HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:32 PM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post
The hangtimes PT-19 is an awesome plane but I have been offered a DynaFlite. Price-wise the DynaFlite is more afordable.

Since this is my first scale-build and my first war-plane maybe the DynaFlite be a better option. After all I'm not going to enter a Scale Competition with my first war-bird. Specially since my flying skills are at a trainer level at this point.
I had a DF PT-19 for a few years with a Saito 150 which was my first large plane and it was a piece of cake to fly. 150 is more than enough power. Take off and scale flight was usually 1/2 power. Figured it was time to get rid of it when I started doing 4 foot high inverted fly by's. Got me a 1/4 scale Pitts! BTW, there is a lot of building in that kit. DF did not do much work for you but if you like to build you will enjoy it.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:42 PM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster View Post
Fiberglass Specialties still has a cowl for the DF PT-19 listed. The 2-piece plastic cowl sucks.
I don't have the kit on hand yet... what was wrong with the cowl?
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:57 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,305 Posts
Quote:
I don't have the kit on hand yet... what was wrong with the cowl?
The OEM cowl sucks! It's 2 pieces of ABS plastic that you glue together.

Just spend a few $$ for the Fibergalss Specialties cowl. It's one piece & a nice item. It fits like a glove..

BTW: When you set up the throws for the rudder keep them to the minimum recommended throws.

The BIG rudder has a LOT of authority! I had mine set-up W/a lot of throw & it acted like an airbrake!
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:02 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,659 Posts
Quote:
The OEM cowl sucks! It's 2 pieces of ABS plastic that you glue together.

Just spend a few $$ for the Fibergalss Specialties cowl. It's one piece & a nice item. It fits like a glove..

BTW: When you set up the throws for the rudder keep them to the minimum recommended throws.

The BIG rudder has a LOT of authority! I had mine set-up W/a lot of throw & it acted like an airbrake!
Thanks for the advice. I'm collecting a lot of notes on this model. I have to understand this will never be a "true-scale" model but a "fun-scale" or "sport-scale" but things like the cowl are things that need to be improved and I will
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:42 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,659 Posts
I was finally able to "secure" a Dynaflite PT-19 kit... yay!
after the kit arrives lots of work to do before the build starts
need to figure out what we will "per-kit" and what modifications we will make... flaps mandatory... better landing gear mandatory... cowl mandatory ... etc... etc...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:38 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,305 Posts
Quote:
I was finally able to "secure" a Dynaflite PT-19 kit... yay!
after the kit arrives lots of work to do before the build starts
need to figure out what we will "per-kit" and what modifications we will make... flaps mandatory... better landing gear mandatory... cowl mandatory ... etc... etc...
Robart used to make a "Robostrut" oleo strut that slipped over the 1/4" music wire gear of the DF PT-19. They then secured W/set screws.

I don't think they are available anymore but the gear for the Aviation concepts PT-19 looks very similar except that the AC gear clamps in a mount. I'm sure my Robart gear would work on the AC PT-19, maybe vica versa?

The maingear mount deficency is easy to fix while in construction just glue in a birch plywood doubler & some heavier blocking. The design of the gear is good otherwise. There is a long horizontal section between the vertical part that goes into the wing root & the vertical part than goes into the oleo strut. It acts as a torsion bar & is very sturdy yet it has flex built in for torsional shock absorbsion.

Once you add full sheeting on the wings, wing flliets, some depth for realism on the front cowl openings, roll bar, pilot figures, flaps, etc as well as a painted 21st Century or Solartex fabric covering for realism, the weight will be approaching 14-16#, maybe a bit more.

A Saito 150 will be a good power source, a 180 will really make it pull good vertical.

I have been thinking about getting the AC cowl W/the exhaust pipes to add to my DF PT-19.

I'm actually considering selling the kit I bought in 1998 for the wing rebuild & getting the Aviation Concepts PT-19.

I have a high compression Saito FA180HC CDI BBC engine that makes 3 1/2 HP on 15% Cool Power methanol fuel. It turns the specified 18 X 8 prop @ 8450 RPM & makes over 20# of thrust. It should be able to fly the 19# AC PT-19 quite easily.
Last edited by SrTelemaster; Feb 23, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:28 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,659 Posts
Quote:
...I'm actually considering selling the kit I bought in 1998 for the wing rebuild & getting the Aviation Concepts PT-19...
I haven't heard one bad oppinion of those guys. The only reason I didn't get it was because my build/flying level is not at a level high enough yet. The price point of the DF kit was better suited "for me".
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:53 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,305 Posts
Quote:
I haven't heard one bad oppinion of those guys. The only reason I didn't get it was because my build/flying level is not at a level high enough yet. The price point of the DF kit was better suited "for me".
I talked to them on the phone. The "short kit" is $700, add $160ish for Robostruts, $300 for wood (sticks & sheeting), another $50 for hardware & you will have over $1200 in a "KIT".

Now you have to buy covering so figure $1300 & a ton of work for a completed airframe not including servos, Rx, engine, etc.. Over $2000 before you are done.

A little too rich for my blood.

It's a nice plane W/some nice details, but for that kind of $$$$ you could do a LOT W/the DF PT-19.

I had about $1500 all up & flying in my Dynaflite PT-19.

I have some really nice pillots & a lot of details. Looks like I need to continue on as I had planned.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:24 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,659 Posts
I thought of all that too. I wish I could have their plane but at this moment is not what I should do.
I'm still building up my skills both flying and building.
I think the dynaflite kit is right for me at this moment.
I looked at all the ARFs and just couldn't get one of those. I want something "mine".
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:15 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,307 Posts
RIP... the course you've chosen seems very reasonable. Easy to understand your wish/desire to build... enjoy it.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:15 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,305 Posts
Robart still has the Robostruts for the DynaFlite PT-19

http://www.robart.com/products/dynaf...19-main-struts

They utilize the standard 1/4" music wire maingear set-up from DF.

Just cut the downward section to 1" length & secure the strut W/the set screws.

Beef up the area where the upward section enters the wing root & you are good to go.

Make sure you angle the gear for grass runways as shown in the plans.
Last edited by SrTelemaster; Feb 23, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:15 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,659 Posts
Build thread started:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post24249670
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:35 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,305 Posts
Are you going to use the flap detail that was on the RCSCALBUILDER thread?

I am particularly intreseted in that.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:39 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Quote:
Are you going to use the flap detail that was on the RCSCALBUILDER thread?

I am particularly intreseted in that.
Are you selling your kit
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:45 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,659 Posts
I'm building this kit. starting this week.