HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
242 Posts
Discussion
what is a good 800mm ish trainer

I am looking for a good 800mm ish trainer, a slow flyer , some dihedral would be good, something ARF............. what about the hobbyking or FMS super cub? any suggestions?
Shark_fighter78 is offline Find More Posts by Shark_fighter78
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:45 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,065 Posts
the mini cub is that size http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rtf-HBZ4800#t2
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
If you can take another 100mm more, looks like the new FMS red dragonfly will suit your need. haven't really found any review yet but this plane should be a nice flyer so as any other fms plane.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
242 Posts
Cool, is it 4ch? I'm looking for 4ch, I have a fms t28 , but I wanna take a step away from warbirds
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:33 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_fighter78 View Post
Cool, is it 4ch? I'm looking for 4ch, I have a fms t28 , but I wanna take a step away from warbirds
Yes 4 ch.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined Mar 2012
242 Posts
Can that hz hobby cub be modified to 4ch? Add ailerons ? That would be sweet
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:26 AM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Can that hz hobby cub be modified to 4ch? Add ailerons ? That would be sweet
The mini super cub isn't as easy to upgrade to 4-channel as it's big brother is. You would have to replace pretty much all the electronics except the motor (which most people usually upgrade to brushless anyway when upgrading). Also the wing would probably be tricky to add ailerons to but I suppose it's doable.

If you don't mind me asking, are you experienced flying the T-28 and if so why are you looking for a trainer? Also why the 800mm size?
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
242 Posts
I like the 800mm size , good for the area where I fly, I have 2 flights with the t28 flying was ok, landing was not, resulted in slight damage, nothing too bad, I guess trainer was a bad choice of words I guess a slow flyer would be better, the hz champ is so easy to fly, if I could get a bigger version of something like that, but 4ch, I have some 4ch experience, but mostly on micros, I guess I'm still just a rookie on the parkflyers .... Maybe I should just cowboy up and go fly the t28, if I destroy it, it's not the end of the world, it wasn't too expensive...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:43 AM
Joined Mar 2012
242 Posts
Fms super cub looks tempting.... Your thoughts?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:59 AM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
I like the 800mm size , good for the area where I fly, I have 2 flights with the t28 flying was ok, landing was not, resulted in slight damage, nothing too bad, I guess trainer was a bad choice of words I guess a slow flyer would be better, the hz champ is so easy to fly, if I could get a bigger version of something like that, but 4ch, I have some 4ch experience, but mostly on micros, I guess I'm still just a rookie on the parkflyers .... Maybe I should just cowboy up and go fly the t28, if I destroy it, it's not the end of the world, it wasn't too expensive...
I see, how big is the area you fly?

If you don't mind doing a little building the Hacker Super Decathlon would make a nice transition plane to ailerons. It has a 1000mm wingspan but if built lightweight it should be able to fly relatively slow and easy compared to your t-28. Plus it's made of EPP foam which is fairly flexible and thus resistant to damage. It'd probably cost you around $120 to build not including the transmitter, receiver, batteries and battery charger.

Hacker Super Decathlon ARF (8 min 15 sec)

Despite the video I probably wouldn't count on smooth takeoffs or landings on grass with the included landing gear.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:25 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,752 Posts
Take a look at the Ares Gamma 370 Pro from Hobby Town. It is a 4 channel brushless model that is very stable in flight. You can purchase the non-aileron wing with it and use it as a 3 channel if you like and install the 4 channel wing when you get comfortable with the plane. The plane retails for $99.99 reveiver ready and the non-aileron wing goes for around 20 bucks.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:19 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,065 Posts
Quote:
I have some 4ch experience, but mostly on micros
which micros do you fly?
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:47 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
The blackdogrc cherokee was one of my favorite planes. It is 3ch (Aileron, elevator, throttle) although you could add a rudder if you wanted. It is very simple to build and one of the easiest planes to build. One of the toughest ive ever flown. You could land the thing upside down and wouldnt hurt it. http://blackdogrc.com/brody/index.jsp#_EPP_CHEROKEE-KIT
hot glue is offline Find More Posts by hot glue
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:55 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
510 Posts
Quote:
Personally, I'd go for a 4 ch. and start as you mean to go on. My Art-Tech Decathalon foamie - a cheapo - was possibly not the best choice for a newbie, but with 50% dual rates and 25% expo and a smooth area for half-throttle take-offs (all of them seem to have quite small wheels), I did finally got two lipos worth of nice flights and landings out of it today - but only after fitting 'Jumbo' wheels.

I just wish I'd known about dual rates and expo when I first started, and maybe I wouldn't have crashed it. Still, it does tick all the 'trainer' boxes. Just make sure you pick a place without any trees until you get the hang of it!
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:11 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,051 Posts
Slightly larger just over 900MM is Parkzones New Archer. Takes bouncy landings with no damage due to its light weight . Had exactly same issues my early days with T28, damaging the front nose wheel more than frequently.

Not a cheapie but a nice scale flyer. Share of bounced landings and unscathed last couple dozen flights.

My maiden blew first landing, abit fast on 2nd landing but dead sticking it in. It floats slow speeds.

Abusive first flight, it's a real fun flyer easy to handle

Parkzone Archer Zero Degrees Flight Low Wing RC (2 min 22 sec)
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy