HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:29 AM
Joined Feb 2012
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
I don't think it was ever advertised as a professional platform, it's perfect for beginners and those that want to record some aerial shots with a GoPro camera.

Also, in case people have missed this.. GoPro cameras are frequently used in productions out there because they are cheap, durable and the video quality isn't bad at all. (You'll see them all over the place in shows like Mythbusters) I don't think having a DSLR cam is a requirement for "pro" work.

Still, Phantom is great for those wanting to get a taste of what multirotor flying is like.
If youve ever watched Jerry Seinfelds Comedians in Cars Going for Coffee you see plenty of GoPro usage in the production of that show. Jerry Seinfeld is as professional as it gets.
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:35 AM
Joined Feb 2012
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
A common misconception is that "professional" is just about video quality. It's not.
It's about being able to deliver the type of shot the costumer wants, when he wants it. For this you need a flexible robust solution that works every time, that can be operated under non ideal conditions and still produce acceptable results.
A true professional could not care less about the price of the tool (within reason). Predictable results is all that counts.
This is an massively overlooked fact, professional does mean able to do paid work and being paid to do this kind of work is alot of the time word of mouth advertising you get from being really good at getting the shots that are being asked of you. For that to happen you need to get those shots and for that you do need a robust reliable versatile machine and you need more than just one of them for redundancy the DJI Phantom cant cut it.

Its like I try and tell people who look at the multirotor and instantly see dollar signs as in income I tell them that a AP business is not a business you start up because you need the money, its one you start up because you dont need the money and and you in fact have money to spare.
Steve34 is offline Find More Posts by Steve34
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:47 AM
Joined Jul 2012
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mo View Post
The fact that they worked for you doesn't prove anything, does it? Judging from a number of naza/wkm flyaways and other accidents I wouldn't call them reliable. And yes, some of them can be attributed to bad configuration, but most can't.

Which leads me to another point - is it really good that people can just jump into multirotors with minimal knowledge? When you do something potentially harmful to you and others around you, it is wise to learn about it first. My first motorbike wasn't a 1100cm^3 monster, just as my first mountain bike wasn't a custom-made Balfa DH bike.
And yet people start learning multirotors with big meat grinders, without thinking about possible consequences even once. When I hear stories about people flying their f450 from hand, above the crowd "to get some cool pics", I actually hope someone will crash one into a crowd, just so others can see the consequences.

Plus, I personally dislike lazy people always looking for a dumbed-down shortcut.
"So many drama queens in this thread... No offence guys, but I'd rather take a 1kg multi to the head than a 2000kg car driven by a drunk driver. My point is, everything is dangerous. Cars, knives, guns, soap. Hundreds of people die slipping under their shower, falling down the stairs, choking on a hamburger. Hundreds of thousands die in car accidents. Your hand slips on a steering wheel, or you look at the watch one second too long and bam, you're a childkiller." - n3mo Sound familiar?
BH flyer is offline Find More Posts by BH flyer
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:05 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
In this thread? Pfft, that's RCGroups for you. The multirotor and FPV forums are full of people that are beyond paranoid and don't trust any equipment sold by anyone, ever.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:13 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,977 Posts
It's not the equipment i'm worried about, the odds of a malfunction is the same regardless of who flies it. Let me put it this way. If you were to give a v911 to a newbie and tell him to fly over a crowd, what are the odds of him hitting someone?

Or have you guys been flying for so long, that you've forgotten what it's actually like for newbie starting out with a supposedly overstabilized and uncrashable 4channel heli.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Feb 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:16 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I have yet to see someone actually like, maiden a DJI Phantom or any kind of quad and then proceed to fly over a crowd 5 mins later. :P Whoever does that is just asking for trouble. Not going to deny that.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:29 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,977 Posts
Go pro helicopter, DJI Phantom GoPro Aerial Rig (3 min 40 sec)

It's ok to hit people with it, the blades will not hurt you.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:41 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I wouldn't touch those props... Small fixed pitch helis, yes. AR.Drone, won't cut you. Props on a direct-drive brushless 22-sized motor? Yeowch.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:44 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
This TV advert was shot using a gopro1 for about 1/5th of the shots, how do I know?, I was there. This was close to a $1 million budget advert for Mountain Dew.

Skate Pinball (0 min 30 sec)

You will find that all television stations, film companies and DoP's have gopros in their arsenal of gear. Saying a gopro isnt a professional tool is simply incorrect.

Also there are more markets for work other than tv or film and people shooting for local real estate agencies or local small business whilst not working at the high end are still doing pro work if they are being paid. Snobbery is pretty funny.

Quote:
Unless you can mount a DSLR, or a pro-grade camera on it, it's a toy, period. The Phantom is, in fact, just an overpriced toy for people wanting a shortcut, a dumbed-down and uninvolved way to think they can fly multirotors.

A custom-made octo carrying a RED Epic, operated by an experienced pilot and camera operator is "professional quality". DJI plastic frames, tiny motors and unreliable electronics are toys, or, at most, "amateur quality for noob pilots".

But, as I can see, you are either a DJI fanboy or you are commercially connected to them. I hope they at least pay you good money for advertising
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Nov 2012
117 Posts
[QUOTE=n3mo;24133354Plus, I personally dislike lazy people always looking for a dumbed-down shortcut.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you do realize that describes about 60% of the people online here and perhaps 75% of the planet? I am not so sure I could even get out of bed to face another day if I had a personal dislike for everyone on the planet who was looking for a dumbed down shortcut for some aspect of their lives. Please don't hate me just because I use the 1040EZ instead of the long form.......
VytasandRio is offline Find More Posts by VytasandRio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:45 PM
LOAD "FLIP360FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,889 Posts
Quote:
Unless you can mount a DSLR, or a pro-grade camera on it, it's a toy, period. The Phantom is, in fact, just an overpriced toy for people wanting a shortcut, a dumbed-down and uninvolved way to think they can fly multirotors.
Sounds like a bunch of chest pounding to me. You do realize that there is a TON of professional (i.e. someone gets paid for it) video all over the television, everything from top shot to top chef, done with a gopro RIGHT?
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:47 PM
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
2,792 Posts
Ha ha! Hes on this forum Colinguinn, hes the ceo of dji america or something. Need some of those no pain props! Great flying!
ecks is online now Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
82 Posts
My cheap Phantom unreliably let's me have fun 100% of the time.
Flyingskwerrl is offline Find More Posts by Flyingskwerrl
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:24 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH flyer View Post
In the right hands, with steps taken to achieve stable smooth video, the Phantom can provide perfectly acceptable video for some professional applications.
I guess this was the point I was trying to prove with the video. I am a filmmaker, and I got the Phantom so I could offer aerial shots to my clients. I don't plan on winning any Oscars with Phantom footage, but the quad does fly smoothly and reliably enough that I can offer it as a service to my clients.
DJIguy is offline Find More Posts by DJIguy
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
The Phantom is, in fact, just an overpriced toy for people wanting a shortcut, a dumbed-down and uninvolved way to think they can fly multirotors
...or for filmmakers who want a simple, low cost way to get supplemental shots for clients
DJIguy is offline Find More Posts by DJIguy