Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Discussion
Chelyabinsk Meteorite Event

Wow

Quote:
A bright flash was seen in the Chelyabinsk, Tyumen and Sverdlovsk regions, Russia’s Republic of Bashkiria and in northern Kazakhstan.

Lifenews tabloid said that at least one piece of the fallen object caused damage on the ground in Chelyabinsk. According to preliminary reports, it crashed into a wall near a zinc factory, disrupting the city's Internet and mobile service.

Witnesses said the explosion was so loud that it seemed like an earthquake and thunder had struck at the same time, and that there were huge trails of smoke across the sky. Others reported seeing burning objects fall to earth.
Video is COOL
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:32 AM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
I dunno, It looks more like an Iranian space monkey landing than a meteorite to me.
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:19 AM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
oh......

that's must be where my newest FPV contraption went.

I was hoping I could relocate it and retrieve it, finally I decided to just hit the self destruct.
better luck next time. heh
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:11 AM
Россия, Пермский край, город Пермь
Joined Jul 2011
212 Posts
вспышка над Челябинском (1 min 47 sec)

Армагеддон в Челябинске! (съемка камеры на&#1 (4 min 1 sec)
ilipin is offline Find More Posts by ilipin
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:13 AM
Россия, Пермский край, город Пермь
Joined Jul 2011
212 Posts
Chelyabinsk is about 500 km from my city.

Are you ready to zombie apocalypse or/and aliens invasion?
ilipin is offline Find More Posts by ilipin
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:22 AM
HANDS UP! DON'T SHOOT!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
I've seen a similar event. What I saw in the mid-'90s probably released 1/1000 the energy this one did. There's footage on Youtube taken from Texas a few months ago of an event I'd guess was about 1/10 as powerful as this one in Russia, and the pattern of a bright streak shooting across the sky with a mid-point climax was nearly identical. This thing was big enough and fast enough to generate a pretty destructive shock wave. Early estimates I've heard put it at around 0.5 cubic meter.
rcposter is offline Find More Posts by rcposter
Last edited by rcposter; Feb 15, 2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:39 AM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
I've also seen a similar event around dusk when I was setting up my telescope. I imagine it landed in the ocean since live near the coast, But it looked more like the first picture and didn't leave a trail of smoke behind it like in the second picture
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:53 AM
HANDS UP! DON'T SHOOT!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyzwell View Post
I've also seen a similar event around dusk when I was setting up my telescope. I imagine it landed in the ocean since live near the coast, But it looked more like the first picture and didn't leave a trail of smoke behind it like in the second picture
This thing in Russia was relatively huge, and I'm not certain yet that it made it to the ground (early reports said it hit a building, but then I saw videos of building damage from the shock wave). Do you know if this event in Russia has been definitively connected to the relatively huge named asteroid passing today? I'd guess it was, but I don't know. Perhaps a little piece that recently calved or something.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:06 AM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
Not likely.

Quote:
Jim Todd, Planetarium Manager at Portland's OMSI, said this cannot be part of the massive asteroid DA14 which will soon whiz by the planet Earth by a very close margin. It is pure coincidence.

“Keep in mind, DA14 flyby is still 12 hours away and is moving from south to north in relation to Earth,” Todd said. “The fireball over Russia was moving from the east to south.”
http://www.beachconnection.net/news/...21513_1202.php
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:20 AM
HANDS UP! DON'T SHOOT!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyzwell View Post
Cool. Thanks. After thinking about it I was wondering how a lesser fragment could arrive ahead of the main body. I hadn't even considered the direction.

That's some coincidence, though, ain't it? Wild.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:38 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
It's a sobering thought - something the size of the Tunguska event over NYC would just eradicate the area!
ENGINETORQUE is online now Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:27 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
It's a sobering thought - something the size of the Tunguska event over NYC would just eradicate the area!
We're probably safe for another 100 years
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:30 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcposter View Post
Cool. Thanks. After thinking about it I was wondering how a lesser fragment could arrive ahead of the main body. I hadn't even considered the direction.

That's some coincidence, though, ain't it? Wild.
I don't really think it's much of a coincidence.

I'm pretty sure that about 10,000 meteorites hit us each day... Averaging the size of a house.

It's hard to believe though, probably an urban myth.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:38 AM
Howdie Doo Dat ?
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,946 Posts
Oh you lucky Russians. All these great movies about meteors destroying a city, and YOU are the first ones to get a big strike. Some people have all the luck.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:47 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
I don't really think it's much of a coincidence.

I'm pretty sure that about 10,000 meteorites hit us each day... Averaging the size of a house.

It's hard to believe though, probably an urban myth.
no that number is about right
Welcome to the shooting gallery that is the inner Solar system lol

might as well post this too

this was just a friendly reminder that large objects do hit the earth all the time
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000