HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:25 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Discussion
DIY EDF - New Project

Hey guys just after some advise.

I am quite new to this area normally opting for land based rc but im just going to jump in the deep end with this one as i think it will be worth it.

I plan on making my own EDF jet with the items below. Any advise abouth each item, if i have anything missing or the wrong parts would be greatly appreciated.

Parts List;

Radio

Servos

EDFs (X2)
Charger

Battery (X2)

ESC (X2)

Cheers
dna2012 is offline Find More Posts by dna2012
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:47 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,411 Posts
well real cheap parts but thats ok if they work. going have to build light big wing for low wing loading. you got design for plane
space 1 is online now Find More Posts by space 1
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:40 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,939 Posts
Radio - cheap ARF type, but more than likely will work fine. ...for a while.

Servos - good stuff, same as HXT900

EDF - junk. No way that thing is only gonna draw 30A max.

Charger - absolute bottom of the barrel charger. A charge rate of 800mAh is going to be painfully slow.

Battery - Good if you only want 1 min flight times (or less) and puff them doing it. A 70mm fan will need 2200mAh at the least. And a 40C rating would help.

ESC - Good as any other Chinese ESC (I use them). Again, that 70mm fan is going to draw more 30A. A 60A minimum, but you could get a 80A-90A ESC for $5 more.

Quote:
I am quite new to this area normally opting for land based rc
I guessing by "land based RC" you mean cars, boats?
If you've never flown an RC plane before then it won't matter what parts you use. The flight will be over long before they have a chance to fail.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Last edited by Boogie_; Feb 15, 2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:27 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,094 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1 sound advise
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:20 AM
Air Assassin
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Definitely not a big enough batt or ESC. My 70mm set-ups use a 60A esc and 4s batts at 2600 or 3000mah. Take the advice you get here and spend the extra money on soild equipment, and you may want to build a single EDF 1st...instead of a twin.
RogueAce is offline Find More Posts by RogueAce
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:34 AM
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Greetings... It may be a good idea to share your thoughts on what you want to build. Lots of these guys can help you tons.

I agree on the esc, battery, charger, etc... you better ramp those up.

Another decent radio option is posted below. I've had great success with them and excellent range. Although I did have one receiver go partially bad. After my spectrum broke I've had no need to go back to it.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r...nel-radio.html
bamiller is offline Find More Posts by bamiller
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
thanks for the feedback..

I think i may go with a single edf first and see how it goes.

with the esc at 30a i was just going with the specs on the edf listing with 30a being max.
Rotational Speed: 3000 RPM/V
Continuous Current: 22A
Max. Current: 30A
Input Voltage: 8 - 16V

If this edf unit is not that good can anyone reccomend a fairly cheap alternative?
would using 64mm be any better?

yes mainly cars, couple of boats along the way. flown a heli well enough, some planes but quite cheap, small ones really.

looking at creating something like an f22 shape but open to ideas and modifications along the way
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:53 AM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
There are several good rules to go by w/planes. Build OVER !! By that I mean, if your "on sale" motor says it takes a 50A ESc...get a 60A. And put in a seperate BEC for insurance. When an EDF crashes it is NOT like a car or boat. GRAVITY IS A BITCH...and ALWAYS WINS!!! You want to make sure that you can bring it down safely if something fails. All of yor components are also going to depend on one HUGE question that you did not mention....What are you building the plane out of? Building materials matter greatly for weight,wingloading,strength.etc.,etc.....
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
i was looking to use something like depron with a couple carbon fibre tube spar
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:11 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
I agree. Definitly build over for EDF. I use 10 as the magic "rule of thumb" (meaning if a motor says 30amp at 3s dont go any lower than a 40amp esc. Following that rule at a minimum will not steer you wrong.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:17 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
Have you flown a plane before?
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:39 PM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA...the best question of all !!!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:30 PM
United States, MD, La Plata
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Why not go with a Dynam combo as a start? As to the batt and ESC, I agree with the prior comments. I run bigger batts and ESCs on my 64mm fans
Icarusdanoob is offline Find More Posts by Icarusdanoob
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:13 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Totally agree and thats a good point on the Dynam combo. I know others that had great success with them. This way you know your getting the right setup for the power system.

As for your build, since you haven't mentioned your skill level or interests yet, I would build something with a straight wing. (Please dont take that the wrong way.... ) It will be much easier to fly and will be tons of fun.

Look at the link below for a recent setup I put together. If you want the exact parts I can list them to you. I put this together over last weekend and have an awesome flyer that doesn't need a delicate landing surface. (Ok, i already had the tail and wing cut for another model and I have to paint it now...). I can fly this on a 30amp esc but I wont go under 40 just to be safe.

But with this plane and setup I can fly a 2200 for a good 6-8 mins with proper throttle control. So I can either take it high and just let it glide around slow or make screaming passes and loops.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1834686
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:39 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna2012 View Post
i was looking to use something like depron with a couple carbon fibre tube spar
you need to decide on plane first
space 1 is online now Find More Posts by space 1