HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:13 AM
Registered Loon
Jeffreys Bay South Africa
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
Discussion
quad prop mold

after playing with my router for a while and trying different stuffs ive decided to have a go at making a MDF mold and pulling a part directly from there

it worked pretty well

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823592

next was trying to make some carbon propellers as the plastic ones are too flimsy and the carbon ones are very $$$

this is what i would like to make http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=183

anyways here we go
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
Last edited by Blackrat; Feb 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:20 AM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
the plan was to rough cut the mdf to shape and then vacuum bag the mold to draw the epoxy into the mold, then coat with a tooling coat of epoxy

so i layed the mdf onto a sheet of plastic to create a barrier for when i had to vacuum the epoxy .... unfortunately i machined thru this :S so the barrier was broken and i could only get around .2-.3 vacuum ... oh well so we learn

the next mistake was machining a finish cut on the same height.. i should have lifted the cut .2 mm , the mdf swells once it draws the epoxy in , thats why the molds look so blotchy

the bottom half of the mold was cut on .3 steps and the router marks are clearly visable
the top half was cut on .1 steps and im very happy with the finish ! it looks great but takes quite some time to cut
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:27 AM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
oh and a big thanks to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=183875 Nhadrian for the drawing
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:53 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
955 Posts
That is actually pretty awesome! Any photos of the finished props?
SlowBarless is online now Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:25 PM
South Africa, EC, Jeffreys Bay
Joined Dec 2010
15 Posts
You rock dude you're my Hero Can't wait for you to cut my DLG
Charlvanvuuren is offline Find More Posts by Charlvanvuuren
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:26 PM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
DLG ? pfffft once you got a quad on FPV you aint gonna touch fixed wing for a while
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:27 PM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
finished props pics coming soon
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:21 PM
What's a servo?
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
432 Posts
Have an update on these moulded props?
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:14 AM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
been so busy with other stuffs ...

anyways here a few pics

next time .. i will pre cut all the tow to the exact size ...

i think ill also take the hole nipple piece out as it makes the layup a pain, and rather just have a little dimple where to drill
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:16 AM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,301 Posts
sanded to shape

i cant remember the weight, but it was just over 6 grams each ... they still needed balancing

i did fly just the two on my quad, but i think my quad is a little big heavy for this size prop
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:38 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
955 Posts
Gotta cut all the fabric to the right size before you close the moulds. You will get a thinner seam line this way. If you havnt removed it already keep the center pin. You dont have to do the whole blade from one peice of cloth. Instead use two peices but bring them as close to the center pin as possible. Usually the prop nut tightened down on the hub will stop the hub twisting so its not necessary to run the cloth right though the hub.
SlowBarless is online now Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SlowBarless; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:21 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Looking good!

I would ditch the pin and drill a hole in the mold and insert a drill guide. Insert a plug into the drill guide during the layup. Once cured, pull the plug, drill the hole in the prop through the guide, then demold the prop. At least this is how I would do it.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:36 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
Looking good!

I would ditch the pin and drill a hole in the mold and insert a drill guide. Insert a plug into the drill guide during the layup. Once cured, pull the plug, drill the hole in the prop through the guide, then demold the prop. At least this is how I would do it.
I like your idea Adam if you have a much beefier hub but I'd be concerned with drilling through the continuous fibers on a small prop hub like this. Having the pin already in the tool gives you something to wrap the uni carbon around and if you cut your cloth right (like slowbarless mentions) then you have a pretty easy lay up. You really only need the +/-45 cloth for blade torsion so it can stop short of the center pin. The square corners can get some epoxy/cabosil/milled fibers to minimize trapped air in the corners and prevent voids in the hub.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:03 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
that makes sense, Troy
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks