HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:18 AM
Registered User
bulesz's Avatar
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,316 Posts
Mini-Review
Micro quad propeller-rotor-blade test (Walkera Lady Bird, H36, HeliMax 1SQ, Mini Pet)

Heyya,

I just bought some spare props, and wanted to make end to the urban legends which is "better" (different) than the others. I mean is there any significant difference between them...

The lab rat was my H36, ran with Turnigy Nanotech 45-90 (muhaha) 300 mAh lipo.

I have checked the stability, punch, agility (reaction speed) and flight time.

Method: Doing fast pirouettes, yo-yo, fast fw and pull back, "falling leaf" etc...so I didn't just hover like a bauus..
I have ran the bird till couldnt stay in the air to be more objective regarding to the battery life.

The props:

H36:
It's the 100% clone of the Walkera LB...exactly the same, just a little unbalanced, I mean this was the less stable. The agility and punch was the same as the LB prop, they provided the most punch, BUT with the average (bit slow) reaction speed, the general control was quite tought...

Flight time: 6:57

Walkera LB:
The same as the H36, but it was more stable (no TB effect), I guess they were more balanced than the clones.. Tipical outdoor flyer, gives you more punch and you will have enough space for "escape" from the tough situations.

Flight time: 6:59

Heli Max 1SQ:
I have thought it will be the same...but as you can see on the image it has a little different shape than the LB prop! It was quite similar to the Walkera prop, but a little quicker reaction speed in this case! It has little less punch than the LB prop, but it was significant more agile. Sort of you could add extra +5% rate....

Flight time: 7:19

Mini Pet:
Total disappointment! It's 2mm longer than the others, means lower head speed, but more load on the motors...the reaction time was the slowest, like -5% rate... Some could feel it more precise BECAUSE of the slow reaction time (yes, a snail would be also very precise in this manner... )
And you could fly with a minute less (-20% compared to the 1SQ prop!), than the others!

Flight time: 5:48

I pick the HM 1SQ for daily flying, but will carry the LB props beside for outside, just in case...


TIP:
Removing the props: to could remove safely the props just put a thin knife under it to the motor shaft, and lift the shaft side of the knife (as the Lego friends do... )

To install: put the beloved THIN knife back to the shaft, and just push back the prop! Because of the knife there will stay the desired gap between the prop and the motor.
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Last edited by bulesz; Mar 06, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:26 AM
Hubsan X4 - H36 - V911
bangkomit's Avatar
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Oct 2012
1,139 Posts
Where do you get 1SQ props from?
bangkomit is offline Find More Posts by bangkomit
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:31 AM
Registered User
bulesz's Avatar
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkomit View Post
Where do you get 1SQ props from?
From The Barn Floor.
...and it was shipped surprisingly fast from US to Hungary EU...in 5 working days as I remember.
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:57 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
time for prop changes me thinks cheers mate im thinking that because the mini pet ha metal arms and larger props "maybe" the motors are stronger as well?
neobot is offline Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:59 AM
Registered User
bulesz's Avatar
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neobot View Post
time for prop changes me thinks cheers mate im thinking that because the mini pet ha metal arms and larger props "maybe" the motors are stronger as well?
I was thinking about the same...because the ~5:40 minutes gross flight time is bad, mkaaay?
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:32 AM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,941 Posts
Nice review Bulesz. Was this a mix of indoor\outdoor testing or one or the other? Would it be too hard to repeat the test with a standard LiPo and not the Turnigy 45-90C batteries?
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: RC Logger Eye One Xtreme
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:32 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,446 Posts
Hi B,
Those are pricey Helimax 1SQ micro props at about $11 including ship in USA for 2x cw and 2x ccw. These micro props are usually 50 cents to a $1 each shipped.

Did you check the balance on the props before your flight testing?

Yes as you likely know, coreless motors do have different Kv ratings between the different micro models, so the flight times are specific to the model you used in your testing. The performance and flight times could vary +/- with other micros. Most have found the Walkera Ladybird, Mini Pet V997, MJX X100 and the UDI U816 motors to be a bit more powerful with good endurance.

How does the stiffness compare between the props you tested?

