HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by renatoa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:36 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
Build Log
JRSky - birth of a dream radio

Will start here the build log of what I would like to be for me the best radio I can imagine, with available technology, of course.

The case used in the project is of an ancient, less known radio, having an incredible build quality for the money it could cost if you are lucky to find it somewhere for sale.
I wouldn't call it vintage, because it still looks very modern, built like a tank on an Aluminum frame, with masking parts from plastic. Once again, it is very rare, you can find much more easy a 70s Kraft than this radio model.
I hope this intro make you curious enough to start a two days quiz, based on some pictures will post below. The quiz will end when someone will guess the radio model, or Monday, if nobody guess.
More details about this radio after the quiz.

The electronics, well, probably for them most of you are here... this radio will host the electronic of the coming and long awaited first radio of Frsky company, code named X9D, release name to be announced later

Spent the last days measuring everything to be sure there will be nothing mechanical to stop me finish the project, and now I am more confident... will be completed !

Will resume tomorrow with some board pictures and first questions about Frsky electronics. Good luck guessing
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Mar 03, 2013 at 02:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:04 PM
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Mar 2010
58 Posts
Old school durability and modern tech. Keep up the good work
sean.belardo is offline Find More Posts by sean.belardo
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:47 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
subscribed.
what's your goal here ? don't you like the finishes and material quality of the new X9D" ?
I think it's a JR PCM 10S, touch screen panel, analogic voltmeter and trims... too much work ahead.
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:56 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
Yes, let's say I don't like gray

Close, but no S I forgot to add the quiz is for amateurs only
D'oh, hoped the quiz to last longer...

Less work than you imagine, wait a bit and will see.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:47 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,652 Posts
.€ ;?
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:45 PM
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
492 Posts
I too have a 10S with all analog trims with damaged LCD sitting on the shelf waiting for a conversion.

Was thinking Arduino mega but open to other ideas.
Hugh P is online now Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:12 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
More radio pictures, back, and cover removed.

The top PCB board, covering the sticks, seems to host ADC electronics and also gather upper controls wiring, route them to the connectors in lower part of the board, and from there further to the mainboard, hidden under battery compartment.

This board will go, and will be replaced by a copy made from PCB universal board for electronics testing, cut to the size of former JR board. This replacement board will also host Frsky back board.
Last edited by renatoa; Feb 17, 2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:15 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
Battery plastic enclosure removed, the rounded piece attached on the foreground side is the FM antenna holder, if you want to unscrew for transport.
This piece will go, is not same plastic as the battery compartment, kept only by some glue drops, easy to detach.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:47 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
And now, the first look inside, of bygone boards ...
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:59 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
Boards removed, this is the empty shell, a single Aluminum plate from bottom to top, bent in several place, or maybe a custom extruded Alu profile... CNC touch seems required only for sticks and trim openings.
Not a Jeti massive block CNC, but still a very solid and trusty frame, with less investment I guess...
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:06 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
On the radio front, after removing the plastic mask holding also the touch screen, we have access to the display panel.
To dismount was more difficult than telling here, a tough adhesive tape was used, and some hot air was needed to be applied from inside to let it go.
Last edited by renatoa; Feb 17, 2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:52 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
Ok, to finish with the old side of the project, and switch to something new... and maybe something blue the radio is a 10 Z-PCM, not S !
JR PCM 10Z is even older than 10S, the PCM implementation was 9 bit (512 steps), while 10S was 10 bit (1024 steps).
My guess about 10Z, based on the lack of information about this system, it was an experiment, with a very short life cycle. The next radio system, the 10S has even now receivers available to buy, about 10Z you can't find even an official manual download link.
The software is awful, very hardcoded to heli functions, and UK JR told me they are no more able to reflash the radio with an aero firmware, because the lack of a tool to write an EPROM
Also, the touch screen operation was very difficult, you must learn by heart a two digit function code, to have access to the screen where you can set Expo, by example.
These facts led to decision to renew the electronic completely.
First was tempted to try the 9X board, but the screen mismatch made this choice not attractive, so delayed the project indefinitely.

And now, as promised, the new part of the project, the Frsky electronics, consisting of three boards:
- the mainboard with display,
- the back board with a lot of connections: battery, SD card and COM port, all three with access from battery compartment, back module pins, internal module pads, modules switcher, USB plug, and two round jack plugs: trainer and audio, which were removed because will not fit under my back cover, and will be mounted in a lateral wall, connected with wires.
- the main switch board, containing also the NiMh battery charger.

I want to specify from the start that these are still not final boards, and there are some manual soldering performed in a hurry, to finish them in right time to be shipped before Spring Festival holiday break.
So, please, don't complain about what you might consider as poor execution.
Last edited by renatoa; Feb 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:58 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
And now something blue
The Frsky display fits almost perfectly in the original 10Z display mask !

The board is completely unconnected, power pins only, so it is stuck in this introductory screen, waiting for something.
Will see in the next days, as I start to wire the old case controls to the board.
I expect also next week the most recent build of openx9d, and will see some screens of this alternate firmware too.
Last edited by renatoa; Feb 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:06 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,015 Posts
This is the last time you see the mainboard and display fitted together this way, as they come from factory.
That's because will separate them, the case massive Alu frame force me to this approach.
The display will come in front, and the mainboard inside.
Some Alu dremeling will be required to allow pass the backlight connections, those pins labeled A and K, and also the central flexible PCB cable between display and mainboard. I'll be back when this part done and display is mounted.

Also, another major change, the six menu control mainboard switches will be removed, to be mounted elsewhere, and this is so far my most challenging issue... any suggestion will be welcomed !
Last edited by renatoa; Feb 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:08 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
the best solution here, small and easy to install is a 5 position switch or 4 way navigation switch

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...540-ND/1963301

http://www.apem.se/files/apem/brochu..._datasheet.pdf

http://www.newark.com/navigation

http://www.alpha-crucis.com/en/153-p...d_category=153

http://www.e-switch.com/entity/tabid...n/default.aspx

Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Last edited by Mikarro; Feb 17, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)