HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:50 PM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
I still haven't gotten a chance to test mine out yet. I need to get to the store to get a 10 gallon aquarium to start, mainly because they're only about $8 at the local pet supplies store. That way I can make sure it works and get some pictures of it, then I'll start looking for a bigger aquarium on Craig's List to build my actual diving station!!
Gimpdiggity is offline Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:30 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,406 Posts
i bought another one for my nephew on the other channel, and they both work together just fine.
that is, so long as the remote stays out of the water
it was only in the water for like 2 seconds, but just to be safe, i immediately disassembled it and dried everything with a towel. there didn't seem to get hardly any on the board, and after everything was dry i put it back together but the turning didn't seem to work anymore. upon further testing, i found that if you press both buttons for any function, the red led lights on the remote (perhaps some kind of function test for assemblers) so i knew that the turning buttons were working on the remote side. so that meant the sub itself had an issue, i opened the sub nose to see if there was any water inside but didn't see anything wrong.
so lastly, i popped off the little cover to the rudder motor and played with it while pressing the left/right buttons and it started working again.

so i think i might put the remote in a ziplock bag next time we play with them until he really gets the habit of putting the remote down before reaching into the tub
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:09 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
Hey guys...anyone else having some issues with the sub not wanting to dive after surfacing??

It's like it's got some air trapped somewhere in it. If I hold it underwater and tap it, then it seems to stop having the problem for a while, but it seems to come back sooner or later.

Anything that I can try to do about this?? It seems to have the air somewhere up near the nose up the sub...because it wants to stick with the nose up. I'm wondering if it's getting some air stuck in the charge port hatch.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:13 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,406 Posts
its the surface tension, usually if it wont go down right away, drive in reverse a little. it might help to add a few drops of dish soap to the water to reduce the tension strength.
you can also turn it upside down and tap the bubbles out of the holes under the plunger. some times a bubble sticks in the turning motor area which makes it not turn, so i always start by shaking the tail in the water to get it out.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:09 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
its the surface tension, usually if it wont go down right away, drive in reverse a little. it might help to add a few drops of dish soap to the water to reduce the tension strength.
you can also turn it upside down and tap the bubbles out of the holes under the plunger. some times a bubble sticks in the turning motor area which makes it not turn, so i always start by shaking the tail in the water to get it out.
Thanks derk.

I came to that same conclusion last night after fiddling around with it a bit more.

I could basically see where the sub was getting hung up on the surface. I found that if I used a stick to agitate the water on the far end of the aquarium, it created a very small ripple, but the movement was enough to disrupt the surface tension and then the sub dove just fine.

I'm thinking I may try to get myself an air pump to put in the aquarium to have run while I'm using the submarine, which should do just enough to disrupt the surface tension that it won't cause too much of an issue.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:07 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
I made a video of my Dive Master in the aquarium I have set up for it.

Air Hogs Dive Master Exploring My Aquarium... (5 min 23 sec)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:24 AM
Registered loser :)
warm sunny(rainy, windy)Florida
Joined Jan 2005
137 Posts
ya know it says in the instructions how to alleviate the surface tension issues lol
wbnemo1 is offline Find More Posts by wbnemo1
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:36 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,406 Posts
i'm pretty sure thats more than 7 inches mr
is that an alligator skull? great video
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:31 AM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
370 Posts
Fantastic video!!! Great job maneuvering. It's a ghost ship, alright; I can see the ghost of the lookout in the crowsnest. Hey, come down to Charleston, and you can run your sub with LIVE gators. Actually, that's a real concern with my bigger boats. Does anybody know if gators will actually attack a model boat?

At long last, I have a "tunnel" rock for my aquarium. I like the challenge of going through and around obstacles. I hope to get a good video soon, but I'm waiting for my LED lighting to arrive.

Rick
Ricomon is offline Find More Posts by Ricomon
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:14 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbnemo1 View Post
ya know it says in the instructions how to alleviate the surface tension issues lol
What are these "instructions" that you speak of??

Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
i'm pretty sure thats more than 7 inches mr
is that an alligator skull? great video
I think it's more than 7 inches, too...but so far so good, and I've kept it at that depth quite a bit. I haven't noticed any kind of leaks or anything like that, and I don't have any control issues. I'm hoping that the 7 inches is a really conservative recommendation.

It IS a gator skull...but not a real one, just a fairly realistic resin one that I found in the small aquarium section of a Meijer store, which is like a Walmart but more of a Michigan type of thing. It looks really good in there.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon View Post
Fantastic video!!! Great job maneuvering. It's a ghost ship, alright; I can see the ghost of the lookout in the crowsnest. Hey, come down to Charleston, and you can run your sub with LIVE gators. Actually, that's a real concern with my bigger boats. Does anybody know if gators will actually attack a model boat?

At long last, I have a "tunnel" rock for my aquarium. I like the challenge of going through and around obstacles. I hope to get a good video soon, but I'm waiting for my LED lighting to arrive.

Rick
Thanks Rick. I would LOVE to come down to Charleston...it would be a MUCH better place for me to live than Michigan. I'll take my chances with my boats against gators over having lakes iced over for 363 days out of the year!!!

What kind of lighting are you getting??
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:18 AM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
I downloaded a sonar sound effect to my phone, so the next video I make will have sonar pings in it. Should be pretty cool.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:00 AM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
What are these "instructions" that you speak of??

