HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:57 PM
Joined Feb 2006
30 Posts
Discussion
Whats with all the on-off-on-off driving style?

I'm fairly new to rc cars, but I've been into rc helis for almost 10 years and just made the jump to off-road rc.

What I don't quite get is what the benefit of the twitchy blipping of the throttle I see a lot of guys doing with their cars. It reminds me of what the 2-stroke dirtbike/chainsaw crowd like to do.

I don't know, maybe it serves a good purpose, but it sure seems like the opposite of smooth operation, which in just about every other motorsport equals faster lap times.

I get the temptation to do it, but I thought people with a lot of experience would try to be smoother.
dma251 is offline Find More Posts by dma251
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:46 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,159 Posts
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Practice does not make perfect, Perfect practice does!

Reasons for not being smooth are lack of training, lack of understanding, lack of practice, bad set up, bad radio resolution, bad servo resolution, ect, ect.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Feb 2006
30 Posts
I couldn't agree more.

This is the video that got me thinking about it. This is supposed to be a reviewer with experience...

Turnigy Trail-Blazer XB Maiden Bashing Pt1 (4 min 18 sec)

On the throttle, off the throttle, on the throttle, off the throttle. on/off/on/off....

it reminds me of how my brother drives his car. I don't ride with him anymore...
dma251 is offline Find More Posts by dma251
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:57 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,894 Posts
"Mashing the throttle" is also a way to test the behavior of a car, see what traction power it has, if the setup is ok. Any car will accelerate in a straight line when you very slowly build up speed. But if for instance your diff is too soft, a short burst on the throttle will cause a spin out, while the same car, with a diff with thicker oil, can still accelerate in a stable way when giving more throttle.

In the video posted here it's clear the reviewer is testing the car to it's limits. If you look at the part between 2:50 and 3:10 you will see some smooth jumps, so I have confidence the reviewer knows how to handle a car, but this is not a promotion vid from the manufacturer, but to reveal if it can take some abuse.

Personally, I prefere driving smooth, and keep the car at speed, but apart from lack of skill, needing more training, there are other reasons why some "whip around" their cars, instead of going for more "scale like" race driving.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:07 AM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post

Personally, I prefere driving smooth, and keep the car at speed, but apart from lack of skill, needing more training, there are other reasons why some "whip around" their cars, instead of going for more "scale like" race driving.
All the years I raced we never thought about a scale like race. Just who ever got there first. It can depend on that persons preference and the track condition and experience. Driving a smooth line can be tough if you have e few less experienced people in the mix. I knew a few people that liked a loose cars .With the new electric power systems there is so much power in the car it takes a lot of practice to get it to the ground without it getting away from you. When I was racing oval you had to keep a smooth line as possible. You could loose so much speed in the corner. The same is true for on road racing. You might have a little more give in off road racing and the car/trucks have more suspension to cope.Traction conditions change more out doors then on an indoor carpet track.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:30 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,783 Posts
If you actually watch what full size race car drivers do with the pedals, you'll be shocked to see just how much they're pulsing the gas. It might not be visible from the outside, but they're constantly on/off the gas in corners.

This is Ayrton Senna driving an NSX, watch his feet:

Ayrton Senna - Honda NSX @ Suzuka (2 min 55 sec)
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:39 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,159 Posts
Sure they are.
In cars with a abundance of power more closely related to a brushless 2wd car or truck though you will see them use smooth delivery of power.

Cars like these if you mash the throttle you'll end up in the wall backwards explaining to your boss how its not your fault.
Porsche 997 Cup pedal box view around Hockenheim with Sean Edwards (2 min 0 sec)

I am not disagreeing with you or anyone just adding my POV.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:37 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,783 Posts
If you actually watch the throttle cable in that video you'll see there's lots of places he's pulsing power as well.

As for comparing a GT3 cup car to a 2wd brushless buggy, the power to weight and grip isn't even remotely comparable.

Baja truck (not pedal view, but you can hear him stabbing the throttle):
2009 Baja 1000 Trophy Truck #74 BMF Racing (8 min 18 sec)

Rally car (with Colin McRae driving):
Colin McRae Pedal Cam (4 min 39 sec)

Even F1, even though they aren't stabbing it they're still pulsing power to some extent:
Footwork in Formula 1 - Synchronized Sound (0 min 56 sec)

Comparing VERY high grip road cars to an off road buggy isn't useful at all since the available traction is so different. 2wd buggies and trucks spend a lot of time sliding, if you were to just feed power slowly it would either be spinning right out, or be much slower around the track.

Keep in mind this is different than people that treat the throttle like a light switch (either 0 or 100%), but modulating and pulsing power is definitely the fast way around a track.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons