HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:13 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMcCoy View Post
After reading all the posts I think the title of this thread should be- ' Is Gopro professional quality? instead.
Go Pro and whatever term is the video equivalent of photoshop. All the praises are in the camera and post processing software, nothing on the Phantom itself. If the thread was about quads being able to generally create acceptable videos, i've got no problem with that, i've watched enough FPV videos to see what they can do. But when you single out the Phantom and declare it as a professional quality, you need something to back it up. What is it about the Phantom that deserves this thread? Four pages later and there's nothing so far.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Feb 15, 2013 at 03:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:19 AM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
The Professional part is in the User...NOT the equipment......

A Pro can take a POS Camera and take a great Shot while the best equipment in the World, in the hands of a Novice, will always just be......a picture....

Again, it's NOT the platform, it is the creativity, behind the person using it.....

A Pro can put the Phantom, in areas that were only dreamed about by the big Octo's......It's all about versatility.....The GoPro has been in Professional use ever simce it was designed, as that was the purpose ...To have an action Camera, that takes excellent Video and was expendible...They have strapped these things on everything from a Figure Skater to a Rocket......There is some truly unbelivable Video that these things have captured...

The Phamtom will just become another Tool in the AP Pro's bag of tricks......
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:31 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli001 View Post

A Pro can take a POS Camera and take a great Shot while the best equipment in the World, in the hands of a Novice, will always just be......a picture....

Again, it's NOT the platform, it is the creativity, behind the person using it.....

A Pro can put the Phantom, in areas that were only dreamed about by the big Octo's......It's all about versatility.....The GoPro has been in Professional use ever simce it was designed, as that was the purpose ...To have an action Camera, that takes excellent Video and was expendible...They have strapped these things on everything from a Figure Skater to a Rocket......There is some truly unbelivable Video that these things have captured...

And that relates to the Phantom how? Note that this thread is all about crediting the phantom for the shots, not the user. Any quad is already capable of that, yet they believe the Phantom is special enough for the job to make it the focus of a thread praising it as a professional platform. Is there anything it can do that will help YOU professionally that you can't get from any other off the shelf quad?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:37 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,194 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Go Pro and whatever term is the video equivalent of photoshop. All the praises are in the camera and post processing software, nothing on the Phantom itself. If the thread was about quads being able to generally create acceptable videos, i've got no problem with that, i've watched enough FPV videos to see what they can do. But when you single out the Phantom and declare it as a professional quality, you need something to back it up. What is it about the Phantom that deserves this thread? Four pages later and there's nothing so far.
Well said.
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:14 AM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Quote:
And that relates to the Phantom how? Note that this thread is all about crediting the phantom for the shots, not the user. Any quad is already capable of that, yet they believe the Phantom is special enough for the job to make it the focus of a thread praising it as a professional platform. Is there anything it can do that will help YOU professionally that you can't get from any other off the shelf quad?
Again....In the hands of a Pro....IT could be considered a Pro piece of equipment...In the hands of a novice...it is just another Quad.....

Just because a piece of equipment is rated as a Professional piece of equipment, does not mean you will get Professional results.....The Professional part is the person using it.....Is the Phantom Professional quality......? That is totally determined by the person using it and its value to his operation. It does not necessarily have to be expensive to be rated as a pro piece of equipment.

Is it a cost effective aerial platform.....? Absolutely.....!
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:30 AM
Joined Dec 2012
16 Posts
It's all about having the right tools for the right job. You don't need to be shooting 5K RAW to be a professional.

GoPros are used plenty in broadcast tv and now with the black pushing data rates up to 45mb/s in ProTune its an even more attractive option.

Sure you can get some incredible aerials with more expensive kit but if all you want is a locked off, short establishing aerial shot the Phantom will deliver.

As I say, it's all about having the right tools for the right job...

Is it professional, i.e will it earn you money, in the right circumstances I think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mo View Post
Unless you can mount a DSLR, or a pro-grade camera on it, it's a toy, period. The Phantom is, in fact, just an overpriced toy for people wanting a shortcut, a dumbed-down and uninvolved way to think they can fly multirotors.

Also, GoPro is not a professional tool. It's a good toy, but nowhere near anything that can be used for professional recording.

A custom-made octo carrying a RED Epic, operated by an experienced pilot and camera operator is "professional quality". DJI plastic frames, tiny motors and unreliable electronics are toys, or, at most, "amateur quality for noob pilots".

But, as I can see, you are either a DJI fanboy or you are commercially connected to them. I hope they at least pay you good money for advertising
PivkoBeer is offline Find More Posts by PivkoBeer
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:45 AM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2012
359 Posts
Quote:
I agree with this. And the nice thing about the Phantom for a professional is it's ready to go, and it lets the professional get to filming right away.
NCC1701D is offline Find More Posts by NCC1701D
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:06 AM
Joined Dec 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mo View Post
The fact that they worked for you doesn't prove anything, does it? Judging from a number of naza/wkm flyaways and other accidents I wouldn't call them reliable. And yes, some of them can be attributed to bad configuration, but most can't.

Which leads me to another point - is it really good that people can just jump into multirotors with minimal knowledge? When you do something potentially harmful to you and others around you, it is wise to learn about it first. My first motorbike wasn't a 1100cm^3 monster, just as my first mountain bike wasn't a custom-made Balfa DH bike.
And yet people start learning multirotors with big meat grinders, without thinking about possible consequences even once. When I hear stories about people flying their f450 from hand, above the crowd "to get some cool pics", I actually hope someone will crash one into a crowd, just so others can see the consequences.

