HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:07 PM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2012
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post

The gimbal, which will be called the AG400-TL, is basically a variant that we are currently testing, that is based on elements of our larger AG600 gimbal.
Ah! You make the askman gimbals. I thought that belt setup looked familiar. I've actually been looking at the AG600 for my F550, but I thought it might be a bit big for just a GoPro. Good to know you're coming out with a smaller version.

Thanks for the response.
NCC1701D is offline Find More Posts by NCC1701D
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmg View Post
I work in real estate and I'm looking for something relatively cheap and easy to fly that I can get aerial video of houses with. Does this hover smoothly? I don't need to do any fancy flying, just the basics.
I've used it for multiple real estate jobs with no problems. It hovers very smoothly, and you can use the GPS mode to keep it in one spot if you want. If it's really windy you're going to get blown all over the place, but it does fine in low-moderate wind.
DJIguy is offline Find More Posts by DJIguy
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:53 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
I think it'd look better pulling that out for semi-pro work as compared to the Phantom.
Do you really think your Client has a clue of what would "LOOK" the best....? After all, the Finished shot is what you are selling...NOT the machine that takes it.....!
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJIguy View Post
I've used it for multiple real estate jobs with no problems. It hovers very smoothly, and you can use the GPS mode to keep it in one spot if you want. If it's really windy you're going to get blown all over the place, but it does fine in low-moderate wind.
Is it hard to fly in wind or is the video just really shaky?
hpmg is offline Find More Posts by hpmg
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:32 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
I havent flown one but have seen one at a local store. Judging by the size, its very small, I would expect it to struggle to fly well in the wind.
Quote:
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:23 PM
Shipped to work. Wife safe.
Canada, eh?
Joined Jan 2007
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli001 View Post
Do you really think your Client has a clue of what would "LOOK" the best....? After all, the Finished shot is what you are selling...NOT the machine that takes it.....!
Yes I do believe the look of equipments is important. Try doing photo shoots with a cell phone or a point and shoot camera. Same concept. If they think it looks like a toy, they'll think little of you.
Thai is offline Find More Posts by Thai
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Just shaky. I've flown it in pretty strong wind and it flies fine but the footage takes a lot of work to stabilize.
DJIguy is offline Find More Posts by DJIguy
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:05 PM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJIguy View Post
For that shot I was shooting 1080p/60fps
Do you have to black edition? Why not use 2.7k?
tedfordflies is offline Find More Posts by tedfordflies
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30sbound View Post
...are you really this angry, or just trolling?
I was partly trolling and partly expressing my dislike for DJI and their fanboy base for pitching their plastic, overpriced crap as "professional".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Go Pro and whatever term is the video equivalent of photoshop. All the praises are in the camera and post processing software, nothing on the Phantom itself. If the thread was about quads being able to generally create acceptable videos, i've got no problem with that, i've watched enough FPV videos to see what they can do. But when you single out the Phantom and declare it as a professional quality, you need something to back it up. What is it about the Phantom that deserves this thread? Four pages later and there's nothing so far.
I think that's the smartest thing in this thread.

I've seen people win photo competitions with pictures taken with compact cameras. And yet, they don't go around claiming that "The Canon G9 is a professional tool".
The OP and topic of this thread reek of fanboyism.
n3mo is offline Find More Posts by n3mo
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:57 PM
Learning more each day....
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
613 Posts
I'm sure others have addressed this, but just a few short years ago Hi-8 was considered "almost broadcast quality" and when DV first came out, folks were dancing in the streets and some claimed it was in the realm of broadcast quality.

MANY people today are watching videos at low def - on smartphones, etc.
Many millions still have older TV's or use streaming services which are nowhere near the resolution of a DSLR video.

Would a hollywood movie use a GoPro and Phantom for their scenes? If that's what the line is, then the answer is obviously that it is not pro.

But if we used the measurement against all of the video shot in the last 30 years averaged, you'd come up with a different story.

I remember writing and producing a pro video in the easily 90's - back then it was about $1,000 a minute for filming and editing a low-end promo video which went onto VHS. They used Betamax, which has about 350480.

In short, used properly the Phantom could surely produce video and possibly stills (with a different cam?) which could be used "professionally " (i.e. be worth money to the end user) in situations such as Real Estate, etc.

But, yeah, it's not hollywood nor HBO ready.
craigiri is offline Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:27 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
actually, I do the manufacturing and while the design is combined effort between gary and myself AG askman(andrey) and Gary

back to the topic. Professional is person not the gear. I can tell you that accomplished person can do really good stuff with non stablized gimbal.

this video was done using f450 and fixed isolation mount like one we have for phantom. (from one of our customer) no stabilization.

Imagine and Do - A Tricking/Copter Short Clip (1 min 4 sec)
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:02 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,740 Posts
What cam was that shot with Andrey?
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:10 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
it was shot with gopro and f450 with isolation mount. basically same as phantom but bit bigger. it was done with fpv instead of LOS flying.

What good gear does, is increase your success rate and envelope that you can make the shot. but it is still the person behind the shot that matters. Also, it has been my contention that using lousy gimbal is worse than no gimbal. practice, practice practice.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:13 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,740 Posts
Thanks.

It would seem to confirm the thought that a Phantom equipped with a GoPro or similar type cam can produce professional quality video.

Of course there are a bunch of variables that dictate the result.

Not certain how anyone can argue with that.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:13 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Last edited by Stacky; Feb 16, 2013 at 09:34 PM.