HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Nitro_Nancy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:11 PM
Nitro_Nancy's Avatar
United States, CA, Industry
Joined Jan 2011
589 Posts
Mini-HowTo
How to Install LEDs on a Lady Bird

Hey Guys! Bobby Gens Ace did a quick tutorial of how to install LEDs on our hottest selling Lady Bird. Enjoy!

Tools Needed:
[

Step 1:
  • Cut the Leds about 3/4th the length of the wire.
  • Use the wire stripper to remove 1cm of rubber wire protector at 50mm gauge on both Leds and remainder of connector to allow for soldering. (Keep one of the Micro Molex Connectors)
  • Solder Led 1 red wiring to Led 2 red wiring. Repeat process for Led 1 white wiring and Led 2 white wiring.
  • Once soldered and cooled, cut a piece of heat shrink and wrap it around Micro Connector wiring prior to soldering.
  • Next solder the soldered Led1 and Led 2 Red wiring to the Micro Connector Red wiring and repeat process for the white wiring.
  • Finally wrap the heat shrink around the open remaining wiring and apply heat for a tight fit.

Step 2:
  • Solder Led 1 red wiring to Led 2 red wiring.
  • Repeat process for Led 1 white wiring and Led 2 white wiring.
  • Once soldered and cooled, cut a piece of heat shrink and wrap it around Micro Connector wiring prior to soldering.
  • Next solder the soldered Led 1 and Led 2 Red wiring to the Micro Connector Red wiring and repeat process for the white wiring.
  • Finally wrap the heat shrink around the open remaining wiring and apply heat for a tight fit.

Step 3:
  • Use the reamer to apply holes to the front of the canopy of the Lady bird.
  • Make sure to test the fitting of the Led while creating the holes to measure a tight fit.

Step 4:

  • Fit Leds in to “eye” openings in the front of the Lady Bird canopy.

Step 5:
  • Take Micro Connector and plug it into the bind plug for power source (Note the orientation of the plug circled in the picture below)
  • *Make sure the ladybird has already been initialized to the transmitter then proceed to plug the lights in. Failure to do so will result in failed initialization of ladybird to transmitter.

Step 6:


Plug in battery and enjoy the Leds for a cool new look!

Purchase the Lady Bird here:
http://bit.ly/XrBd78
Nitro_Nancy is offline Find More Posts by Nitro_Nancy
Site Sponsor
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:38 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
Hi! Thanks for the great instructions! I have a couple of quick questions. First, where did you find that great "baby Hoten-X" canopy for the Ladybird? We all have the frowning ladybug canopy. Second, where did you get those LEDs and what voltage are they? I'm thinking of using some LEDs from a flashlight that used 3 AAA batteries thinking that 3 x 1.5 = 4.5 volts which should be about right for the Ladybird's system. With your setup, can you turn the LEDs on and off from the transmitter? What if you used the "camera" connector right next to the bind connector? I have a Devo 7 transmitter. Today I tested the voltage on the camera connector. The middle pin is always hot, the edge pins seem to be ground. I'd like to control the LEDs using my "gear" switch. My settings on the Devo 7 are Gear > Gear, Active. But, with the gear switch in either position, the middle pin was hot.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or commets!
GRGanjei is offline Find More Posts by GRGanjei
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:03 PM
Nitro_Nancy's Avatar
United States, CA, Industry
Joined Jan 2011
589 Posts
Hey GRganjei,
We don't have any spare canopies available on the site. You would have to repurchase the ladybird with that given canopy (http://www.xheli.com/walkeraheli-lad...-oem-blue.html). As for the LED lights, you can pick them up at any local hobby shop or google it. The voltage should be 4.8v-6v. I asked our techs about the transmitter they said if you can assign the camera to gear on the board or transmitter then it should work.




