HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:37 PM
Miami Fl
Joined Feb 2011
176 Posts
Discussion
losi ten scte gearing / mamba max pro on 2s

Hi i am planning on gearing my truck but just trying to get the concept on hiw motor temps change when gearing the motor. I hear that if you increase the pinion gear tooth count it will make more torque anD opposite for the spur gear if you increase the teeth it will decrease torque? Hiw exactly foes this work i want a general good top end and good torque? Anyone using a 48t spur instead of the stock 40t? Whats a good gearing to start with for track
flysohigh is offline Find More Posts by flysohigh
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:57 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,367 Posts
Gearing will depend on the track. You need to find out the final gear ratio It should be in the manual. Here is a little thing that might help.http://gearing.rcgearhead.com/Gearing/Browse There is always a trade off when it comes to gearing. Top speed or acceleration. You can tune that truck with different fluids in the diffs for traction. You have three diffs in that car you have to find the right gear combo that will work. Experimentation and lots of notes will help. Tire sizes will affect the final gear ratio. If your running the car to hard the temps will rise make small changes. The final drive ratio that has the speed your looking for and a cool motor is what your striving for.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:07 PM
Miami Fl
Joined Feb 2011
176 Posts
I am running 7r 5c 3f diff fluid i had the stock motor that came with the truck and speed controller but I have sold it so I am now looking to get another motor but don't want to rush I want to make sure I get the right motor but I want somebody who is already have had the motor and knows a good gear ratio for all around good top speed and torque
flysohigh is offline Find More Posts by flysohigh
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:15 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,367 Posts
Check at the track That will be the best solution. See what the fast guy's are running and ask them.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:35 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,125 Posts
Triple posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post

Short answer:

- lower pinion gear teeth count means more torque/acceleration, less top speed, less motor heat
(Increasing spur gear count has the same effect)

- higher pinion gear teeth count means less torque/acceleration, more top speed, more motor heat
(decreasing spur gear count has the same effect)
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Feb 14, 2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:54 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,793 Posts
Holy multiple threads... why start three threads for the same thing? You now have two with good info spread apart instead of in one concise place.

As I said in the other thread, you've swapped in a slightly lower kv motor with more torque than the stock motor so run it on the stock size pinion/spur (get the stock tooth count in a 5mm bore for the motor) to see how it runs.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons