SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:20 PM
XR-4Drone.com
Joined May 2011
350 Posts
Help!
GoPro 2 and BEC

I am wondering if someone can help me.
I would like to know if it is possible to power my GoPro(usb) from a RX?
I am placing an order with HK and would like to know what parts i need to order.

Thank you
dante1 is offline Find More Posts by dante1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:29 AM
Athens
Joined Aug 2008
98 Posts
USB power supply voltage is 5 volts. So ,if you are going to power supply your receiver and servos using a 5 volts BEC, then yes, it is possible to power supply GoPro from the receiver. Just google "usb connector pinout" to use the proper terminals.
Take into account that there will be an additional current draw due to power supplying the GoPro from the same BEC that supplies the receiver and the servos, so be cerefull about BEC's maximum current delivery.
bladeskiller is offline Find More Posts by bladeskiller
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:19 AM
XR-4Drone.com
Joined May 2011
350 Posts
My RX is actually being powered by an Arduino Nano board's 5volt pin.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:59 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,035 Posts
With additional equipment like this I recommend a separate, dedicated 5V BEC. They are extremely light and you avoid the possibility of that one addition pushing a borderline BEC over the edge. You should be able to feed it from the same source. Just ensure ONLY the camera is powered by the supplemental BEC's output and it does not tie into the flight system with anything but common ground reference.

Don't forget most of the lower cost units do not have that great a current rating and in fact are what is called "Power Limited" in that the higher the input voltage the lower the output current. You also have to note with the good quality BEC's they at least tell you that output rating is only with a minimum 5 MPH cooling airflow. In stagnant air it will be much less. Add to BEC's built into ESC's and thermal stress alone can be excessive.

Check your flight dedicated BEC for current rating and try to measure or calculate the total requirement of all the systems or components to be fed by it. A lot of what I have seen or bought run from 2-3A with a max of 5-6A and only on the better units have the ratings gone as high as 10-20A.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:06 AM
XR-4Drone.com
Joined May 2011
350 Posts
So, to be safe...I should get power directly from my LIPO 3S-->BEC--->GoPro?
Would you know which BEC I would need? THe GoPro has a USB charger plug so I would imagine it's 5volts. But I don't know the amperage. What do you recommend I get from HobbyKing?

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:43 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,035 Posts
Yes, connecting it that way should work. I would warn to set it up so that BEC is plugged in with or after your main system to prevent large spikes from getting to what may be more sensitive electronics.

Compared to the power consumption of drive systems, (motor, prop, rotors, etc.) these should have minimal effect on flight times. Hauling the extra weight of the camera and gimbal system would be the factor.

Does the specs for the GoPro list current consumption? If not, perhaps they list the life expectancy for each battery charge. Using that and the battery capacity may let you calculate the draw.

I would be guessing, but doubt it would exceed 3-5A as that would really tax a small internal battery.

Also make note when ordering some BEC's have selectable output voltage. That would confirm it being a "Switching" type that is a lot more efficient than the older and less sophisticated "linears" that dumped excess voltage as heat. Some may still have a fixed output, (or actually programmable) but check if they list it as switching. Only warning I can give on those is never power them up without a load attached. A lot don't like that at all. If yours has a jumper or switch ensure it is set for no higher than 5V to protect your device(s).
Last edited by Cougar429; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:59 PM
XR-4Drone.com
Joined May 2011
350 Posts
I read this on a website.

"If the battery is not charged, it can draw up to 900 mA, so it is advisable to use a real 1 amp power adapter"

I don't want to use the battery. The battery is 27grams so if a can do without it...that would be great.

I have this UBEC http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=209
Is this okay or should I get another one?
I am placing an order with HobbyKing anyway.

Thanks,

Dante1

ps. BTW this is to be used on a Modded AR-Drone.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:17 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,035 Posts
I don't see why that would not work. It appears to be a switching type and with 3A it should be enough margin. If you are placing an order anyway see if they have a similar 5A BEC and increase the comfort. I doubt it would weigh any more.

The only concern is how sensitive the camera electronics are to spikes or noise as some switching BEC's can be rather noisy electrically on the output. They may require the battery anyway to prevent anything nasty from reaching in and releasing the "Magic Smoke".

p.s. Magic Smoke is what makes electronics work. If you ever see it leaking from a case or housing it usually means they're pooched.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:50 AM
Joined Oct 2004
27 Posts
I charge my gopro with a BEC supplying either 5v or 6v based on a jumper setting. It stays almost room temperature. It's on a quadcopter.
greggles is offline Find More Posts by greggles
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:05 AM
XR-4Drone.com
Joined May 2011
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggles View Post
I charge my gopro with a BEC supplying either 5v or 6v based on a jumper setting. It stays almost room temperature. It's on a quadcopter.
Do you have a picture you can send me? Do you have it connected to the RX or directly to the battery? Which BEC are you using?

THanks,

Dante1