SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:45 PM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2012
359 Posts
I don't think I'll ever hang a DSLR on a multirotor. I've seen some of those pro rigs selling on here for over $10,000. I imagine you'd have to already have a well-established photography/video business with a strong reputation, able to sustain clients willing to pay very high rates, in order for something like that to be worthwhile.

For fun, the DJI Phantom w/ a gopro looks excellent. And as many people have already said, lots of things on TV are shot with a gopro.

I built an F450 first, but if the DJI Phantom had been available then, I might have gone that route. It seems to be very well engineered from what I've read.
NCC1701D is offline Find More Posts by NCC1701D
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Jul 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC1701D View Post
I don't think I'll ever hang a DSLR on a multirotor. I've seen some of those pro rigs selling on here for over $10,000. I imagine you'd have to already have a well-established photography/video business with a strong reputation, able to sustain clients willing to pay very high rates, in order for something like that to be worthwhile.

For fun, the DJI Phantom w/ a gopro looks excellent. And as many people have already said, lots of things on TV are shot with a gopro.

I built an F450 first, but if the DJI Phantom had been available then, I might have gone that route. It seems to be very well engineered from what I've read.
I have an established photography/video business. I would never trust my DSLR to a multirotor. If I had a client who required and had the budget for high end aerial video I would hire a helicopter and experienced pilot.
BH flyer is offline Find More Posts by BH flyer
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:17 PM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2012
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH flyer View Post
I have an established photography/video business. I would never trust my DSLR to a multirotor. If I had a client who required and had the budget for high end aerial video I would hire a helicopter and experienced pilot.
Sounds smart.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH flyer View Post
I have an established photography/video business. I would never trust my DSLR to a multirotor
I'm in the same boat. I got the Phantom so I could learn to fly with a GoPro before I sent my DSLR up in the air. I've already had two crashes that didn't harm my GoPro, but would have killed my DSLR. Practice, practice, practice.
DJIguy is offline Find More Posts by DJIguy
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
great video! its cool to see the before and after. what settings were you using on the gopro?
tedfordflies is offline Find More Posts by tedfordflies
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Jan 2013
82 Posts
I just did my first FPV flight today. I understand now why some people put a lot of emphasis on what type of camera you should use for FPV. The quality was so poor and the reaction to light changes was so drastic that it made for a very unpleasant flight. I ran two packs through my Phantom before I decided to call it quits. I was trying to save weight by ditching the go Pro but it looks like I might have to reconsider. Maybe I'll just look around for a really nice camera. But then again, maybe it's not the camera. Maybe it's because the phantom is so poorly designed and unreliable. LOL
Flyingskwerrl is offline Find More Posts by Flyingskwerrl
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:03 PM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2012
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingskwerrl View Post
I just did my first FPV flight today. I understand now why some people put a lot of emphasis on what type of camera you should use for FPV. The quality was so poor and the reaction to light changes was so drastic that it made for a very unpleasant flight. I ran two packs through my Phantom before I decided to call it quits. I was trying to save weight by ditching the go Pro but it looks like I might have to reconsider. Maybe I'll just look around for a really nice camera. But then again, maybe it's not the camera. Maybe it's because the phantom is so poorly designed and unreliable. LOL
I don't think the Phantom was really made for FPV.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:08 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,373 Posts
Quote:
I just did my first FPV flight today. I understand now why some people put a lot of emphasis on what type of camera you should use for FPV. The quality was so poor and the reaction to light changes was so drastic that it made for a very unpleasant flight.
Go to youtube and search for RCModelReviews. He does a good job explaining and comparing FPV tech, and emphasizes on that issue each time he does a camera.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedfordflies View Post
great video! its cool to see the before and after. what settings were you using on the gopro?
For that shot I was shooting 1080p/60fps
DJIguy is offline Find More Posts by DJIguy
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:03 PM
Joined Jan 2013
82 Posts
I consider this a hobby. It's not that serious. I believe I could do what I want with my phantom( within reason). Thanks for the tip Hajile. I'll check it out for sure.
Flyingskwerrl is offline Find More Posts by Flyingskwerrl
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:17 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,062 Posts
n3mo, the 2.7k video from a Gopro is a higher resolution than any movie you own.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:25 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
n3mo, the 2.7k video from a Gopro is a higher resolution than any movie you own.
Do you agree that a DJI Phantom is in the same league as the octocopters specifically designed for aerial photography? Because the Phantom as a camera platform is this thread is about, not a go pro.

Is there anything at all about the Phantom that really does put it on the same plane? Is it better than any other quads the others here have been building as a camera platform? Is it any different from a Hoten-X that can also carry a camera? Or any quad from Hobbyking or any other store? Is it any better than any other quads with extended legs and a camera gimbal?

I'm a gadget guy and i've had a lot of fanbois shoehorning their beloved gadgets into every other job and proclaiming them as good as the real thing. Unless the OP can point out something specific to the Phantom, it's just an over enthusiastic claim from a guy excited about his new gadget.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Feb 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:04 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Is the original question comparing the phantom to an octo or is the original claim about the phantom being able to provide pro results?.

So what level of pro work are we talking about?. There is quite a wide range of pro work for multirotors and aerial photography etc. Some is high end for large companies and ad agencies or for film and tv but there is also lower end work for real estate or small business promotions.

The footage the OP posted would be very acceptable for small businesses wanting to promote their company online, local construction companies, small vineyards, building and equipment inspections etc, schools, universities etc.

So what level of pro work are you judging the Phantoms ability on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Do you agree that a DJI Phantom is in the same league as the octocopters specifically designed for aerial photography? Because the Phantom as a camera platform is this thread is about, not a go pro.

Is there anything at all about the Phantom that really does put it on the same plane? Is it better than any other quads the others here have been building as a camera platform? Is it any different from a Hoten-X that can also carry a camera? Or any quad from Hobbyking or any other store? Is it any better than any other quads with extended legs and a camera gimbal?

I'm a gadget guy and i've had a lot of fanbois shoehorning their beloved gadgets into every other job and proclaiming them as good as the real thing. Unless the OP can point out something specific to the Phantom, it's just an over enthusiastic claim from a guy excited about his new gadget.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:52 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Quote:
A good camera is a MUST. I've found that my HoryzonHD which works much like a GoPro, has a fairly poor video output. It works, but a dedicated FPV cam is better. And this has nothing to do with the multi itself.

This is the one I recommend, I use it on my TBS Discovery and my planes. It handles colour and light very well, you can fly into sunlight and still see the ground and sky clearly. The camera has never let me down and it's cheaper now than before, 45 dollars or so. Fantastic deal if you ask me. The Phantom can handle it, just use the GoPro for recording and this for flying. Keep in mind that the camera needs to be fed with 12v, so if you use the ImmersionRC stuff you'll need to bypass the 5v output of that video transmitter and feed the camera with 12v.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdqsClsJyUU
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:54 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,216 Posts
After reading all the posts I think the title of this thread should be- ' Is Gopro professional quality? instead.
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FlyingMcCoy; Feb 15, 2013 at 04:05 AM.