HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:48 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,199 Posts
Question
Do I need a power distribution board?

I'm trying to put together a multi-rotor package from HK. This will be my first multi-rotor build. My question is. Do I need a power distribution board if I have a KK control board already? Anything other than ESC's, Motors, Frame kit, KK board?

Thanks for any advise.

CW
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:59 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
i opted for the wire harness. easier to use since you can just route the wires wherever you want, unlike a board that requires a good amount of space to mount, and on frames with little room, you'll have trouble mounting it AND the flight controller.

not saying you can use a power distro board, lots of people do, but it's just easier, in my opinion, to use a wire harness (hobby king sells them)
serrated is offline Find More Posts by serrated
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
i opted for the wire harness. easier to use since you can just route the wires wherever you want, unlike a board that requires a good amount of space to mount, and on frames with little room, you'll have trouble mounting it AND the flight controller.

not saying you can use a power distro board, lots of people do, but it's just easier, in my opinion, to use a wire harness (hobby king sells them)
So, some type of distro is still needed aside from the KK board?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:01 PM
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
you'll need props too. slowfly ones work fine since they're cheap and you'll probably crash a lot if it's your first one. tx/rx too if you don't have one already. bullet connectors and shrink tubing if you don't have esc's with them already soldered on
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,199 Posts
How does this set up look? Am I headed in the right direction?

Q450 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 450mm

HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V3.0

NTM Prop Drive 28-26 1350KV / 310W

F-30A - Hobby King 30A ESC 3A UBEC
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:03 PM
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
So, some type of distro is still needed aside from the KK board?
yes, because you'll have one battery giving power to all four ESC's. (receiver and flight controller gets power via the BEC in the ESC that'll be connected in the "motor 1" port on the KK board. the harness plugs into your battery, and the other end has 4 red and 4 black wires that plug into each ESC

Quote:

looks good, just pick out some props and radio and you should be close to airborn. (battery/charger too) low battery alarm would be good to have too so you don't have to time your flights
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,199 Posts
Quote:
yes, because you'll have one battery giving power to all four ESC's. (receiver and flight controller gets power via the BEC in the ESC that'll be connected in the "motor 1" port on the KK board. the harness plugs into your battery, and the other end has 4 red and 4 black wires that plug into each ESC

looks good, just pick out some props and radio and you should be close to airborn. (battery/charger too) low battery alarm would be good to have too so you don't have to time your flights
Great. Thanks I'll add one to my cart.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:06 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,199 Posts
Quote:

Ahh yes! Props. I fly planes. I have a DX6I and plenty of Orange and Spektrum RX's around. As well as batteries.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Last edited by cwolfe; Feb 15, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,199 Posts
I've added these to my cart. I wasn't sure If I would want to use the distro board or the harness so put both in the cart.

5.5mm Bullet to 4 x 4.0mm Multistar ESC

Hobby King Quadcopter Power Distribution

3 x 10x4.5 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 RH rotation
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:25 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
999 Posts
Quote:

I would go for kk2 fc
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:36 PM
Joined Apr 2007
470 Posts
Yes deffo the KK2 fc!..so easy to set up
symon is offline Find More Posts by symon
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Yes deffo the KK2 fc!..so easy to set up
Cool. I think I'll take the advise. I'm not sure about those motors with those props.

I'll pull the trigger on this order in a couple days. Like I need another project going on in the hanger. However, I did just finish one project. My Thomas Morse build (See blog if interested).

Thanks again.