wreck a thousand times and not be out a dime.
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:45 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
3,148 Posts
I defiantly agree that a simulator should be used to train. But the whole point of this is so he can get some freedom, I'm sure he could buy a playstation if he wanted to play games.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:49 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,429 Posts
Try programming your Transmitter to run on your PS3.

The simulator is not a game, its a simulator.

If this guy wants to see the "outside world" by FPV camera from his bed... he's going to need to start with a WHOLE lot more than $250, and will have to beg ALOT harder to get enough donations.

I thought I could get started in this hobby for under $300 and boy was I wrong. Sure I got flying for under $300, but now I am close to $1000 invested and I am still working on building a ground station to use my FPV gear.

Baby Steps.....
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:54 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I have a Turnagy 9X transmitter, FrSky Modual and reciever for this project as well. I am checking my parts bin for some FPV equiptment.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:57 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
3,148 Posts
Where on earth did he beg?

A simulator does not give anyone the sense of freedom of flying a model. He's got some money, he's been offered equipment and he has people on here to help figure out how he can go about getting his wish's.

Nobody has to help out, but instead of giving advice to newbies all the time about what parts to buy this thread seems to have a bit more meaning.

Anything is possible. This doesn't seem too far fetched.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:06 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esevilaa View Post
Where on earth did he beg?

Give me a break. He knew well ahead of time by posting this sob story, he would get a few empty hearts to come and shower him with gifts. I have only been a member of this forum for 6 months, but I have seen these types of threads in EVERY sub-forum, and each time someone opens their wallet and starts a rolling donation. Then we never hear back from the guy and a month later some other poor sap comes and offers up another sob story and the cycle continues.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:06 AM
Shipped to work. Wife safe.
Canada, eh?
Joined Jan 2007
794 Posts
Great to see some nice caring folks on here. In the end, I think someone will need to physically be there to help him get set up and a spotter for the first few flights.
Thai is offline Find More Posts by Thai
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:08 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
Great to see some nice caring folks on here. In the end, I think someone will need to physically be there to help him get set up and a spotter for the first few flights.
And someone to make necessary repairs. Someone to tune it. Someone to go retrieve it from a field when he loses orientation and crashes it into the top of a tree.

This hobby really isn't for everybody.
Closed Thread