HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:08 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,264 Posts
Discussion
Lipos all charging to 12.7!?

I am usually a very good care taker of my LiPos and make sure thy never get down below 11.5v and never exceed 4.2vpc after being charged. The cheapie I am, I have used my money for helicopter goodies instead of a good charger. I have been using these 2 trusty little Esky chargers I got with my Belt CP's back in '08 and they have always charged and balanced fine. I found one of my old Parkzone chargers rhat came with my T-28, and has an adjustable charge rate from .3A-2.0A..Have been using that charger for quite a while now and it only charges to 12.5, so I will finish the batt balancing on the Esky chargers. Lately, all 6 of my lipos(3 of my friends and 3 of mine) are all charging to 4.20,4.20, 4.30..I am quite pissed and also worried about longevity now..I guess once a lipo charges that high, there is no bringing it back down. Anyone know if they can be saved with a good charger? Or am I screwed?
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:22 PM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
251 Posts
Before you get too paranoid perhaps you should independently verify the cell voltages with a good volt meter. You may just be seeing a bad reading.

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:28 PM
A&P in training
Joined Dec 2008
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Try View Post
Before you get too paranoid perhaps you should independently verify the cell voltages with a good volt meter. You may just be seeing a bad reading.

Dennis

I have two different Low Voltage alarms and they are both showing the same thing which is totally odd.. I probably should track down a good volt meter and check, just to make sure..
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:35 PM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
251 Posts
Is the cell with the high voltage always the same cell on each battery, do you charge through the balance lead or the discharge lead. Have you checked any batteries that were charged on a different charger with you voltage checker.

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:21 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,378 Posts
Neither of your chargers are well known for reliability. I would get a better charger. I'm going to guess neither one can do a storage charge either which is probably damaging your batteries as well.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:23 PM
A&P in training
Joined Dec 2008
1,264 Posts
Well, my buddy brought his SkyCharger B6A over, charged one of the lipos up and if balanced right up to 4.2vpc which is great...Weird that 2 low voltage alarms would both show a high reading of 4.30-on the last cell of all 6 batteries though. I appreciate everyones help, definitely time to invest better equipment.