SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:12 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
Discussion
6CH Transmitter Controls

Hello All!

Just got into RC Helicopters like 3 weeks ago and I love it! Maybe this is a dumb question, I'm not sure, but how do the 6CH transmitter controls differ from a 4CH transmitter? I mean as far as stick control goes. On a 6CH helicopter, does the helicopter lean and move right when you push the right stick to the right on the TX? Does it move forward when you press the right stick up? I feel like I'm missing something but I can't figure it out. Help would be appreciated!
aaronmichael is offline Find More Posts by aaronmichael
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:27 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
The sticks functions the same. There really is only one more channel needed (5 not 6), and that is pitch control, which works in conjunction with the throttle. The 6th channel is remote gyro gain, which isn't necessary any more.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:34 AM
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The sticks functions the same. There really is only one more channel needed (5 not 6), and that is pitch control, which works in conjunction with the throttle. The 6th channel is remote gyro gain, which isn't necessary any more.
Interesting. What would be the stick movement for say a roll?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:37 AM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,202 Posts
With a 6 channel Helli mode 2 the left stick forward and back is throttle and collective pitch or put simply blade positive and negative pitch and left right on the stick turns the tail left/right . The right stick push forward and reverse Helli goes forward and back wards push stick right or left and Helli slides/rolls left or right. So basically the difference is the collective/pitch on throttle other than the mixing with the six channel
skyeblu is online now Find More Posts by skyeblu
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:46 AM
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeblu View Post
With a 6 channel Helli mode 2 the left stick forward and back is throttle and collective pitch or put simply blade positive and negative pitch and left right on the stick turns the tail left/right . The right stick push forward and reverse Helli goes forward and back wards push stick right or left and Helli slides/rolls left or right. So basically the difference is the collective/pitch on throttle other than the mixing with the six channel
You quoted my question better than I did in the beginning - hahah. What do the left and right stick do to the helicopter when moved in any/all of their capable directions? That's what it should have been. Okay, so to make the helicopter have lift, you would push the left stick up and to the right? Sorry, total noob!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:20 AM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,202 Posts
For general straight up lift move the left stick straight forward/ increase thottle no left or right input unless the helli starts to rotate/turn left or right.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:28 AM
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
Then once the rotor is up to a certain RPM, the blades will naturally pitch creating lift, correct?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:36 AM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,202 Posts
Depends if talking fixed pitch or collective. With FP/4chan increasing thottle increases head speed and gives lift because of blade airfiol with the CP/6chan. increasing throttle mixes in the pitch control and the servos move the swash to increase or decrease blade pitch. with a CP you can run a flat throttle curve say 80* but then everthing depends on the pitch mixing for the blades.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:44 AM
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeblu View Post
Depends if talking fixed pitch or collective. With FP/4chan increasing thottle increases head speed and gives lift because of blade airfiol with the CP/6chan. increasing throttle mixes in the pitch control and the servos move the swash to increase or decrease blade pitch. with a CP you can run a flat throttle curve say 80* but then everthing depends on the pitch mixing for the blades.
Thanks for that information, I think that makes sense. I flew a crappy 3ch coaxial helicopter for a little less than two weeks. It was a friends. Once I gave it back, I went ahead and bought myself a 4CH FP (WL Toys v911). I've been flying that for a week and a half or so. Just want to be informed about the stick controls on a 6CH heli before I actually try to fly one.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:55 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,265 Posts
Put simply, when moving from a fixed pitch to a collective pitch. The controls are basically the same, but when you hit the idle up switch, you essentially lose control over your throttle and it goes into full power permanently. The only thing you will be controlling with the 'throttle' stick now, is the pitch angle.

That's the throttle.

For the cyclic, the 4ch controls velocity, a 6ch controls acceleration. On a 4ch, if you push the cyclic forward slightly to make the heli creep forward slowly it'll keep going that slowly until you let go. On a 6ch, if you push the cyclic forward slightly the heli will slowly roll forward, the further it tilts forward the faster the heli goes. if you don't let go it will go all the way upsidedown and the come back up from the other direction like a rolling ball (of course, the heli would likely have crashed by then).

Consequently, the only way for you to safely shutdown a CP heli is with the throttle hold. If you were to switch to normal mode to get your throttle control back, you risk crashing the heli when the pitch and throttle mix suddenly changes.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Feb 16, 2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:08 AM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,202 Posts
If the v911 is has a offset flybar you need to learn a standerd FP like the msrx or a small quad first in all orentations first if not it could get expensive. I have the msrx and the mqx and let freinds fly or should I say hover the mqx over a soccer feild with nice cushy grass and if they can handle it I let them try the msrx, or if I think they might be able to handle them my mcpx or my blade nano cpx. I Know their are other small quads and helli's but the blades are what I know. So I use them as training tools in that order the quad gets crashed allot and has held up well and it will teach all the controll to fly any helicopter with enough and proper use. All these helli's are pretty durable the nano when I crash it 9 times out of 10 I put it on the skids and fly again if I have to fix anything most times things snap back into place and off I go. And I do fly 450's also sport and scale fuselages. no 3d
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:50 AM
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll worry about upgrading when it's time to upgrade and get everyone's opinion on that. In the meantime, another newbie question: is the function of the collective pitch only to give the helicopter lift? I know the height controlled on 4ch FP helicopters is controlled by RPM's whereas the lift of the 6CH CP is controlled by pitch. But how else does the collective pitch function? My v911 dives when I tell it to go forward full throttle. I heard that doesn't happen on CP helicopters. Is that because of the collective pitch or because of swashplate design?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:13 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,265 Posts
Yes. Changing the pitch changes the lift capability of the helicopter. The cyclic gets mixed in with the pitch so you will still get less pitch on one side when you move the collective stick, but the overall pitch will still go up if you give more pitch.

The v911 becoming erratic at high speed is more on the quality of the head design. The v911 is a very rugged heli, but the build quality isn't exactly high precision. The swash plate on the v911 is only held at two points. The third point is held by a vertical path but you can move that with your finger up and down, the swashplate is inherently loose and does affect flight performance. On a 6ch, the swashplate is on a tripod, very secure. When you tilt the heli forward, it really does go precisely forward.

There is no set rpm or pitch angle that will give you a specific altitude. On a 4ch, you give it this much throttle, it goes this high. On a 6ch, throttle is constant, you give it this much pitch, it will go up... and up... and up... and up... until the air density can no longer support it. To hold it at a specific altitude, you will be continiously moving the throttle (or rather the pitch) stick up and down. You think keeping a heli inside a square is hard because it keeps sliding like it was on ice? Imagine holding position inside a cube ten feet in the air.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member