HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:57 AM
Port Townsend, WA
Joined Jan 2002
151 Posts
Build Log
Peanut Scale Citabria 12"

Hi all -

This is just a reference (along with a single photo) pointing to the original post of my newly completed Peanut Scale Citabria under Scale Models. Since the little peanut qualifies as both scale and indoor/micro thought I'd touch base in both Forums.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1831048

Cheers!
jgk
Jeff Kelety is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Kelety
Last edited by Jeff Kelety; Feb 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:17 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
932 Posts
Jeff, That is one of the best looking peanut model, rubber or other wise I have ever seen of the Citabria! Fantastic job. Especially the color tissue combination. It is so nice to see a model expertly done.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:39 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,632 Posts
Lovely model..very nicely built.
Oddly I have a 36" span version. Very similar.. except being of Red /White stick/film for 049 power and 36" span
It is surprisingly Aerobatic= Citabria.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:42 AM
Port Townsend, WA
Joined Jan 2002
151 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, MC. It took a rediculously long time to complete, almost too much effort per gram of output <g>. But it was nonetheless a gratifying return to the building methods of my youth. That I can fly it as indoor RC is just icing on the cake.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:45 AM
Port Townsend, WA
Joined Jan 2002
151 Posts
Beautiful work, Bare!! And I have those plans as well. I referenced them prior to starting this project as a possible starting point. In the end, I drew plans directly from a set of 3-views. How does your Citabria fly? Can't tell if you included ailerons.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:40 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,632 Posts
thanx She's an Oldster, built in mid *80's and not flown since mid 90's.
Too pretty to play model baseball with.. So I kept it safe..
If memory serves, it was a surprisingly agile model, Loops and stall turns with ease and light enough so landings needed lots of gliding room.
I'm thinking that yours will do similar.. a fair turn of speed and long approaches
Sans ailerons though (which I would not omit if building it today)
Photo is surprisingly blurry.. sorry.
Simple appearing stick builds DO take an inordinate amount of work. Worthwhile when it's finally over tho :-)
Was thinking of installing a 24 gm 2730 in it .. soon.. it needs using.
Somewhere? I have a PDF of the plan. Typically, it remains elusive when needed.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:53 PM
Port Townsend, WA
Joined Jan 2002
151 Posts
"It needs using."

Yup! My longtime flier friends are re-powering and upgrading hardware in our long neglected older birds. Planes that haven't flown in decades are getting a whole new life with dsm, brushless and lipo technology.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:50 PM
Port Townsend, WA
Joined Jan 2002
151 Posts
Just a flying update. Was able to get in a brief outdoor flight this morning. I am pleased to report that the bitty Citabria flies wonderfully! More than enough power. Climbed realistically on about half throttle, straight and level. Flew very steady for such a wisp of a thing. The Ember/MinoiVapor power/Rx proved to be a very good combo for peanut scale at @20g. No need to go brushless. Tests were cut short regrettably because I lost rudder function on the brick. No harm to the plane, but forces me to order and replace the brick. I had ! previous signs of malfunction but thought if was transitory. Guess not. Anyway, that's what I know.

Cheers!