Thanks much Uncle

I'll check them out.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:41 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,586 Posts
Here is a couple of websites that have airfoils in reference to where used and data to draw or cut with.

http://www.ae.illinois.edu/m-selig/a...atabase.html#N

http://www.ae.illinois.edu/m-selig/ads/aircraft.html

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:09 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,994 Posts
Thanks for the airfoil info. Next week I begin the build. I decided to build it in two parts. I will do the prototype with a top and bottom. The bottom will step up at the intakes to allow for the front section. I'm undecided if I'll make this one flyable or just go straight to the plug ready for molding. I have never worked with the stations and foam before so will be interesting. After seeing John Morgans big ass F16 built this way in a few weeks I have to try it.

I was going to use the blue fan fold then found out that you can order high quality 1/4" foam that will be easier to work with. Cost a little more but every bit helps. The 2" pink foam will be used for larger chunks that need shaping and also to makes work stands with. I'm going to attempt the wings with Dollar tree laminated foam card stock with CF spars and glass covered to test airfoils. So will probably build a couple of prototypes. I'm really going to experiment for the first two weeks then decide on the best path.

I have been communicating with several experts in airfoils but all I get is pointed to technical sites that will take me longer to learn about Delta wings than just building the bloody things and trying them. I was hoping someone would simply pass on a known airfoil to fit this plane. I have also sent emails to quite a few guys who have built Euros and flew with success. I have asked if they would share the airfoil info and not one responded. Well, I'm not guarding anything and will certainly share anything that I come up with.

So onwards and upwards..................
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:44 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Awesome,!!! I have been waiting for this build!!!! You Go Boy!!!!

SUBSCRBED!!!

The next Vegas event is going to be sweeeet!! lots of new builds and great projects...
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:29 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Pull water off your wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Vortex - electric smoke. Just a bit, so it disperses quickly! Lots of fine holes in the wing upper surface

Flare - match heads? Lots of phosphourus...
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
I need a chemical that smokes like hell when exposed to air?

Ahh the pull water off the wings and make a vortex trail...it's a quest of mine as well. I hope to have a working prototype done by Vegas as well.

Here is what I have so far. Fallow the path of the backyard misting setup. Take a small water pump similar to the ones the turbine guys use as smoke pumps. Carry an 8 to 10 oz water tank in the plane like a small Sulivan fuel tank and pump the water through lines that have misting nozzels on the ends of them at the wings leading edge and the wing tips. A plane only pulls the water off the wings or makes the vortex trail for short periods only seconds at a time so 10 oz's of water should last for at least four of five short bursts.
It would be cool to pull up hard at the end of a high speed pass and create the illusion of pulling water off the wings
I have new pump arriving in a few days and will test it and let you know my findings.

Also a simple "G" switch is made so the system would be automatic. A small fishing weight on top of a spring that when the plane pulls "G"'s the weight compreases the spring and turnes on the switch that runs the pump. Unload the plane and relese the "G"'s and the pump turns off.

Andy

P.S. A few drops of white food coloring in the water tank may enhance the trail it makes also.
Last edited by falcon5; Mar 01, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:40 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Hmm, titanium dioxide would make it much more visible (it's a white food colouring).
simple, I like!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:36 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,175 Posts
Ace how are you cutting your foam formers ? trusty old hobby knife or hotwire ?

Saw a great little hand hot wire in a thread Here
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,994 Posts
Andy........ Cool concept. Would love something that would work. Maybe use an air tank with regulator so its ready on demand. The fuel pump may have some lag? We will get it figured some how. I think that I have the Chaff and flare dispenser figured. Best would be some kind of chemical that would mist up when exposed to atmosphere.

What servoless retracts did you first order for the T38. I'm now selecting and ordering components. Also, did you like the ESC's I think they where Turnigy? I want to decide on if to use a single larger EDF with lots of blades or twin 90's. I'm thinking a metal unit/units. I would like to be able to run 6S per side if 90's and want the turbine sound if possible. Suggestions?

