HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:52 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,564 Posts
Where can you get the lado linear actuators?

Edit:

Nevermind found em
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Mar 05, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:14 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,965 Posts
v8 what do think of the Lado version? Look pretty good. Well, I'm not getting the foam till Friday so will lay up a couple of T28's while waiting. I'll also work on the tail cones maybe try hot wire cutting those. I'm thinking of getting what Pete suggested. The twin aluminum 90mm Taiwan fans with large ESC's. With two 5000 6S at one per side they should work for what I need. The scale nozzles work out at exactly 80% of the 90mm fans.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:33 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,564 Posts
Yes the lado version @ $55 are awesome, functional, and compact enough for your Euro. I wish i would've seen em before. @ 55g isn't really that bad, but wish they were in the 35-45g range for a foamie, may try one on a spare Su35 hatch just for the heck of it @ some point.

I've always wanted a twin 90mm plane so I also agree and they will sound sick. However I've always wanted a 120mm edf so maybe that can be a route and you won't have to stray too far from the Freewing Euro bifurcated duct setup and use it as an guide or mold.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:34 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,965 Posts
Okay you EDF experts. I'm thinking of getting this setup. reasonable price for a twin setup at 6S Usable in other models. Suppose to have really nice whoosh sound. Input welcome

TURNIGY K-Force 150A OPTO 2-6S Brushless ESChttp://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8920

Mercury Alloy 12 Blade 90mm 1900kv EDF Unit (6s)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Unit_6s_.html
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:39 AM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Oct 2009
522 Posts
Nice fans, but they may be a bit hard on the flight packs (2x 6s 5000mah?). If you are building it light, then the following may be better suited and you can get a counter-rotating unit too:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._1750watt.html

That means an easier time for the packs and smaller and cheaper ESCs. It's probably what I'd be doing.

Si G
Si Goodchild is offline Find More Posts by Si Goodchild
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:12 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,558 Posts
Ace,

The Jetfan 90 is the hot one for the moment. Go with a 6s setup on both sides, I trust thier posted testing numbers more than I trust the HK numbers.

I have two 90mm fans ATM, one is a Wemotec 90mm/Nue 1415 1.5Y motor/running on 8s Zippy Lipos/HK Sentillon 100amp ESC. The other is an SM90/HET 1200kv/will use the same battery setup and ESC. The Wemotec/motor combo was from JHH, has been running flawless and is fairly lightweight. The SM90 only bench run ATM.

Regards,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:40 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,147 Posts
Here is a selection of motors for the Jetfan 90 -6s, and results

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...TFAN-90-V2.jpg
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,965 Posts
Where do you buy the jetfan 90? Is it pre-balanced Can I purchase with the motors mounted and dynamically balanced. Only found one source and they only have the fan with no motor and only one in stock.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:07 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,147 Posts
http://www.performance-edf.biz/ has the fans. Just go to the site and e-mail Mike, he will get back to you in short order, he does have a real job. Service from him is outstanding!
The motor is up to you, with all the choices for this fan, its personnal preference here.

I don't think anyone ever has had to balance this fan, the most you might need to do is reposition the spinner. Mail C/N on these , he can give you all the info you might need. I havn't got mine set-up yet, planes not done, but I went with the Het 1200Kv, but it's 12s!
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,965 Posts
Thanks guys.... Just emailed Mike he seems to be back ordered. Also found two errors in the motor selection table for 6S so not feeling good about trusting the published info...
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:33 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,147 Posts
Sorry beyond my control. but you can always go to the thread, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504718 and do a search for videos, quite a few 6s , most post there set-ups, and you can judge for yourself.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:18 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,564 Posts
Here's extremes #s

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...58190a94873d8a
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,965 Posts
I'm still awaiting my new foam sheets to arrive which is tomorrow. Once these get here then I can motor ahead. Want to have it sheeted and the wings being laid out by end of next week. So while waiting I ordered the Fans which will be 2 x Fanjet 90's V2 Got them from here. Great service and price ---> http://www.performance-edf.biz/ Just found out that my mate at the club was flying one in his sabre that had a really cool turbine sound and was super smooth. He has the version one.

So to fill in time I laid up another T-28 and roughed in the tail nozzles. I would like to have this completely built with wings etc by the end of March. Then another month or so to fit all the gear and go test fly. Then I'll decide weather it becomes the plug or I build another for that and just keep flying this.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,965 Posts
Okay folks its time to build and build again. I'm a week behind schedule awaiting my new foam. I'm so glad that I waited. Just got it today from Model Plane Foam inc. Wow! it is lovely stuff. Perfectly flat with no ridging etc. It does have a grain to it and forms beautifully over my tightest curves. Just needs a little finessing over a plastic pipe to get it to curve and when done pretty much stays as is. I was so stoked that I went and purchased a two stage hot glue gun. It actually has a foam setting. Cost $9 from wally world and $6 for the multi range heat glue sticks. So I did a quick test and it does not damage any of my foams. I tried the pink, blue and white along with my dollar tree foam core board. So tomorrow I'll get started. Due to some distance between some of the stations I'll add balsa stringers to keep everything straight and stiff. I also have to add some side walls of the foam core to the stations to allow for end to end glueing of the panels. I expect the prep work to be no more than a couple of hours then start laying up panels. I should have most of it done by the end of tomorrow. Also, this new foam sands very well. I tested with some 220 grit and then a 320 to smooth it out. It does not chip out like the pink stuff and works exceptionally well. So tomorrow I'll post some pics and hope that I have made a lot of progress.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,147 Posts
Glad to hear about the foam, I have a box of it starring at me, wondering when its going to be used! I have been using pink FFF to work out some kinks in my build, no way would I want to build an entire plane from it!!

I will be glad to start with the MPF. I have lots and lots of curves in my build. Nice to know that it-
(" forms beautifully over my tightest curves. Just needs a little finessing over a plastic pipe to get it to curve and when done pretty much stays as is.")

I will be watching, maybe I can learn some tricks!
Mark