If you get the chance could you please post some edge comparisons for chord and pitch as Bradigan did in the following link:
--Prop comparisons: U816, Walkera LB and MJX X100

For those really hard to remove props, I found that using wire cutting pliers are the easiest and safest method:
--Micro prop removal made easy using wire cutting pliers 101

Note for everyone's tests: Prop weight would be a good statistic to compare too.

It would be good to include the WLToys V202 props in the tests. They look similar to the 1SQ props with the longer hub which can help protect the motor if it is spaced close to the motor bearing as you suggest. The UDI U816 props also have a longer hub but seem to be made of a softer plastic. That is good for ruggedness for sport flying or bashing, but sometimes not so good for performance and stability in a hover for AVP and FPV.

Also as you noted, the Ladybird props keep coming up high in most Gents ratings too. I found that using them on an RC Eye One decreased the wobble of death in descents and wind that that multicopter has with the larger OEM props.

Thanks and Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index


Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz View Post
From The Barn Floor.
...and it was shipped surprisingly fast from US to Hungary EU...in 5 working days as I remember.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Feb 15, 2013 at 07:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:37 AM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,941 Posts
Well I'm not discounting Bulesz results, but I think as you said Jim, it's situational.

I'm using stock V202 LiPos and an 11 gram 808 camera and I'm getting 5 minutes plus with Mini Pet props:

Cross-pollinated quadcopter hybrid with 808 #16 V2 D lens (5 min 13 sec)
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: RC Logger Eye One Xtreme
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz View Post
I was thinking about the same...because the ~5:40 minutes gross flight time is bad, mkaaay?
flight time bad but add keychain camera to mini pet with NO PADDING just ip tie it on and flight footage VERY GOOD sharp picture, so either balanced props, higher rpms from motors with extra weight or both but that combo works very well might need to put on a syma x1 board too as that is a lot more stable than the mini pet boards i got ( i think they are missing the acc?) that drift a lot
neobot is offline Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:54 AM
Registered User
bulesz's Avatar
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Nice review Bulesz. Was this a mix of indoor\outdoor testing or one or the other? Would it be too hard to repeat the test with a standard LiPo and not the Turnigy 45-90C batteries?
I could do it, but I think the flight time is affected more the motors than the lipo. I mean as Jim has mentioned the different micros could have different motors. My V939/U816 hybrid is sick, and could fly on next week again, so I will repeat the timings, plus my Micro Q-BOT is on the way, so I could repeat the test on that model as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi B,
Those are pricey Helimax 1SQ micro props at about $11 including ship in USA for 2x cw and 2x ccw. These micro props are usually 50 cents to a $1 each shipped.

Did you check the balance on the props before your flight testing?

Yes as you likely know, coreless motors do have different Kv ratings between the different micro models, so the flight times are specific to the model you used in your testing. The performance and flight times could vary +/- with other micros. Most have found the Walkera Ladybird, Mini Pet V997, MJX X100 and the UDI U816 motors to be a bit more powerful with good endurance.

How does the stiffness compare between the props you tested?

If you get the chance could you please post some edge comparisons for chord and pitch as Bradigan did in the following link:
--Prop comparisons: U816, Walkera LB and MJX X100

For those really hard to remove props, I found that using wire cutting pliers are the easiest and safest method:
--Micro prop removal made easy using wire cutting pliers 101

Note for everyone's tests: Prop weight would be a good statistic to compare too.

It would be good to include the WLToys V202 props in the tests. They look similar to the 1SQ props with the longer hub which can help protect the motor if it is spaced close to the motor bearing as you suggest. The UDI U816 props also have a longer hub but seem to be made of a softer plastic. That is good for ruggedness for sport flying or bashing, but sometimes not so good for performance and stability in a hover for AVP and FPV.

Also as you noted, the Ladybird props keep coming up high in most Gents ratings too. I found that using them on an RC Eye One decreased the wobble of death in descents and wind that that multicopter has with the larger OEM props.

Thanks and Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Yes, I have ordered a 1SQ canopy and needed something from there for balancing the shipping cost...

Woow, thanks for the hint and url, because the U816 props look identical to the 1SQ...I mean by shape... I will make some extra pics for comparing the back and pitch the props.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Well I'm not discounting Bulesz results, but I think as you said Jim, it's situational.

