HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Dec 2012
109 Posts
Just so you are perfectly clear... you do realize I am not doing PWM, right? I mean my Arduino is not doing PWM. The transmitter and receiver still are just like any conventional TX & RX. What I'm doing is hacking the inputs -- I'm not touching the PWM being generated. It would be simliar to adding a robot to physically push the gas pedal and a brake in a car. I'm taking out the control sticks completely and replacing them with Arduino-controlled chips that serve the same function as the analog potentiometers. In other words, the resistance across the wires that would normally change while pushing the sticks still changes... only this time it changes digitally from the Arduino without any mechanical linkages. This is different from intercepting and changing the PWM or sending serial data to the serial port on a transmitter.
Skystream is offline Find More Posts by Skystream
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:07 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,586 Posts
Hi Skystream,

Yes, understood. This thread is open to exploring all ideas and methods, not married to any one in particular. Hopefully others will join in with their designs, and then also open a separate thread to detail their implementation as you, Danny, Josse and cadmunkey have done.

Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:56 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh View Post
Did you install SM Bus?

sudo apt-get install python-smbus

(SMBus = System Management Bus)
that I do not think I did.. I followed various tutorials on getting the thing good for GPIO, but I don't think any of them included that particular step.. it will be employed the next time around. the biggest thing I can say is the install gave me an erroron install, then showed it was up to date so any further actions were canceled, module not found when looking for it via python.
other wise.. the thing runs like a champ..
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:45 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
HA! got it!
made the dang LED blink on GPIO! looks like it was all user error on my part. I was trying to run the program from the idle program and all the header stuff put on top of the program when you open the shell was giving me all those syntex errors.. stripped all that stuff out in the notepad, then ran the *.py program from a root terminal and it worked just fine.

alright.. I gotta take an official class on this stuff or something.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:39 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,586 Posts
I made a diagram that helps explain what we are going to do, hopefully this will make it a little clearer for anyone who wants to jump in.

Pete
Last edited by blutoh; Feb 23, 2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Revised diagram
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:15 PM
Australia, WA, Garden Island
Joined Nov 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh View Post
I made a diagram that helps explain what we are going to do, hopefully this will make it a little clearer for anyone who wants to jump in.

Pete
IMHO, the Pi should be the base station, with its much more advanced GUI capabilities, and arduinos should be onboard for simplicity and a larger range of available shields, well that's how id do it. Unless you were doing dynamic positioning or something like that, then it'd be a pi for the base station and a Pi or Arduino Due onboard (ARM based but lower power draw than the Pi).
Deckie is online now Find More Posts by Deckie
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:50 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckie View Post
IMHO, the Pi should be the base station, with its much more advanced GUI capabilities, and arduinos should be onboard for simplicity and a larger range of available shields, well that's how id do it. Unless you were doing dynamic positioning or something like that, then it'd be a pi for the base station and a Pi or Arduino Due onboard (ARM based but lower power draw than the Pi).
well... he is... he's using a Arduino as a controller to talk the the Pi and Arduinos on board. I'm presuming the pi is for heavy computing and sound playback ( an MP3 shield can do that though. )
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:17 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
well... he is... he's using a Arduino as a controller to talk the the Pi and Arduinos on board. I'm presuming the pi is for heavy computing and sound playback ( an MP3 shield can do that though. )
Right Beer Gnome. But the advantage to doing sound on the Pi is that with the software it is polyphonic, 8 simultaneous channels. We can't get that from an mp3 shield hooked to an arduino. And the mixer software is Open Source, so no additional expense either. later the Pi will serve additional functions, this is just the frist phase.

Pete
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:28 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
right-o, remembered that from your other thread on the matter.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:46 AM
Joined Nov 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
Hmmmm, but using a pc connected to an Arduino to talk to the Pi...... I'm sure we can remove the base station arduino and find the right adapter/dongle for the PC/tablet so that it may talk directly. One more device out of the equation
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:16 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Hoogvliet
Joined Jul 2008
286 Posts
I think people underestimate the power of the arduino. We just have to use things where they are good at. Arduino is a handy little device for a lot of things with sensors and analog inputs (the GPIO don't like analog). Apart from that, it has a large user-base and libraries to make it simpler. I allready have a complete working RX/TX systeem working, the Rasppi is just an extra for stuff like sounds or stuff that need more power. I have a normal computer talk to a little Nano with nothing then a NRF24L01 (cheap and large range) to talk to my boat, but also a converted transmitter. My transmitter doen's need a lot of smart stuff, just throw a few commands, the boat has to be the smart one.

Danny

EDIT: Arduino is also easy to learn/use. Not only programmers can rebuild it for themselfs.
Dutchraptor is online now Find More Posts by Dutchraptor
Last edited by Dutchraptor; Feb 24, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
460 Posts
It's not the power of the devices it's the extra device where it may not be needed......

On another note, regarding Dynamic Positioning and the problem of non-scale anenometers for wind speed and direction, why not make that part of the base station instead? wind conditions are not likely to vary too much over the comparatively small distances we'll be using.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:22 AM
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
1,336 Posts
Hi Deckie,

If your talking Dynamic positioning I think that gyroscopes will be much more accurate as it only measures movement.
The smaller the movement it detects the more accurate it becomes but it's easily more accurate and cheaper then GPS and will most likely take up much less trial and error then trying to correct movement based on wind force and direction.

Greetings Josse
tweety777 is offline Find More Posts by tweety777
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:53 AM
Joined Nov 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety777 View Post
Hi Deckie,

If your talking Dynamic positioning I think that gyroscopes will be much more accurate as it only measures movement.
The smaller the movement it detects the more accurate it becomes but it's easily more accurate and cheaper then GPS and will most likely take up much less trial and error then trying to correct movement based on wind force and direction.

Greetings Josse
That's an excellent Idea!

However, out of curiosity I'm googling various solid state Gyro's and price results are not encouraging:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Y520_Gyro.html

$129.99 for the one. This is significantly more expensive than a combination GPS module and accelerometer. I'll keep looking.

EDIT:

Interesting article on the difference between cheaper accelerometers, and gyroscopes:

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...the-difference
Last edited by Deckie; Feb 25, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:38 AM
Joined Dec 2012
109 Posts
I second the fact that the Arduino has a lot capability. I'm controlling 4 digital pots channels and 2 rgb leds all from the same 2 pins. I'm controlling a serial MP3 player with another 2 pins, a 16x2 LCD with another 2 pins, and 2 analog sliders and a rotary encoder - all from an Arduino UNO and I still have unused pins plus room to run even more i2c bus chips on the same 2 pins I'm already using for i2c.
Skystream is offline Find More Posts by Skystream