Quote:
Originally Posted by GRGanjei View Post
Hi! Thanks for the great instructions! I have a couple of quick questions. First, where did you find that great "baby Hoten-X" canopy for the Ladybird? We all have the frowning ladybug canopy. Second, where did you get those LEDs and what voltage are they? I'm thinking of using some LEDs from a flashlight that used 3 AAA batteries thinking that 3 x 1.5 = 4.5 volts which should be about right for the Ladybird's system. With your setup, can you turn the LEDs on and off from the transmitter? What if you used the "camera" connector right next to the bind connector? I have a Devo 7 transmitter. Today I tested the voltage on the camera connector. The middle pin is always hot, the edge pins seem to be ground. I'd like to control the LEDs using my "gear" switch. My settings on the Devo 7 are Gear > Gear, Active. But, with the gear switch in either position, the middle pin was hot.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or commets!
Nitro_Nancy is offline Find More Posts by Nitro_Nancy
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:49 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
LEDs for Ladybird - voltage & turning on & off?

Hi Nitro_Nancy! Thank you for your reply! I found some 3 mm LEDs that are rated for 5-12V on ebay with wires attached. I think a 1S battery like in the Ladybird only puts out 3.2 - 4.2 volts. Do you think that is enough voltage to light up these LEDs?

It looks like you have the Ladybird v2. I have the v1 which has the extra "camera" connector next to the bind plug connector. I'm still trying to figure out what setting would turn power to that port off and on. So far, that port seems to always be "hot."

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro_Nancy View Post
Hey GRganjei,
We don't have any spare canopies available on the site. You would have to repurchase the ladybird with that given canopy (http://www.xheli.com/walkeraheli-lad...-oem-blue.html). As for the LED lights, you can pick them up at any local hobby shop or google it. The voltage should be 4.8v-6v. I asked our techs about the transmitter they said if you can assign the camera to gear on the board or transmitter then it should work.
GRGanjei is offline Find More Posts by GRGanjei
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
65 Posts
Hi,

thanks a lot for the great post.

Could you maybe exactly specify the parts used ? As in technical, which Brand, make, type, etc. ?

I just can't seem to find a matching JST connector to start with. Is there like an exact type description such as JST xyz123/4 ?

That would be really cool 1

Thanks a lot
Frank
Frank183 is offline Find More Posts by Frank183
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:42 AM
Registered User
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2013
12 Posts
Do you need a 3-pin micro connector? I have lots of the 2-pin kind. Also have a Ladybird V1 so there are two of those 3-pin slots--not sure about orientation...

If you do need the 3-pin connector, can you give a name/model #?

Thanks!
ajg23 is offline Find More Posts by ajg23
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2013, 02:30 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg23 View Post
Do you need a 3-pin micro connector? I have lots of the 2-pin kind. Also have a Ladybird V1 so there are two of those 3-pin slots--not sure about orientation...

If you do need the 3-pin connector, can you give a name/model #?

Thanks!
Hey, thanks a lot for your reply. By now I have soldered the cables for the LEDs directly to the power supply of the board (to the backside actually), works very nicely. Kills 2 minutes of flight but gives awesome great orientation.

About micro connectors: this appears to me to be a big mess. No standardization at all and I don't even know where to get them.

Best regards
Frank
Frank183 is offline Find More Posts by Frank183
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question LED Light Installation w/ DJI F550 - How To? Rare Bear Multirotor Talk 40 Aug 03, 2014 12:09 AM
Sold Walkera Lady bird v1 RTF devo 7 battlekat Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 6 Feb 11, 2013 03:01 PM
Discussion How do i install ailerons? DonaldM164 Electric Plane Talk 15 Jan 14, 2013 12:10 PM
Discussion Soph Lady wing work on a Gentle Lady fuse?? overmyhead Sailplane Talk 10 Jan 12, 2013 02:31 PM
Question I want to install LED's on my CX..how? UflyIfx Coaxial Helicopters 7 Jan 23, 2007 09:38 PM