SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:46 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,050 Posts
Discussion
Best builder I know

Went over to my best friend's house today. We took a Lazy Bee out he got as a basket case. (It looks a LOT better now) it was the second outing with it and after a little re-balancing (I looked up the CG instead of eyeballing it... ) it flew like a charm. The previous weekend we took his Senior Telemaster out. It started out as a broken up kit that had been robbed for parts. He threw the stab and wing ribs out (not cut well enough to suit him), almost all of the spar stock (warped and too heavy), and most of the fuselage wood. New ribs sanded to shape with sheet and strip stock cut from balsa 4 x 4s selected for the purpose, cut and sanded. Both the Lazy Bee and the Telemaster have the Hobby King covering on them. Works GREAT! I took some pictures of his Ranger 30 made from plans found here on RCGroups, his Bubble Dancer (#6 of 7 he has built), a Bogie 72 (GREAT kit, BTW), and his SE5 from MAN plans (the fiberglass cowl has cooling vents and scale exhausts from carbon fiber and metal). The stock YS muffler would not get out side of the cowl, so he turned a new one and threaded it to fit. While I was at it, I took a couple pictures of his shop......
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Last edited by Mel Duval; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:53 PM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
that is quite the eclectic collection there. I really enjoyed the pictures
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:18 PM
USA, North Alabama
Joined May 2007
166 Posts
Wow, Mel he has a lot of planes in the shop. Lazy Bee looks real good. Glad you kept it under control last weekend for another day in the air.

Post some more if you get a chance.
WheelzzzUp is offline Find More Posts by WheelzzzUp
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:26 PM
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Wow what an amazing hanger! I have a lazy bee and its a blast to fly. I was wondering what the white plane with NR-2Y on the wing in gold was? In the second to last picture. It looks really nice, I may want to build one sometime.
gjap is offline Find More Posts by gjap
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:09 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,427 Posts
Your friend does excellent work !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:24 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjap View Post
Wow what an amazing hanger! I have a lazy bee and its a blast to fly. I was wondering what the white plane with NR-2Y on the wing in gold was? In the second to last picture. It looks really nice, I may want to build one sometime.
Howard DGA-3, "Pete" racer. ( http://howardaircraft.org/DGA_3.htm )

I believe there's more than a couple plans and/or kits "out there" of this classic, Golden Age racer!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:07 PM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
724 Posts
Mel,
Looks like Rae, and if it is, he is one of a kind. Miss flyin' with you guys.
AC
Asher Carmichael is online now Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:16 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,203 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Always neat to look in on someone else's workshop.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52