HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:25 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
Beginner

Good evening all

My brother in law has a parkzone mustang and I love it. I didn't have a go as I really didn't want to crash it as its only his second flight. I am going to have a go on his training plane to see how I get on but I would love a mustang. What I would like to do Is mount a small camera on it to get some amazing flying footage. Can anyone recommend a camera and how it would be mounted? Also would the camera effect the handleing/flying of the plane? I am uk based
Toonarmy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Toonarmy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:56 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,405 Posts
You'll definitely want to put a lot of time in on a basic trainer before you step up to any type of warbird. Flying RC planes is actually a lot harder than it looks, and warbirds are pretty close to the bottom of the list of good planes for beginners.

As for the camera, the small HD keychain cameras are excellent for recording in-flight videos. They weigh around 15-18g and won't affect the handling of most parkflyer-sized planes at all. The only thing to consider is that the videos you'll get from a camera mounted on your eventual PZ Mustang won't be very enjoyable due to the speed and maneuverability/instability of the craft. You'd be best off mounting the camera on a slower, smoother plane so that you can get better-looking video.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:54 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Thanks for the information. The key chain camera looks like just what I need.
Does anyone know how to mount it to the mustang?
Toonarmy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Toonarmy1000
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:23 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12,405 Posts
Tape, double-sided tape, Velcro, magnets, string, rubber bands, glue... whatever you want. The mounting method will somewhat depend on the physical location on the model, but as long as it's mounted securely pretty much anything will work.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:24 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12,405 Posts
... But don't even think about trying to fly a Mustang without a fair bit of fight time spent on a proper trainer. Your videos will be short and boring and might involve small pieces of foam.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:41 PM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,067 Posts
TA1k- just chiming in to second what CH is suggesting. I'm in this hobby only a couple months and have the same idea to fly warbirds and airborne cameras. Bought the keychain cam but the warbird is further down the road. The learning curve is much easier with a slow trainer like a Champ, Cub or other high wing Cessna style plane. I have not flown the camera yet so I can't post a link to a video of 30 seconds of a flight .....and that would be 3 to 6 seconds of erratic sky and ground footage plus 20 to 26 seconds of blades of grass, weeds, a few pebbles , maybe some white foam while I walked to the plane to turn off the camera. That would have been the case had I tried it without simulator time and a very forgiving trainer airplane. Not to discourage you, but to encourage you to do it right and be rewarded for doing so.

But I can give you this link to my favorite playground in my neck of the western US desert. I plan on doing this type of video soon. Notice at second :12 the pilot strikes the rock with his wing tip. And that is with seeing what the plane sees.

EPIC FPV ! Most Beautiful Aerial Desert Flying EVER! - Moab, Utah (7 min 47 sec)

When you get good, post us some of your beautiful green countryside.
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:54 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,962 Posts
Nice video, thanks for the link. I'm going to watch the Rockies vid now.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:08 PM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,067 Posts
Ron- you're welcome! For 30 years, I lived in NC, daughter lived in sumter a while. Now Moab is our fav vacation spot just a few hours south of me. Amazing footage and I have stood where the plane flew by, hence when I get good my GoPro goes airborne on my slow stick. Maybe as soon as this summer.
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0