Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:29 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Discussion
Warning, Paraboard burn

Hi Guys,

I learned something new today the hard way. I have a paraboard with T plugs on it. At the end of a charge today of six 4S 5000 mAh packs I be gan removing the packs from the board and while attempting to hold down the paraboard with my left hand as I pulled the plugs of the remaining two packs, I inadvertently touched one of the exposed male T-plugs with my wedding band. Burn baby burn! Damaged my wedding band and left a constant reminder that is burning as I type this.

I thought I would post something about it to maybe save someone else from suffering th same fate.
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:35 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,760 Posts
LOL but sorry to read of your pain.
I no longer wear my wedding band after to my brother in law got his between a car body ground and + of a PB battery. that was over 30 years ago and it still shows.
At least that is what I told my wife...
Keep it clean.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:42 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,966 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Terry and hope that it heals swiftly!

I witnessed the same last summer with a T-Plug parallel board. Not 10 minutes after I cautioned the fellow to always keep unused T-Plugs covered with the included rubber caps, he shorted his wedding band after connecting three 6S 5000mAh packs. His burn was a LOT worse than yours.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:05 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,194 Posts
Wow, that's scary, I hope it heals quickly. May be worth considering a change to something with better-shielded/recessed contacts, like EC3/EC5, XT60, etc.

A friend was doing some welding a while ago, he normally wears welding gloves, as you should. But he'd positioned a piece, and was just going to quickly tack-weld it in place, and decided not to grab his gloves (bad idea, of course). A piece of molten spatter landed on his ring and stuck to it, burning his finger nicely. And if he'd tried to yank the ring off, he just would have burned other fingers as well.

Just takes a moment for things to go wrong.
RedOctobyr is offline Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:05 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
I am pretty careful to keep unused T-plugs covered but I was in the process of removing all 6 packs. I had already removed the first 4 only a moment before. I have not been in the habit of putting a cover on as I remove each pack. I usually just pull all the packs and then replace the plug covers. I will have to start a new regimen

Rampman,

I haven't had my wedding band off my hand since my wife put it there 20 years ago. Don't think I'll start now. Just have to learn a new technique for removing the plugs.

Blessings, Terry
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:17 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,161 Posts
Glad this turned out ok. Kudos to Terry for being brave and posting his experience.

I occasionally still hear folks question the value of the fused boards like the MPA or the ePbuddy fused Paraboard. Stories like this can help prevent this for others that transition over to boards with fuses.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:41 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
711 Posts
Years ago a friend of mine was replacing a trolling motor battery in his boat. While installing the new battery he accidentally hit the battery's ground terminal while tightening the positive with a wrench. The now electrified wrench melted his wedding band into his finger. Three surgeries later (1 to remove the ring, 2 to repair the damage) his finger is almost completely normal.

I'm a dirt bike mechanic and haven't worn any type of jewelry for years including my wedding band as it tends to get in the way. After 20 years of hearing about it from my wife I finally had our wedding bands tattooed into a 1/4 sleeve along with our anniversary date. Bad thing is I no longer have a good excuse if I forget our anniversary!
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:42 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Stories like this can help prevent this for others that transition over to boards with fuses.
...or properly shrouded connectors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:13 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,663 Posts
I have posted several times that wedding rings or any metal jewely such as rings,watches,necklaces should not be worn when handling batteries.
My wedding band went on 50 years ago but was never worn to work or during handling rechargable batteries it soon became a stay in a drawer item. I never needed a band of gold tro remind me I was married.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:22 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,636 Posts
I'm planning on using some Powerpole connectors in a high voltage application. I decided to go the extra mile and get the finger proof connectors even though the standard connectors are well protected. Just can't take a chance with these kinds of things.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,357 Posts
I've always feared I would do something like this which is why I've avoid Deans/T-Plugs on everything. Even if you keep the unused ones covered it would be a chore to cover them one by one while removing batteries only to have to uncover them again the next time you charge.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:16 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,966 Posts
I saw something earlier this morning that I have expressed in the past should have been included in the original Deans Ultra connector design. Specifically, the new iMax X200 has a shroud around the blade contacts (photo below) that should certainly reduce or even eliminate shorting accidents as described in this thread.

Build a parallel board with this safety feature and you'll gain a LOT of customers.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:28 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Build a parallel board with this safety feature and you'll gain a LOT of customers.
...or use properly shrouded connectors. LOL. Sorry, I couldn't help myself
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:42 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,966 Posts
Right there with you Greg (and why I am an APP junkie). Fuses and shrouds would be the best of both worlds.

Perhaps the FMA crew is watching and will introduce an MPA with shrouded T-plugs at some point......

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:06 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,161 Posts
APP's here as well. Just had my semi regular APP shock. Went to sort them as I had just picked a new parts organizer. I was shocked that I am almost out AGAIN! I always buy about three times more than I think I will need. But its never enough.

Regarding the shrouded Deans, I don't like that forces the user to pull on the wires instead of the connector.