HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:13 PM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
421 Posts
In a fish tank, it's great. In fact, it's the best sub I've ever owned. If you don't have a fish tank, you probably don't want this sub. If you put it in a pool, you'll lose sight of it. Especially considering the IR control's limited ability in daylight. A three inch sub in a 16' diameter, 4' deep pool, in the dark? I think it would be just as much fun without a sub.

Rick
Ricomon is offline Find More Posts by Ricomon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:20 PM
Registered loser :)
warm sunny(rainy, windy)Florida
Joined Jan 2005
154 Posts
i have a 55 gal tank waiting
wbnemo1 is offline Find More Posts by wbnemo1
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:31 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,583 Posts
mine arrived yesterday from amazon.com. proudly displayed on the box is "toys-r-us exclusive". It is considerably smaller than the ocean explorer toy, or the older hobby/graupner mr. lobster that i have. I need to go find some AA batteries to get this thing tested.

added photo of the three mini subs i own side by side, i think the air hogs is the nicest of the bunch. it has a "real" ballast tank. allowing it to maintain a specific depth, while the others dont. Mr. lobster has a vertical thruster to push it down, but as soon as you stop the motor, it starts to rise, and the ocean explorer only has two motors, so it will only push itself down when moving forward. I do think the air hog was also the cheapest. can't really tell from the photo, but you could fit at least two of the air hog into the ocean explorer, and probably 1.5 air hogs into the lobster
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Last edited by tsenecal; Feb 24, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:53 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
i got one today as well, local TRU had it, and i need one to be sure i make mine smaller
i took a rather long video in the tub, it turned out darker than i wanted, but it looks like its in the deep ocean, so seems fitting
i will get it uploaded to youtube and post it here later. its like 15 minutes long after editing!
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:19 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Has anyone broken the warranty and opened one up yet?
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:48 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
dont worry tchalfant, i am sure i will peek inside at some point

Air Hogs Dive Master (14 min 5 sec)
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:22 PM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
421 Posts
I love the look of the murky deep in your video. I want to make a better video of mine, but I'm still revamping my aquarium. (A new sub needs a new home, right?) I thought about actually putting some fish in there, but I decided against it. I'm afraid fish poo could clog that tiny steering thruster. The thruster's opening is only about 1mm x 3mm.

I got this brilliant idea to buy some real slate floor tiles, break them up, and epoxy them together to make a "bridge" of sorts for the sub to go under. Well, who would have though a 1/4" slate tile would be so strong. Wailing away with a hammer and chisel just chips it.

I'm still waiting to see the innards of one of these. I would open one of mine, but I could never reassemble it.

Rick
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:03 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon View Post
I love the look of the murky deep in your video. I want to make a better video of mine, but I'm still revamping my aquarium. (A new sub needs a new home, right?) I thought about actually putting some fish in there, but I decided against it. I'm afraid fish poo could clog that tiny steering thruster. The thruster's opening is only about 1mm x 3mm.

I got this brilliant idea to buy some real slate floor tiles, break them up, and epoxy them together to make a "bridge" of sorts for the sub to go under. Well, who would have though a 1/4" slate tile would be so strong. Wailing away with a hammer and chisel just chips it.

I'm still waiting to see the innards of one of these. I would open one of mine, but I could never reassemble it.

Rick

give me $43, and i'd be happy to show you the guts of mine
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:31 PM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
421 Posts
That's $22 cheaper than I could do it myself! ...only because I had to have mine a week before everybody else. I guess it pays to be patient.

Rick
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:33 AM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
855 Posts
Hey guys, I've got a question...

Any trouble controlling it through the glass of the aquarium??? I'm interested in one, but was wondering if the IR gets messed up if you're trying to control it from the front of the aquarium, instead of from above??

I'm heading to TRU tomorrow to see if they have any, and if they do I may just grab a 10 gallon aquarium to start at Walmart because they're only like $11.

I REALLY wanted to buy a Thunder Tiger Neptune, but was scared off by the price and the fact that I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it...however, a tiny sub indoors in an aquarium would be ideal for me, and if I like it, then I'll get that Neptune this summer!!
Gimpdiggity is online now Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:25 AM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
421 Posts
The IR signal goes through the glass with no trouble. I have a fluorescent light in my aquarium. When the light is on, I lose signal in the back corners. Other than that, I never lose signal in my 35 gallon aquarium. I might try a UV grow light to see if that eliminates the IR "interference" in the corners.

While this sub can probably be operated in a fishbowl, I think it would get a little boring if I couldn't cruise around a little. If you're spending the money for the sub, you might want to spend a little more for a larger tank. I found my aquarium at the local flea market for $10, including the hood. Maybe check Craig's List.

Rick
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:39 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
Some fluorescent ballasts emit at close to the same frequency as the IR, 38khz. Led lights would be a good replacement, just find a 12v wall adapter for it
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:46 PM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon View Post
The IR signal goes through the glass with no trouble. I have a fluorescent light in my aquarium. When the light is on, I lose signal in the back corners. Other than that, I never lose signal in my 35 gallon aquarium. I might try a UV grow light to see if that eliminates the IR "interference" in the corners.

While this sub can probably be operated in a fishbowl, I think it would get a little boring if I couldn't cruise around a little. If you're spending the money for the sub, you might want to spend a little more for a larger tank. I found my aquarium at the local flea market for $10, including the hood. Maybe check Craig's List.

Rick
Good point.

My wife bought me the orange and white one today as a gift for me finally remodeling our master bedroom.

Now I just need to get an aquarium setup to run it in. I don't want any fish, don't have time for them these days, but I think I'll set it up with some decorations and such to make it seem like Atlantis. They have an entire set of decorations at the local pet store that would work for that perfectly!!!

I'll probably look into a 20 long, or possibly a 29 gallon, aquarium to run it in.
Gimpdiggity is online now Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:14 PM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where Spacemen Live (TX)
Joined Jan 2000
1,086 Posts
No Disassemble Number 5!

When I saw this thread, I just had to get one. Yup, at Toys 'R Us.

Unfortunately mine was faulty out of the box. Main drive motor barely ran at first then went totally dead. Since I bought it to see if I could use the guts in another project, no great loss.

So without further delay I present to you the just innards! (not for those under 18)
Fitz Walker is offline Find More Posts by Fitz Walker
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:23 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
wow, it really is a little tiny WTC!
i think i could maybe stuff a 30mah cell in there for a full 45 minute run time
i wonder if the led voltage is right to use a different color like white? any chance you could read how many volts its getting?