When are you doing your big ass Euro

Wilfor....... I'll be using a mix of knife and hot wire. I'm going to test hot glue low melt for the build and see if compatible with the new foam. This would allow super fast build time. Not to much worried about a bit of extra weight as lots of lift from the delta wing.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:24 PM
RC Adddict
Joined Jan 2010
4,175 Posts
I had a heck of a time with hot glue . It sure is fast but i couldnt get a good bond with a low temp gun . With my high temp it gets to hot , ive got a dimmer that i want to setup so i can control the heat down to a manageable temp ideally you want it to melt/weld the foam with the glue . If your glassing it then it probably wont be a problem and will build fast
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:43 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,994 Posts
I will be glassing so just want a quick build then test a couple of wing airfoils out. If it looks quite decent and flies well then maybe turn it into the plug and pull the molds. That is assuming it survives several test flights. I use hot glue with the pink home depot stuff and its good to hold stuff together but not strong joints. Someone told me white gorilla glue is good. I've tried some of the other gorilla products and have not been impressed at all. I did pick up the white to try. Problem is living in a dry desert. Al of of glues etc require moisture to cure, hence a problem.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:59 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
My retracts were the lado electrics.

I thought about an air system for the water thing but the electric way sounded simpler, not sure. The delay in activation is solved with a check valve in the system so once the system is primed it should be water on demand instantly.

Great build you have here, look forward to seeing it in Vegas.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:11 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,994 Posts
[QUOTE=falcon5;24295303]My retracts were the lado electrics.

I thought about an air system for the water thing but the electric way sounded simpler, not sure. The delay in activation is solved with a check valve in the system so once the system is primed it should be water on demand instantly.

Great build you have here, look forward to seeing it in Vegas.[/QUOTE

I also want to see yours in vegas. Seeing I sent you the plans you have no excuse.... laugh Yeah check valve good idea. Keep us informed.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:24 AM
RC Adddict
Joined Jan 2010
4,175 Posts
Ace not nearly as dry here but I have a misting bottle for that very reason . I saw another thread where someone was mixing GG in a paper cup with water , letting it foam and then applying it . Seamed to work well. You could always use the GG Along the joints and the hot glue to tack/hold it in place to speed up the build
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:31 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,586 Posts
I used the Gorilla glue on my TA37, Boogie posted how he used it and it comes out foamy but easy to sand. He spread the glue thin over the area to be bonded on one side and used a damp cloth on the other side to dampen the other side which sets the glue to foam but it is so thin it just fills the gaps. He tapes the outside of the foam or wood so the foam is controllable. I was able to sand the parts after a few hours, it sanded similar to the foam itself so it came out smooth with no hard spots. Check out the pictures in the blog entry.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,994 Posts
Eric..... Was that the white none foaming or the regular brown glue? I ordered that new 1/4" foam yesterday and got a shipping confirmation today. So may have it by mid week. That will give me time to print and cut out new formers from foam board with the corrected T1 dual seat trainer cockpit/canopy shape. In between I'll lay up another T-28. Now I have to decide on if to power with twin90 metal 10 blade plus fans. Or a large 120 metal. Then what is best in or out runner ? Any of you fan experts have input. I would love to stick to 6S 5000 per side if possible. I expect the flying weight to be 12 to 15 lbs. Also what is the best Etract and oleo set at reasonable price?

I made a score today... A fellow came to the field while I was shooting the breeze and said he had a trunk full of RC stuff. I checked it out and it was crammed with brand new fittings carbs and all kinds of stuff. Looked like he had robbed a hobby shop way back. I offered a few bucks for boxes of clevices, horns etc. He said give me $40 for the lot. None of us had cash with us so I ran home which is three miles from the field and got cash. Just did inventory and must be a street value of at least two grand or more. I have a box of nitro glow plugs that have over sixty new plugs alone along with fifty plus new gas tanks of all sizes. I now have enough goodies to build many a plane for years to come. I'll sell off the glow stuff and keep all the fittings etc. Moral is to always have a bunch of cash when going flying. This was the second guy today to do this.