HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:31 PM
United States, FL, Keystone Heights
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Question
Foam Repair and Paint on SU-27

Hello, I am new to this site and RC community. So far this site has been great and the community is really helpful. So with that said I am going to ask for some opinions and some advice about my newly accuired Art Tech SU-27. I bought it from a guy that had crashed it and it was a wreck. The wing was broke, the cockpit was broke off and the wiring was terrible. But I have managed to get it put back together in one piece and get the wiring back to normal. I did get to fly it and it flies great. It has upgraded motors and feels like it has plenty on power

I epoxied the plane and have found that the epoxy has left some areas with cracks in them. I have heard that you could use Gorilla Glue as a filler on them to fix that problem, but I figured I would see what you all had to say about it.

Also, I was curious to find out what anyone thought about the type of paint I should use. Is H2O spray can paint ok on the foam or should I be using something else?
cmdx1 is offline Find More Posts by cmdx1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:38 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,468 Posts
G'day,

I've done a little how-to. It includes tips on fibreglassing, but also foamy finishing. Hope it's helpful.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1544677

Cheers,

Dan.
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:04 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
cmdx1,

I believe that model is molded from EPS. ( EPO is the more flexible rubbery stuff.)
EPS is better to work with when repairing or modifying, as it sands and grinds well.
When it comes to CA glue...use only foam safe CA on EPO

Gorrila glue (use the white stuff) is great for repairs on foam (EPO or EPS).
Water will cause it to foam up and expand during curing. It be comes light and airy like the foam it's self.
Spray the crack with water, the squeeze a SMALL amount of it into the cracks. Then sprtiz it again. Be care to watch it as it cures, because it expands A LOT !
After it's cured, it's pretty hard, you can block sand it, or better yet, grind it with your dremel to just below the surface.
Then fill the shallow depression you made with "ultra light SPACKLE" from the hardware store. Mix the SPACKLE with water until it's the consistency of heavy cream and dab it on with stick. let it dry dry overnight.
You can now sand, prime and repaint.

Krylon H20 works fine on foam. It's a bit heavy, but the primer is great if you can still find it.
Tamiya Spray paint for plastics will also not hurt the foam.
Bamboo BBQ spears are good for reinforcing the repaired joint (for big breaks

Here's my crashed EPS jet, after being repaired with a combination or CA, and Gorilla Glue.
Not the prettiest job, as it was my first attempt at repairing.

Good luck with your repair.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Feb 14, 2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: added text
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Here's little more info.......

Be sure to thin the spackle. Dab it on with a stick or even your finger while that surface is laying horizontal. Make sure it's a little above the surface when your done, as it will shrink as it will shrink as the water evaporates. Then you can it down to the surface with 100 grit paper. Use a small (3/4" x 1" x 2")block of wood with sandpaper wrapped around it. Wrap the sandpaper around a Magic Marker or wooden dowel for compound, concave surfaces.

Have fun, Gary
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Here is my update on my SU-27. I got lots of great advice from everyone on this site. Thanks by the way! I ended up using ultra light weight spackle as a filler for ruff spots. Also, I got some of the krylon h2o paint, but I was not crazy about the way it turned out. So, instead I used the tester's paint brand. Here's some pics!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Pis
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:06 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,468 Posts
Looks like it's brand new. Good job!
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:52 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Nice repair work. It look better than the original.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014