Plus, I personally dislike lazy people always looking for a dumbed-down shortcut.
...are you really this angry, or just trolling?
30sbound is offline Find More Posts by 30sbound
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
when you single out the Phantom and declare it as a professional quality, you need something to back it up. What is it about the Phantom that deserves this thread?
This thread isn't about trying to prove the Phantom is better than anything else. Not once did I even mention any other quads. When I was shopping for a quad I was very hesitant to buy the Phantom because a lot of people were writing it off as a toy, saying that the platform was too unstable to get usable footage. I was very pleasantly surprised by how wrong those people were, and I wanted to show an example of before/after footage for those who might be thinking about buying one as well.
DJIguy is offline Find More Posts by DJIguy
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:55 AM
Joined Feb 2011
583 Posts
It's a toy.
pantherqs is offline Find More Posts by pantherqs
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:58 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PivkoBeer View Post
It's all about having the right tools for the right job. You don't need to be shooting 5K RAW to be a professional.

GoPros are used plenty in broadcast tv and now with the black pushing data rates up to 45mb/s in ProTune its an even more attractive option.

Sure you can get some incredible aerials with more expensive kit but if all you want is a locked off, short establishing aerial shot the Phantom will deliver.

As I say, it's all about having the right tools for the right job...

Is it professional, i.e will it earn you money, in the right circumstances I think so.
I totally agree with the notion of having the right tools for the job. I think the size of the Phantom makes it a very good "tool" for getting aerial shots in situations where you wouldn't want to use a larger platform, like indoors in a gymnasium, a warehouse, a concert hall/auditorium, or outside in tight quarters. With the Hero3 Black's 2.7k/30p recording mode and 45Mbs ProTune enabled, there's a lot you can do in post to create "pro-level" 1080p video without taking a quality hit like you would if you try this starting out with 1080p footage. No real "pro" is going to want to take raw footage, right from the camera, and simply edit this into a final product without doing some post processing.

The video below, while not "pro-level", does illustrate what can be be done with a H3B and fairly simple Phantom setup, which includes a tilt axis-only gimbal and a two-stage isolation system to keep the "jello" out. It was shot in the 2.7k/30p mode with ProTune enabled and the white balance set to "Raw". A Snake River Prototyping Hero3 adapter was fitted, with a 55mm 4x ND filter. During the edit process Magic Bullet Looks was used to reduce the fisheye effect and to punch up the color a bit. Mercalli 2.0 was used to remove the platform roll movements completely, and to smooth out the tilt axis gimbal corrections. If Mercalli could do as much in the tilt axis as it does for removing roll movements, we wouldn't need a gimbal at all, but since it doesn't right now, we decided to shoehorn in a tilt axis gimbal, under the landing gear footprint.

Phantom AG400 TL Tilt Axis Gimbal Test 06 (3 min 39 sec)

In any case, the video above at least demonstrates that you can get smooth, high-quality 1080p video from a small Phantom-based setup. I would definitely use something other than a Phantom, for any sort of outdoor shots like the one above, but we are testing this setup in the extremes, so the Phantom is being taken out of its "comfort" zone, and being flown high, fast, and in breezy/gusty wind conditions. It actually did quite well in these conditions. It wobbles quite a bit on descent, so I still need to play with the Naza gains, but that is about it. This setup is pretty heavy as well, at 3lb 0.3oz/1370g, but with stiff 9x4 wooden Zinger props, the motors run cool to the touch, even after multiple flights, right in a row. The heavy weight just makes it a bit trickier to get the gains dialed in. Right now I have the basic pitch and roll gains at 190, but I think they will need to go to 200.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:10 AM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2012
359 Posts
GGoodrum,

That video looks great. I take it the video window in the bottom right is before you did the software edits to stabilize?

What kind of gimbal are you using there?
NCC1701D is offline Find More Posts by NCC1701D
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:28 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
I work in real estate and I'm looking for something relatively cheap and easy to fly that I can get aerial video of houses with. Does this hover smoothly? I don't need to do any fancy flying, just the basics.
hpmg is offline Find More Posts by hpmg
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:34 PM
Shipped to work. Wife safe.
Canada, eh?
Joined Jan 2007
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmg View Post
I work in real estate and I'm looking for something relatively cheap and easy to fly that I can get aerial video of houses with. Does this hover smoothly? I don't need to do any fancy flying, just the basics.
I have a few realtor friends and plan on doing stuff for them on the side. I ended up buying the MultiWiiCopter Vampire.

I think it'd look better pulling that out for semi-pro work as compared to the Phantom.
Thai is offline Find More Posts by Thai
Last edited by Thai; Feb 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:11 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC1701D View Post
GGoodrum,

That video looks great. I take it the video window in the bottom right is before you did the software edits to stabilize?

What kind of gimbal are you using there?
Yes, the video window in the bottom right is the raw video, right out of the camera.

The gimbal, which will be called the AG400-TL, is basically a variant that we are currently testing, that is based on elements of our larger AG600 gimbal. It uses the same 2.5:1 belt drive and a high-end MKS BLS950 brushless digital servo, but in a much more compact package, in order to get it to fit within the footprint of the Phantom's LG setup.

Right now, we have the two-stage isolation part of this setup available for those who simply want a better hard-mounted GoPro setup that eliminates that pesky jello, even for the H3B's 2.7k mode, which is extremely susceptible, much more so than any other camera I've tried, or even the H3B in other recording modes, like 1080/60p. In any case, this new gimbal will be available, probably starting next week. In addition to the "full kit", as shown above, we will also offer an upgrade version for those with the existing isolation mount. We will also include an option to add a set of the 9x4 Zingers, which are a definite requirement in order to get the Phantom to lift this heavy setup.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum