Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:25 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Discussion
Jargon Watch

Ok, Guys - Time...

Maybe I should have brought this up before but remember that we are going to have a LOT of folks reading this who do not speak geek, let alone digital or mechatronic, sooooo

If you are using a tech term that you think might be a bit on the difficult side for the un-initated into the techno-priesthood. Please take a minute and define it and, if possible, provide an explanatory link at the end of your post. If possible forgo some abbreviations the first time and define them as follows: an analog-to-digital converter (ADC), thereafter you can use the abbreviation freely.

Examples of 'end of post' explanations, basically footnotes.

DS18B20: A 'single wire' programmable digital temperature sensor. Datasheet here - Adafruit

ADC: Analog-to-digital converter Wikipedia

ASD: Azimuth Stern Drive - A type of highly maneuverable boat propulsion/steering system using shrouds surrounding screws. For more information see this RCGroups thread. Also see: Z-drive; Schottle Drive; Right Angle Drive (RAD){colloquial - Vancouver, Straight of San Juan de Fuca}

I2C: Inter-Integrated Circuit; generically referred to as "two-wire interface" Wikipedia - Tutorial

SSR: in this case, a Solid State Relay, an electronic switching device in which a small control signal controls a larger load current or voltage. Wikipedia

Yes, I am working on compiling a glossary / dictionary, but this will not only help speed things up with the glossary, but also sooth the frustration for folks unfamiliar with the jargon.

Sorry, my bad! I guess I should have brought this up before. Comments??

First Rule: When in doubt - ALWAYS ASK!
The only 'stupid' question is the one you did not ask!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 17, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:16 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
you are correct, geeks tend to talk in geek speak, especially when dealing with other geeks, and the point of it all is to dispel all this... stuff into something a laymen can understand, appreciate, make use of, and quite possibly steal code for similar projects that can be modified to suit specific needs.

if any of us get a little too geek speak and if anyone asks us just what the heck we are talking about, we should be prepared to explain our selves in a less technical fashion and be able and willing to expound on that notion if asked.

pictures or diagrams are always helpful

the advanced forum post editor has a button for posting code. that should be used for when, y'know.. you post code.. and stuff

also.. any code you post should be assumed to freeware, and should be annotated so that users have an idea of what line is doing what. common courtesy stuff if you can dig. this doesn't need to be for every line of code, of course, but if you are coding a routine, a brief description of that routine would be helpful. we aint trying to hold hands here, but we are hoping to make the whole deal seem less daunting then it really is or needs to be,
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:22 AM
Australia, WA, Garden Island
Joined Nov 2010
464 Posts
Probably a no-brainer, but go through and Highlight (Bold and/or Italicize) all commentary in your code. I say this, as I think I just gave Phoneman a headache and realised that the commentary blended in too well with the rest of the code.
Deckie is offline Find More Posts by Deckie