I think it's more than 7 inches, too...but so far so good, and I've kept it at that depth quite a bit. I haven't noticed any kind of leaks or anything like that, and I don't have any control issues. I'm hoping that the 7 inches is a really conservative recommendation.

It IS a gator skull...but not a real one, just a fairly realistic resin one that I found in the small aquarium section of a Meijer store, which is like a Walmart but more of a Michigan type of thing. It looks really good in there.

Thanks!

Thanks Rick. I would LOVE to come down to Charleston...it would be a MUCH better place for me to live than Michigan. I'll take my chances with my boats against gators over having lakes iced over for 363 days out of the year!!!

What kind of lighting are you getting??
I've been "pushing the envelope" at thirteen inches of depth, and I haven't killed mine yet. It gets about an hour's bottom time every day.

I'm from Muskegon, Michigan, so I know what you mean - nine months of Winter, and three months of bad sledding! I'm much happier in the South. I'm wearing shorts and a tropical shirt right now. I'll take my chances with the gators. They have my respect, though. I have scars from an encounter with a small one about ten years ago. My son and I overturned my Hobie 14 in the local reservoir. A fisherman was towing the inverted wreckage back to the dock, but the trampoline was acting as a dive plane, pulling it under. I decided to sit at the stern of the trampoline (water up to my shoulders) to balance it out. A small gator about four feet long got trapped between the hulls and clawed me while trying to get away. Thankfully, it didn't bite me. There are twelve footers in the reservoir, so I decided to take a flying leap into the fisherman's boat. There was blood everywhere. Lesson learned!

I ordered some cheap LED strips from China (a month long wait, unfortunately), but I might get some of these blue and white strips from the US. I'm just not sure if they're bright enough, though. If anybody has an affordable LED suggestion, I'm all ears.

Also, if anybody knows why FireFox now takes me to the top of my latest post, rather than returning me to my most recent position, I'd love to fix that.

Rick
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:52 AM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
Quote:
I've been "pushing the envelope" at thirteen inches of depth, and I haven't killed mine yet. It gets about an hour's bottom time every day.
That makes me feel better about running in the 10" or so that I've been running in. I'm thinking that the depth might be suggested more because the IR might start to difuse a bit after that depth if you were operating it from above, say in a pool or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon
I'm from Muskegon, Michigan, so I know what you mean - nine months of Winter, and three months of bad sledding! I'm much happier in the South. I'm wearing shorts and a tropical shirt right now. I'll take my chances with the gators. They have my respect, though. I have scars from an encounter with a small one about ten years ago. My son and I overturned my Hobie 14 in the local reservoir. A fisherman was towing the inverted wreckage back to the dock, but the trampoline was acting as a dive plane, pulling it under. I decided to sit at the stern of the trampoline (water up to my shoulders) to balance it out. A small gator about four feet long got trapped between the hulls and clawed me while trying to get away. Thankfully, it didn't bite me. There are twelve footers in the reservoir, so I decided to take a flying leap into the fisherman's boat. There was blood everywhere. Lesson learned!
You know, it's funny. I do a fair bit of travelling...this past year I was in Hawai'i and Myrtle Beach, and I've spent quite a bit of time in Vegas the last few years, and a trip to Costa Rica. In EVERY one of those places, I've run into people who are from Michigan...even Costa Rica...and every single one of them says the same types of things...in Vegas it was I'd rather deal with empty houses and low employment than Michigan winters. In Costa Rica it was I'd rather live in a country where not everyone speaks English than deal with Michigan winters. In Myrtle Beach it was I'd rather live in a town that makes it's living on tourism than deal with another Michigan winter. In Hawai'i it was I'd rather deal with really high costs of living than go through another Michigan winter.

It makes me wonder why anyone still lives here!!!

Sounds like you ended up coming out relatively unscathed (compared to what could have happened) with your encounter with the gator. My grandmother used to stay in Florida in the winters, and one of their reservoir ponds had gators in it. I used to just watch them all the time, and from watching them I learned that they aren't to be messed with...they're quicker than they look like they should be, and they don't seem to have any nice streaks...that's for sure!!

Quote:
I ordered some cheap LED strips from China (a month long wait, unfortunately), but I might get some of these blue and white strips from the US. I'm just not sure if they're bright enough, though. If anybody has an affordable LED suggestion, I'm all ears.
Are you going to use them just in the aquarium, or are you going to try to put them on the sub itself?

Quote:
Also, if anybody knows why FireFox now takes me to the top of my latest post, rather than returning me to my most recent position, I'd love to fix that.

Rick
I gave up on Firefox recently. None of the browsers work perfectly for me...FireFox was doing all kinds of strange stuff, the back button on Chrome never works right for me, and IE is just IE.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:03 PM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
370 Posts
I'll bet there aren't many people from Hawaii, Myrtle Beach, Vegas, and Costa Rica living in Michigan! I've only been out of the snowbelt since '97, and I'm WAY too soft for the northern Winters.

Yeah, I think the little gator I ran into was having a really good day. I'm still amazed that he didn't bite.

The LEDs are for the aquarium. I have a fluorescent light in it that causes signal degradation in the back corners.

Rick
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:56 AM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
Quote:
I'll bet there aren't many people from Hawaii, Myrtle Beach, Vegas, and Costa Rica living in Michigan!
Amen to that!!!!!

Oddly enough, I work with TWO guys that moved to Michigan from Hawai'i...for some reason or another. I think both of them have something severely wrong with them!!!

In other news, I got the other Dive Master tonight. I didn't get to run it, but I am hoping to test it out tomorrow.