SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:38 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,075 Posts
I'm sure that you will John. LOL. I very much doubt that it will get completely done with all the toys but one must provide a challenge. I still have to finish the composite wing on the T28. So I figure that with the long dry times between prime coats and finishing up the wing I can get working on this baby. My plan is to have the Fuse totally ready for laying up the mold by mid April. Depending on the wing airfoil it maybe foam cut then sheeted for now until molds are made. The working scale toys can wait and will be designed in over time.

I really want to make this very detailed with super clean lines etc. The T28 was allowed to have a few dents and blemishes in the plug for more realism. These jets are super clean lines so it must be perfect and polished like glass prior to flushing the panels and rivets.

Now if I could steal some of your talent then it would definitely be finished on time.
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:40 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,075 Posts
Radar... Great pics thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:22 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,272 Posts
Been working on my wife to let me and my 6 year old son drive down to vegas in Oct . This would be another great plane to see there
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:57 PM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Oct 2009
522 Posts
OOH NICE!. Having served 2 tours at RAF Coningsby (spiritual home of the UK Typhoon Force) I'm very keen to see how this one pans out. One day, when I have less work on and a good airfield to fly from, I'd love to build one myself, although I will be going for a foam build like the 144" T28s on this forum.

Only one input from me at this point - please don't do thrust vectoring! It's be a pity to spoil your scale efforts.
Si Goodchild is offline Find More Posts by Si Goodchild
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Goodchild View Post
OOH NICE!. Having served 2 tours at RAF Coningsby (spiritual home of the UK Typhoon Force) I'm very keen to see how this one pans out. One day, when I have less work on and a good airfield to fly from, I'd love to build one myself, although I will be going for a foam build like the 144" T28s on this forum.

Only one input from me at this point - please don't do thrust vectoring! It's be a pity to spoil your scale efforts.
Cool...... Any chance that you still know anyone that could get hold of the root and tip airfoil profiles? That is what is holding me up right now. Regards VT. I will have that as an optional feature that you will not be able to see until turned on. I fly the odd demo flights with my Flanker and the TV's help do some really difficult maneuvers that get the crowds going. However, Test model #1 will be without as the canards may do what I need for the aero stuff.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:41 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,912 Posts
Subbed for this build too!
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:03 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Extremely poor res shot of what I think you'd want:

It looks to me like a 5% biconvex airfoil, modified to incorporate LE droop and a touch of reflex.

I tried finding shots of the fuselage without wings attached, but the fairing isn't really the same shape as the wing so it didn't give much useful info.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,075 Posts
Exactly what I want but need it clear to pull the airfoil off.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:06 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Unfortunately that came from BAe's website, so I don't think they'll release a higher-res version
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:23 AM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Oct 2009
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Exactly what I want but need it clear to pull the airfoil off.
Sorry, can't help there but I wouldn't mind betting that it's some exotic super-critical affair that isn't suited to low-Reynolds number flight in a model. Are you sure you want to match the airfoil? I can't help but think that you are better off optimising the airfoil you use in the model for the 50-150mph range rather than one designed for mach 2! Suggest you just use an airfoil that works as this scale.
Si Goodchild is offline Find More Posts by Si Goodchild
Last edited by Si Goodchild; Feb 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:07 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Goodchild View Post
Sorry, can't help there but I wouldn't mind betting that it's some exotic super-critical affair that isn't suited to low-Reynolds number flight in a model. Are you sure you want to match the airfoil? I can't help but think that you are better off optimising the airfoil you use in the model for the 50-150mph range rather than one designed for mach 2! Suggest you just use an airfoil that works as this scale.
+1

I would suggest looking into the MH series.

60,61,62,64 The lower the number the higher % of chord.

if your looking for a thinner airfoil look into the 40 series, these also have a slight reflex built into them.

just my $0.02
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:54 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_FAST View Post
+1

I would suggest looking into the MH series.

60,61,62,64 The lower the number the higher % of chord.

if your looking for a thinner airfoil look into the 40 series, these also have a slight reflex built into them.

just my $0.02
Si, D

Do you know where one of these airfoils might be? I just need a picture of it. I'm no expert on delta foils.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:02 PM
EDF Vulcan To The Sky
Near Koblenz, Germany
Joined Jul 2002
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Si, D

Do you know where one of these airfoils might be? I just need a picture of it. I'm no expert on delta foils.

Here you go (look for Flying Wings)

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/

Frank
Radar-Guy is offline Find More Posts by Radar-Guy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Jepe Hunter
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:09 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,075 Posts
A change of plan. After reviewing John Morgans FanFold F-16 build. I have decided to try that method on the Euro. Three reasons. First is I can get the foam locally for once. Two is I can build rapidly and try new techniques. Three, if Master builder John Morgan uses this technique then its good enough for me. So next week I'm off to Lowes to pickup supplies. Then I have one month to complete the prototype/mockup. For the month of March I can schedule eight hours a day seven days a week without interruptions except for feeding and walking the dog. The cars will get put outside and I will setup at least two bays of my garage to the build. This way I can have all my machinery in one place and not worry about to much mess. I can also run back and forth to my shop and continue finishing the build on the T28 along with the Euro. So.... Soon... very Soon.

See Johns F16 build here---->
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799004
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:10 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Here are some air foils that one of the Guru's had posted in a jet thread. Maybe a couple people. I have not checked them out and cannot remember which thread it was but they were jets. NACA4 series or low camber ,NACA 0012 , NACA 1412 or 2412 low pitching NACA 23012 , HQ Acro airfoils , NACA 4 series 0008 , HT 05 , HT 12- 13- 14 I just scribled them down so you would have to see ifyou can use one.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash