http://www.superiorflux.com/superior...ring_flux.html
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:50 AM
A Snickering Hound
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
Thanks so much to everyone for all the great information. I can see a couple of mistakes I've been making right off the bat, the biggest one probably using a much smaller tip than the job requires.

Soldering is such a key skill for this hobby and these suggestions will certainly help take my mine to the next level.

Thanks again!
Muddie is offline Find More Posts by Muddie
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:37 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I've been using this easy clean stuff:
http://www.superiorflux.com/superior...ring_flux.html
Hey grim,

Just a heads-up that you need to be extremely careful with how you use Superior No. 30 as it's an organic acid flux and will make a mess of things if it's not 100% removed post-soldering. It's great for circuit cards and such that are then thoroughly cleaned in a hot aqueous solution. However, No. 30 is horrible for soldering stranded wire as it has a tendency to capillary up the strands under the insulation and is then next to impossible to remove. As it's an organic acid, it will then continue to eat through the wire under the insulation adjacent the solder joint and the wire will eventually break. I have witnessed precisely this on several occasions. The ugliest part is that the degradation cannot be seen since it's under the insulation and takes several years before it manifests a failure.

The best flux for soldering stranded wire is RMA rosin flux as it is plenty active and is still safe for stranded wire. I prefer to use rosin cored solder wire and avoid external flux application altogether. My favorite solder of all time is Kester #44. It's my gold standard.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:11 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,357 Posts
I knew someone would probably chime in and tell me my choice of flux was wrong. I don't use it much since most of my battery connections are now all APPs. On the other hand if it takes several years to manifest as a failure that means the airplane has to last that long first

The other challenge I've had is finding places to buy electronics grade flux. All you'll find at your local hardware store is stuff for pipe and says right on it not for electronic use.

Mark is the Kester #44 you use the 60/40 or the 63/37?
Last edited by grimbeaver; Feb 14, 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:58 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Mark is the Kester #44 you use the 60/40 or the 63/37?
I always buy SN63 eutectic but would have no issue with SN60 and view them as interchangeable. Melting point is very slightly higher with SN60 but one would be hard-pressed to notice any difference when soldering.

BTW, eBay and Radio Shack are good places to buy flux if you cannot find rosin based flux at a local supplier.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:18 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,357 Posts
Last time I went into a RadioShack most of the electronics stuff had all but disappeared so I never really think to go there. Though those kinds of things might be making a comeback since they started carrying microcontroller stuff.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:29 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,760 Posts
The several by my house/drive to work all carry both that I linked above and several quantities (oz sizes) at that.
They seem to never die for some reason.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:24 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,968 Posts
I've used the Radio Shack solder and agree that it's really good stuff. As I don't particularly like driving all around LA, I typically buy most of my supplies online. My last 1lb. roll of .031" Kester 44 came from eBay and was quite a bit cheaper than my local Frys Electronics for the exact same stuff. I've also used Almit KR-19 and Alpha Reliacore solders in the past but Kester 44 is my favorite.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:27 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,641 Posts
I use Kester 63/37 myself. I like it better than 60/40.

I get my soldering supplies from here:

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/

For small quantities you may want to try here (I haven't ordered from them myself):

http://store.curiousinventor.com/soldering.html
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:49 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,364 Posts
I use :

Standard 1/4" chisel tip 40W iron
Rosin core solder - from local DIY shop on a reel

No trouble - as others say - clean tip, touch of solder on tip to help transfer heat to wire ... feed in solder to point where iron and wire meet ...

I prefer wire to be at a 45 degree angle UP ... so solder flows into the strands .... I don't like vertical as then solder tends to flow too quickly into strands and into area covered by insulation ... horizontal means I have to feed solder along it and can end up with the 'drip' lump !

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:34 AM
BVH
United States, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Dec 2006
248 Posts
If you get into 8 AWG or larger, try buying and using one of the micro butane torches available at the big box stores. You can really dial down the tiny flame and do an excellent job of soldering the larger wires without burning the insulation once you get the hang of it. And of course, as many have said, use plenty of liquid flux on the fitting and wire. I use a needle tip bottle to apply liquid flux on the fitting and wire, then tin both pieces then do the final soldering.
BVH is offline Find More Posts by BVH
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:05 AM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
This video is has some pretty good soldering techniques.

How to Solder Bullet Connectors By Innov8tive Designs (13 min 30 sec)
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:02 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2006
505 Posts
Forget Soldering, I got so sick of my stupid deans, melting and failing. Cost me a couple of planes.

I only use Powerpole connectors... Went to those and never looked back..

I will never solder again!!!!

Installing 45A Anderson Powerpole connectors for RC applications (4 min 49 sec)

www.powerwerx.com/
stvinvegas is online now Find More Posts by stvinvegas
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:29 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
That's all well and good but the largest I see is 45A. Anyone running 100A with these?
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:34 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given View Post
That's all well and good but the largest I see is 45A. Anyone running 100A with these?
Powerpole connectors are available in sizes up to 180A. They are quite large though.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic