HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:33 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
Build Log
RBC kits P-51 Version 2 (1136 mm)

Im just new to rc planes. Got my bixler lik 4-5 months ago but didnt fly it until like 2 months ago since it took me that long to figure out how a computer radio works but it was good that way since i spent a lot of time practing on a simultor i downloaded on my tablet which was really a big help.

like most people here, My heart was set on warbirds and since especially 1/10 scale bec their big but still small enough to cary a round comfortably. I found out that RBC kits in the netherlands has such warbirds.

I contacted RBC kits because I was interested in getting their P-51 mustang a few weeks ago and found out they were working on a newer version that has a more scale fuselage.

I havent seen the old RBC kit P-51 but from the photos i could see that the fuselage has a scale look to it but most of the surfaces are flat. Upon contacting RBC i was informed that the fuselge of the newer version is more scale and rounded like the real deal.

So i ordered one and less than a week later it arrived

this is my second kit. my first was a 1/12 scale mk tempest from warbirds.com.

Th P-51 kit came with all the wood material needed to complete the plane (stringers, leading edge, trailing edge,balsa planks for covering) and some hardware (piano wire, ca hinges, control horns, bolts and screws)

the wood quality is really really really good. and the parts a well cut (looks like with an CNC) and it came with a Cd with build pictures and P51 mustanf information and some scale details. And a huge CAD drawing came with it,

the CAD drawing is however not 1: 1 with the actual model. But it is not need since the parts are acurately cut and fits like a jigsaw puzzle. It is needed only as reference.

It did not come with any instruction booklet so previous build experience is need.

Here are my plans for the plane:

1. It will have retracts. I got some mechanical retracts for the wings and a robart 122 retract for the tail wheel

2. it will have gear doors (havent figured out how to do this quite yet

3. It will modify the wings to accomodate flaps

4. I will use hidden linkage. Came across RDS system while doing some research and i think i will use this. My problem is its so expensive (im a student) if i buy it from the USA (im in norway). I tried looking at European shops but havent found one that doesnt cost a weeks worth of food. I know i can easily build one except for the part that connects the steel shaft to the servo (dont know how to call that)....can any one point me to the right direction?

5. It will have a scale fusulage. I have a 1/48 scale p 51 cockpit and decided to build a bigger one to fit this plane out of balsa and a crap load of creativity

6. it will have a canopy that opens and closes with a click of a button

7. retractable vent door. I havent figure this one out yet especially the tailwheel door

8. It going to be electric. 3 cell 750 kv motor and 40 amp esc

9. I cant decide if it will be a 2 prop or a 4 prop

10. im going to glass it

11. iŠll try to build it as scale as possible
najserrot is offline Find More Posts by najserrot
Last edited by najserrot; Feb 16, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:28 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
So i Started on the fuselage. Very straight forward and easy. Im using wood glue for this plane. I used CA glue on my last build and it dries soquickly before i could have the parts in the right place and most importantly it irritates my skin and my eyes and what not. so this time only wood glue for everything. I got a syringe with a needle to apply the glue since i have a lot of control to where ex<ctly i want the glue and also the amount of glue. so there will be less excess which means less sanding and less weight
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:41 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
oh, and it will be a .......
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:01 PM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
244 Posts
Looking awesome dude, I am considering getting one of their kits too, subscribed to the thread and good luck!

Gio
--
my RC resource
gionir is offline Find More Posts by gionir
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:36 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
thanks, if you go get one, we can compare notes

i did ome work on the wings. I decided not to finnish the fuselage since the electronics (servos, motor, esc) and hardware (rds system, retrats) did not arrive yet. I think it would be more convinient to install or position all these compoenents whilst the fuselage is not yet all planked up (less elbow room)...
Last edited by najserrot; Feb 18, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:48 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
cockpit

got time to work on the cockpit today... all balsa and very light
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:36 AM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
244 Posts
That is looking sweet! Is it scratchbuilt right? It doesn'l look being part of the kit
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:11 AM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
yep, i based it on a tamiya 1/48 scale p 51 cockpit i have lying around.

I have to admit that im not a very tech savy person. I have a question regarding BEC... When do one need it? Im gonna be using a Turnigy plush 40 with built in BEC.... iM gonna be having at least 10 servos (maybe 14 if i go with actuating joy stick, throtle contral and tail vent)... will that be enough? I will be using a 3s 2200mah lipo on this one.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:20 AM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by najserrot View Post
yep, i based it on a tamiya 1/48 scale p 51 cockpit i have lying around.

I have to admit that im not a very tech savy person. I have a question regarding BEC... When do one need it? Im gonna be using a Turnigy plush 40 with built in BEC.... iM gonna be having at least 10 servos (maybe 14 if i go with actuating joy stick, throtle contral and tail vent)... will that be enough? I will be using a 3s 2200mah lipo on this one.
For general info about ESCs and BECs I'll send you here

For your 14 servos..wow man that is a lot! You will almost certainly need a BEC, and a good one too I'd say. Maybe a 5A one.
Also I am not sure what you mean with "throttle control", when you list your additional servos, that would be the ESC.

Generally though, I would apply the KISS rule, "keep it simple, stupid". No offence intended

Gio
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:39 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
thanks for the Info, that was really explained well.

It has been slow on the building side with exams and internship and all... but most importantly waiting for the other parts i ordered to arrive.

i have finally finnished the cockipit... yeah!
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:58 PM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
Did some work with the rudder today...

Rounded the edges and then i trimmed some wood to fit in the RDS pocket.

The pocket is like 1 mm thicher than the rudder. I centered it so there is .5 mm extra wood on each side...nothing a sand paper cant fix
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:25 AM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
I have little problem...

This plane is designed to be a 3 chanel plane (throttle, elevator and aileron) i wanted to install a functional rudder. I found out today while working with the tail feathers that the horizontal stabilizer is way back that the elevators stand in the way for rudder movement.

my problem now is weather to trim parts of the elevator so that the rudder can then move or should I move the horizontal stabilizer towards the nose (tailfin and rudder are in the same place) so the elevators will not be in the way of the rudder (1.8 cm forward)

anyone know what is best?
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:31 AM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
244 Posts
As a rough guess I would not move the stabilisers forward because this could affect the airflow and mess up the maneuverability. It really depends on how big of a slot you have to cut though, can you post a picture of the tail assembly?
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:54 AM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
i was thinking it would make the elevator realy sensitivive if i move it forward and thought i could compensate whith expo and dual rates... what other consequences will it bring?