HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:09 AM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
297 Posts
I am not really sure about the other consequences, what worries me is to modify the design of a proven plane really.

It seems to me that there is already a slot for the rudder movement, if it is not enough you could make it bigger?
gionir is offline Find More Posts by gionir
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:20 AM
Netherlands
Joined Nov 2001
966 Posts
Hi najserrot,

Thanks for selecting the Mustang and for posting this link on my build blog RCM&E forum, I will follow your every step on here doing my best to help in any way I can.

If anyone is interrested in my Prototype build please do checkout this thread
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...23&p=3#1388700

My compliment on the cockpit interieur it really looks great.
But seeing all the plans you have for the model make me kind of worry about the final weight of the model and looks to me your hedding for about 2kg.
Going in that direction will make the model a static model and not a flying model.
For all the plans you have the model should at least be 1.5-2mtr span to carry all the extra weight of the 14 servo's etc etc.

The model retracts are a great option specialy with those legs which will look great on the Mustang.
For all the rest of the option please do think again they are great to us and to do but I do thing you will like a flying model better than a static model.

For the matter on the statizer its in the scale position but its a little bigger than on the full scale, which is done to make the model more stable and fly better.
Thats the reason the stab looks like its a little further back which is not.
The best option for this is to trim a little of the elevator whci will only be a few mm.

Enjoy the build and Iam looking forward to many more pics.

Ton
Ton v Munsteren is offline Find More Posts by Ton v Munsteren
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:33 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
I think both of you are right about keeping things simple. I somehow forgot how small this plane is (but perfect size for me) ... i just thought up those mods after seeing those FMS foamis with such cool features and got a bit carried away...but then again those planes were like 1400-1600 mm...think ill have to save these when i get the chance to build bigger planes.

So i did some thinking on how to simplify stuff and end up with a flying model that is pretty cool

1. out with the actuating canopy (that's 1 servo down)
2. out with the actuating joystick and throttle in the cockpit (3 more servos)

I was weighing the cockpit and it is about 16g. Idecided about the scale cockpit because i really wanted to slap on a super micro FPV gear there someday. I saw these SUper small FPV stuff that some people are using on ultra micro p51 from parkzone.

3. I thought of a way not to use servos on the gear doors (2 servos out)

for the tail gear door, Im just gonna attach them to the tail wheel retracts with rubber bands so it opens when the retracts go down. and closes by tension when the retravs go up

and for the main retracts... like a stick like lever that the wheel pushes up when retracting in the wing there in turn bringing the doors up. Kinda hard to explain but...Imagine an inverted L - shape where the door is the longside and the lever is the short side (open position)...when the wheels go up, it hits the "short side" and pulls the "longside" up

4. im still am not decided about the vent door, i really like it and i have a super micro servo lying around...but well see how much weight ill edn up with... but for the time being batter, motor, ESC, Reciever, And retracts with wheels and servos I end up with 600 g

I weighed all the wood that came withe the kit and i is about 350 grams (so it will be less since not all the wood will be on the plane.

Lets just say everything will be about 1100 g when its done.

wheeeew

So now, the electronics will be much simpler (realized how complicated I made it after reading Gionirs blog)

And about the rudder, Looks like Trimming is better than moving the parts forward. But Ton, how much rudder movement does this plane need?
najserrot is offline Find More Posts by najserrot
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:04 PM
Netherlands
Joined Nov 2001
966 Posts
That sound like some good choices you've made and I do hope you will end up with 1100 gram but to be honest it be be close to 1300 gram if your lucky.

For the rudder movement the 20mm both sides will be good enough.

Ton
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:12 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
so i did some work on the rudder... for internal controls, i bent some 2mm piano wire and then joined them together in a 4 mm brass tube with a solder... basicaly its like a controll horn that is in the inside... to acces this in future repairs, im gonna cut out a small door in the bottom (acess to elevator, rudder and tail retracts)

In my first uild, the 2 elvators were connected with a wooden dowel...hoever in this one, the plan says piano wires... i jut drill a whole and and glue them in or is there a much better way? I
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:49 PM
Netherlands
Joined Nov 2001
966 Posts
How is the build going is there any progress made.

Ton
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:30 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
Not so much....just came back from a trip to germany. ..while i was there took the chance to drop by a hobby shop since my hoby shop here aint got much =( ....got some paint, glass cloth, finnishing epoxy (the man in the shop showed me a finnishing material that does not need glass cloth but just painting the mixture right on the wood. At the time i did not get wht he said since my german isnt so good and niether was his english...i read a bout it when i got home and wished i took that instead....liquid wings it was called...anybody got experience?)

Also got some tools and some small hardware

... now itseaster break....hope weather will be bad for skiing so i can sit and work on the plane

Plan for this week is to finnishthe tail retract and gear doors
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:55 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
Got the tail wheel retracts working now.... good to see some progress

Robart 122 (0 min 46 sec)
Last edited by najserrot; Mar 25, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:05 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
sanded the wings today...but before that, i got hold of a balsa shaver recently and i used it before sanding and now i think its the coolest thing in this planet...now its ready for planking. but before that i need to re-enforce 4th and 5th ribs from the tip for the retracts. Been looking around how to do this.

I saw a build on the RBC spirfire and i think i'll do it that way...

Ihave a question regarding spinners...how does one determine the right size? the plane is 72 mm in diameter where the spinner is attached. Should i get one with 72 mm or lesser diameter?
Last edited by najserrot; Mar 25, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 06:54 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
Finnished the internal elevator and went for a dry run and it worked like magic!

Also, today my firend busted his electric motor and ESC and being a good firend i traded the motor i got for this build since the stores are closed til tuesday... so now i dont have a motor and ESC...which could be a good thing, in a way

I was really thinking to get a 4 bladed prop instead of a 2 bladed one. I know it will be less effiecient and somehow slower (i like slow by the way) . So i was looking at some that are easily available to me and all i can find is a GWS 10x8x4 and E- scale 4 bladed props with variable pitch in 9.5 and 11 inch diameter.

But what motor (kv) do i need for such props do you guys think? 3 cell or 4 cell? the plane will be about 1300-1400 grams

Ive been doing some reading on prop and motor combination and tried out some calculating program and i just dont understand all the numbers and such and i got more confused than in the beginning =).
Last edited by najserrot; Mar 31, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 05:29 PM
Netherlands
Joined Nov 2001
966 Posts
Hi Najserrot,

Heee whats that looks like I missed some pics.
Looks great the tailwheel vdo and making good progress with the build.
Keep up the good work and looking forward to some more pics.

Ton
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:55 AM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
Getting bugged downwith exams at the moment... tom, areyouusing the typhoon t29? What prop size are you using?

And also, was browsing youtube the otherday and stumbled upon your channel...and i saw the twin engine plane you had....how did you make the gear doors actuate on that?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:50 AM
Netherlands
Joined Nov 2001
966 Posts
The prop iam using is a 10x6.

For the geardoors don't think that what Iam using will work for the mustang because on the Beau the legs are dubble so the wire Iam using will not go around the wheel what could happen with one leg gear.

Here some more pics of the Beau its from an RBCkit by the way and a great flyer.

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/albums/...bum.asp?a=9611

Good luck withe your exams.

Ton