HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by target, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:49 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
Build Log
Stork 4 Pro X-tail from www.soaringusa.com

Got a hankering for a new TD plane and something a bit less "common" than all the current rides. Enter Stork 4 Pro X-tail.
http://www.soaringusa.com/Stork-4-X-tail.html
http://www.heinrich.sk/index.html
I did a little research and heard some good things but no bad things about them.
The stab arrangement is a bit unusual, but makes a lot of sense to me. It spreads the loads over a large area.

Speaking of area, this plane should be a real performer at slow speeds. It has a healthy fuse length (about the same as a 4.0 Xplorer) and just a 3.56m wing span, so in theory, its got gobs of tail volume. I know that is not very scientific, but hey, I'm not the analyst that some are....

I will be using a LiFe pack, and because I want to do this, my servo choice will be adjusted accordingly.
I am favoring the Hyperion digital servos these days. I have MANY DS-11AMB's in service, and will be trying some of the other servos in their line as well. The Hyperion website states that most of their servos are good to 6.5v loaded, and 7.3v unloaded. That puts them right into the proper voltage range for using a 2S LiFe pack.

I'm a fan of using fairly strong servos for the flaps and stab, so for these positions I am thinking DS-13TMB. They have 116 oz/in of torque at 6.0V! The speed is a little slower than some at .16 sec at 6.0v, so at 6.6v, they should be slightly faster, about .14 sec. I think that is fast enough.
The flaps on the Stork are LARGE! The center panel is about 68" long, about 1.7 meters. This thing should really slow for landings!

Ailerons will receive my favored DS-11AMB's. I have these on the ailerons of my 4.0m Xplorer, and they have been very good and trouble-free the whole time. The ailerons are much smaller in area on the Stork, so they should be up to task without question. The wing tips sweep back, trademark "Stork", and the ailerons terminate in a trileron driven by a metal pin mid-chord of the surfaces.

The fuse is ALL CARBON, and feels very, very strong. The push rods are already all done for you in the fuse, very little work to do. It has a removable servo tray, held into the fuse through the fuse sides with tiny machine screws. That makes it very easy to service.
The fuse also comes with a unique ballast hold down arrangement, and the tube only gets installed when you use ballast, so no extra weight whatsoever when flying without ballast.

Speaking of unique, the tail arrangement is that for sure. The vertical is very easily removed, it "bolts on" with 4 tiny machine screws, and the linkage is a ball and cup for the rudder, very easy to remove. The rudder area is very generous, I can't wait to see how well it works.
I will either use a DS-13 or DS-11 for actuating the rudder.

As mentioned the stab arrangement is very different, and seems like a really robust design. Again, the likely driver for that will be a DS-13 with has tons of torque for the application.

I'm looking forward to flying this interesting plane.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Apr 01, 2014 at 08:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
Reserved
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
Reserved 2
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:50 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
Reserved 3
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
Reserved 4
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
Reserved 5
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
Reserved 6
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:25 PM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Sep 2007
414 Posts
Reserved 7

J/k. When will you maiden her? I have the V-tail version of this one. I like the look of the X-tail. BTW, are you going to the Fresno contest in early April?

Randy
burke757 is online now Find More Posts by burke757
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:48 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burke757 View Post
When will you maiden her? I have the V-tail version of this one. I like the look of the X-tail. BTW, are you going to the Fresno contest in early April?

Randy
Hi, Randy-

Should maiden by the first weekend in March, I think.
Its a pretty easy build. I may have it done before this Sunday and if so, will maiden it this weekend.

So far, I have the flap servos mounted in wooden frames I made, linkages hooked up. Added a rib outboard of the flap servo bay.
Will probably do the same on the aileron bay.
Fuse tray is fitted to the DS 13 TMB servos already.

Component weight total so far looks to be about 57oz.
Should come out under 65oz for sure.

I may or may not go to Fresno. Its pretty far up there for me, and I haven't made ANY OT this year, and so its not looking good.
I'll let you know.

Is the V-tail flying??

R,
Target
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined Sep 2007
414 Posts
Well, good luck if you do take her out this weekend.

I actually have a couple Stork 2's and the 4. The 4 is not flying right now. She had a little accident on a windy day. One of the tips was crunched and the I think the V-tail was damaged. It looks like the v-tail fuse and the X-tail are basically the same from the wing forward. I glued in a tray to hold my servos and also to strengthen up the fuse. She came out to about 68 ounces, which was disappointing considering how much it weighed before balancing. I think I ended up adding about 5 ounces to the nose. I really liked the shape of the fuse. My fuse was 2.4 friendly. It sounds like the X-tail fuse is not. I would really like a larger V-tail for her or the cross tail fuse. I was thinking of converting the wing to mate with a Supra or Xploder fuse.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:28 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
Maiden this morning.
Came in at 66 oz at 104mm CG, but I suspect the CG may come back from there possibly.

The fuse is long and the fin large....Won't fit in the current bag I use with the fin on. :-)
Should fly really nice!

R,
Target
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:43 PM
SHADYBOY
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2005
74 Posts
Hi Target,

Since we share common planes both X4 and Stork4, granted mine are electric. I'm intrested in your comparison. I fly my Stork with the settings on the website however I reduced the A/R comp to about 70%. CG is at 104 but I think I needs to come back.

I choose to fly the Stork over the X this weeked in ALES at SWC primarly because I think it is easier to land. althogh my scores would not indicate that

I find the Stok very easy to fly not that the X isn't.
roseberry is online now Find More Posts by roseberry
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:45 PM
Joined Sep 2007
414 Posts
So how did she fly?
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:30 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
It flew.
I need to spend some time tuning, but it does pull hard on launch, and stop so well.
I have been feeling under the weather this week, so don't hold your breath.

R,
Target
Old Sep 28, 2013, 05:53 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
I added a satellite receiver to the fin of the Stork today.
I have not flown it much because I have noted very poor numbers from my JR data logger and also have experienced a couple of holds in the handful of times I've flown it.

I hope to have a positive R/F link tomorrow with the added rear satellite and the changes I made to the wire/antenna routing up front.

I really like the plane but it's unnerving getting a lockout; I don't want to wreck it.

I'm REALLY hoping that Soaring USA gets the extended (3.8m) tips for this soon.

R,
Target