I'm using stock V202 LiPos and an 11 gram 808 camera and I'm getting 5 minutes plus with Mini Pet props:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOu8Ky2mRmc
As mentioned before, the MP props could shine with stronger motors...with H36 it wasn't a great performer. I have repeated the test with another Nanotech and the ~1:20 min difference was still there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neobot View Post
flight time bad but add keychain camera to mini pet with NO PADDING just ip tie it on and flight footage VERY GOOD sharp picture, so either balanced props, higher rpms from motors with extra weight or both but that combo works very well might need to put on a syma x1 board too as that is a lot more stable than the mini pet boards i got ( i think they are missing the acc?) that drift a lot
Yes, I guess the more robust Mini Pet has better motors.
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:14 AM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,941 Posts
So my hybrid V202\H36 is an H36 frame and motors with a V202 board and Mini Pet props.

I think outdoors, things are vastly different unless you live in an area that has no wind. When you add wind (mild, not severe) to the equation, you don't need as much lift from the motors as the larger props help induce lift from the help of the wind better than smalller props.

I get 7-8 minutes with my Frankenquad outdoors with spirited flying, which uses the Mini Pet props.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: RC Logger Eye One Xtreme
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:16 AM
Registered User
bulesz's Avatar
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
So my hybrid V202\H36 is an H36 frame and motors with a V202 board and Mini Pet props.

I think outdoors, things are vastly different unless you live in an area that has no wind. When you add wind (mild, not severe) to the equation, you don't need as much lift from the motors as the larger props help induce lift from the help of the wind better than smalller props.

I get 7-8 minutes with my Frankenquad outdoors with spirited flying, which uses the Mini Pet props.
I will make a hover only test, because I have flown very aggressive...
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:36 PM
Registered User
bulesz's Avatar
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,316 Posts
Just checked the "feeling" of the materials, and the MP props are the most rigid, and the HM 1SQ blades seemed to be the most flexible.

I have made a hover only with H36 + MP blades with UDI and my strongest 300 45-90 Nanotech. I will make the next test round with the SAME BATTERIES paired with the HM 1SQ blades to see the DIFFERENCE.

I will post the result tomorrow.

# # # # # # #
A motor comparsion could be also nice, like SAME batteries, SAME props with SAME weights, but with different motors (H36, MP, V202, U816...)

After my spare U816 arm and the LB frame would arrive, I could try my V939/U816 Frankenquad...(remember I had the crappy bent V939 frame.. ) It means, if I wont like it, I will replace the motors with my H36 with the U816 (only the motors!!!) and I will retest the props...If there will be ANY differences in the running time, we could say for sure, that the H36 motors are weaker/stronger than the U816.
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:56 PM
Registered User
bulesz's Avatar
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,316 Posts
Just finished the hover only test! Used my only UDI816 battery, so each propeller set was testing with the SAME battery pack!

Walkera Lady Bird: 8:01
Heli Max 1SQ: 8:11
Mini Pet: 7:01

So on my H36 the Mini Pet provides less than 1 minute flight time than the Heli Max 1SQ. (Just made all of the flights two times each with one set and picked the longer time. The differences was less than 5 seconds for one set, so this timing was quite reliable.)

Just ordered an UDI816 bladeset which looks similar to the 1SQ but about 4 times cheaper... so I will try that too when arrives.
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Last edited by bulesz; Feb 18, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:03 PM
Registered User
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
I just wanted to say the lego figure usage was great! Sorry, back to the discussion
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion MassiveRC Store: Veteran's Day Sale MassiveOverkill Hot Online Deals 19 Nov 11, 2013 05:31 AM
Discussion Helimax 1SQ Quad VS Walkera Ladybird muck76 Mini Multirotors 15 May 30, 2013 01:14 PM
Sold Walkera Lady bird v1 RTF devo 7 battlekat Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 6 Feb 11, 2013 03:01 PM
Sold Helimax 1SQ Quad muck76 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 2 Nov 28, 2012 09:44 AM
Sold 4 NIB Mini Pet micro quad copters RTF Bryan's Flyin Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 1 Oct 10, 2012 10:09 PM