HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Discussion
Best Glow Plugs

I like McCoys or OS. I expect to get a gallon of fuel with a McCoy before the platinum deterioriates and I lose RPM/power, glow. Is it true that many plugs are made by the same people? Your choice in glow plugs?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:26 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
878 Posts
Irwin Ohlssons' company made the majority for many years (the same as the Ohlsson & Rice engines' producer).
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Feb 14, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
I use Fox 2 volt longs where they will fit. Flying stunt, they last indefinately. I tried the Fox 2 volt shorts and didn't like them.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:38 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
878 Posts
George A had a bucket full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
I use Fox 2 volt longs where they will fit. Flying stunt, they last indefinately. I tried the Fox 2 volt shorts and didn't like them.
Any time anyone sent him engines to work on with Fox's plugs in them, he smashed them on his anvil with a small sledge he kept atop that anvil, and dropped the flattened remains in his bucket.

I use K&B for engines needing a cold-running plug. and ThunderJets in those needing a hot plug. I like McCoys pretty well, but they aren't quite as easy to obtain.

Kiwi
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:59 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
The glow plug that works best for you is the one you want to use. If I can get a $5 plug to work just as well, or almost just as well, as a $10 plug, I’ll use it. For small engines ie) Cox, they all used glow heads (expensive). There are glow head adapters that will take a standard plug. The trade off is lost performance, which you may not need.
If you are flying speed and use a pipe, a cheap regular plug will blow on the first run and the plug element will come apart and may ruin your motor.
Depending on the engine, the fuel you use, and how hard you run your engine will all affect plug “life”.
You generally get what you pay for.
Most of my plugs are Fox. I’ve had good luck with them.
For my smaller engines that require glow heads I generally use an adapter to take a regular plug.
One of my favourite small engines is a 1.8 cc Webra Speedy. I had the glow head machined to take a regular plug. It works fine and again I’m happy with the performance.
Bottom line: use what works best for you and you are happy with. Just my 2 cents worth!
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:52 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
Any time anyone sent him engines to work on with Fox's plugs in them, he smashed them on his anvil with a small sledge he kept atop that anvil, and dropped the flattened remains in his bucket.

I use K&B for engines needing a cold-running plug. and ThunderJets in those needing a hot plug. I like McCoys pretty well, but they aren't quite as easy to obtain.

Kiwi

It amazes me how this topic gets such a wide variety of answers. Kiwi's forgotten more than I'll ever know about CL. However, in 1975 I was working for Ca Model Supply, flying every weekend with The Skyburners and using K&B plugs-they'd last around 1 gallon of fuel. When a new batch of K&B plugs were delivered to the store, they were visably dfferent and had the poor quality of Fox plugs we sold. 2 or 3 tanks of fuel and they were dead or compromised. Later, McCoy and OS plugs became available and would typically be good for about a gallon of fuel.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Duke must have been a very interesting person. Smashing his own plugs on returned engines? There's a story. His contempt for his own plugs was palpable. Most think the NVA's used in his legendary 35 were sub par.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:20 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
Duke must have been a very interesting person. Smashing his own plugs on returned engines? There's a story. His contempt for his own plugs was palpable. Most think the NVA's used in his legendary 35 were sub par.
George Aldrich was good friends with Fox, personally, but they often disagreed, and plugs was one of the points of disagreement. It was George who had a blacksmith's Anvil in his garage, which was always where his engine rework shop was located. I knew Duke Fox, but we weren't close friends, just passing acquaintances, meeting at the occasional contest.

The K.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:15 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
415 Posts
Like John, I don't like paying premium prices for plugs. Especially when Nelson plugs are only $5, or $5.50. Makes you want to machine up inserts for all the motors.

Whenever I buy anything from Enya, I always include a bunch of plugs in the order -Great plugs.

I've also bought a big order of plugs from Merlin. So far they work reliably and seem to have a reasonable life.

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:34 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Hehehehehe , oh dear !

The best plug is the one that works !
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:41 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Greg, are you able to machine an insert that will fit a Nelson thread, and then use a regular ľ-32 standard plug? I got the Parra Wasp 1.5 and it only uses the Nelson plug, which I don’t have. I do have a card of Fox plugs.
Thanks
John
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:05 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
415 Posts
Sorry John, no can do.

But you should be able to get Nelson style plugs from Merlin or someone may have contact details for Henry Nelson for plugs.

G
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:01 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Parra Wasp 1.5 , glow plug

Thanks Greg. Found the Merlin with 5/16 hex - 1125A - Nelson is the correct plug to use in the Parra Wasp 1.5cc . I asked Alberto and he sent me one within a week. Now thatís what I call great service.
John

Specs on the Wasp

PROP Ventury 3,30mm Ventury 2,70 mm
Graupner 6x6 17.700 rpm 16.400 rpm
Graupner 6x5 19.700 17650
Graupner 6x4 20.910 18.900
APC 6x4 20.600 18.800
NN 6,4x3,76 21.150 19.100
Kavan 6x4 yelow 18.100
Kavan 7x4 black 17.600 16.300

More info can be found here

http://www.clubtamaran.com/Parra.htm
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:51 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,105 Posts
FWIW, you can get the Nelson plugs locally from Aerohobby.
Yaroslav is in Mississauga. email him rather than order though the web site for the best local pricing

You can also order direct from Henry. I think he is still selling them despite being out of the motor building business now. (He was still selling plugs as of last summer)
I think he prefers bulk orders though, not just a few at a time.

Merlin does make a Nelson head compatible plugs now, I have note tried them out yet.
http://shop.sam-rairacing.com/Merlin...-MGP-1125A.htm
http://shop.sam-rairacing.com/Merlin...d-MGP-1125.htm

The Parra is a nice looking little motor. What are you going to put it in?
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:15 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
736 Posts
I use Thunderbolt long R/C plugs in all my old Fox 35's and McCoy Red Heads. They seem to run well and last a long time. The Sonic Tronics Glo Devil 300 plugs work well also. I use Fox long R/C plugs in my Fox 59's as they work ok and are the only plugs that my battery will fit on the best.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft