SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:23 PM
RC Heli Junky
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
Help!
Is this normal?

ok so the issue im having on my 450 heli, is when i throttle up from lift off the heli rotates counter clockwise, even when throttling up slow. its not uncontrollable. it only rotates about 180 degrees then stops and lifts off normal. it only happens on initial start up at about 30-40% throttle. im tired of having to throttle up half way then spin the heli back around to where the tail is facing me so i can complete my lift off. Is this a normal thing with a 450 heli or is there something that need to be adjusted?
countrybo89 is offline Find More Posts by countrybo89
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:33 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,379 Posts
Do you plug in the battery right there on the launch site? Or do you do it on a table and carry it there? If you do it somewhere else, the gyro thinks the heli has turned around and will try to get it back into the heading it had when it was first turned on.

When i turn on my heli, i flip the gain switch down to turn off the gyro (50% gain) while i carry it. I don't turn it back on until just before i launch.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:36 PM
RC Heli Junky
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
i do sometimes bind the heli and walk to the launch site but not often. in either case walking there or plugging it in at the launch site it still does this. its only while throttling up for lift off that it does a real quick 180 degree rotation sometimes less. then from there on its fine until i land and relaunch. i tried turning my gyro gain up maybe its not compensating for this spin out and that did not stop it, so i tried turn it down and nothing different i don't know what may cause this issue.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:09 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,379 Posts
So it doesn't even attempt to go back by itself? If i spin up very fast, the body does turn counter clockwise, but usually only about 45 degrees before the tail spins fast enough to start thrusting air, then the heli creeps back to the starting position as it gets lighter on its skids.

If you throttle down to a complete stop, and then lift off again, does it stil do this?

What gyro are you using? And have you tried flipping the gyro gain up and down several times to reinitialize the gyro before launch?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:37 AM
RC Heli Junky
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
it dois this almost every time i go from zero throttle to lift off speeds about 55% and no it doesn't correct its self. i have to spin it back around before lifting of the ground. now sometimes if i raise the throttle very very slowly almost one notch at a time it wont do it. the gyro i have on my heli is the factory gyro its a Detrum GY192 head lock gyro.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:31 AM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,210 Posts
What esc do you have It could be your esc setup. If you can spin-up with real slow throttle input and it stays in place? you may not have a very good soft-start setup with your esc. That could cause the motor torque to jerk the heli to life and might cause the spin. I've had that problem with a few esc's a good soft start is one thing I always look for now. I'm pretty sure they spin counter clockwise with a harder start it's been awhile since I had the problem. I think you will see this more on a smooth surface spin up once in the air it flies fine.
skyeblu is offline Find More Posts by skyeblu
Last edited by skyeblu; Feb 17, 2013 at 02:45 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:28 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
it is probably the heading-hold gyro that has its own opinion where the nose is supposed to point.
When you spool up any larger-than-micro heli, with proper HH setup, you'll need some rudder correction so that the tail rotor stays where it is. You'll do it automatically after a while.
It depends on the surface. On a smooth gym floor, just flick the switch and let it find its own direction.
Outdoors, the tail rotor would hit some obstacle, grass, gravel, whatever, so you have to be more alert.
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:47 AM
RC Heli Junky
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeblu View Post
What esc do you have It could be your esc setup. If you can spin-up with real slow throttle input and it stays in place? you may not have a very good soft-start setup with your esc. That could cause the motor torque to jerk the heli to life and might cause the spin. I've had that problem with a few esc's a good soft start is one thing I always look for now. I'm pretty sure they spin counter clockwise with a harder start it's been awhile since I had the problem. I think you will see this more on a smooth surface spin up once in the air it flies fine.
im not 100% sure but i do believe this is the ESC it came with from factory .
Dynam Detrum 40A ESC(3A BEC)
at first i thought maybe the belt was slipping and the tail rotor wasn't catching it on start up but i looked and the belt seems to be tight. so i thought maybe it was my gyro the gyro i have is a head holding gyro from factory. (yet i cant figure out how to toggle the gyro from hh to rh) im a very good flyer but im just now starting to learn how all the parts really work. i have seen many review for the heli i bought and alot of people mention the factory racon tx is junk and the stock gyro is lacking something to be desired. iv noticed that now when i get the heli off the ground at a hover about 5-6 ft, my tail rotor is very hard to trim no matter how much i get it close to hold, it starts drifting slowly left or right with each click i cant seem to make it hold. i thought that was the HH gyros job to help with that which leads me to believe that maybe i have a bad gyro . do you have any ideas on how to fix this spin out and the hard trimming ?