SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2001, 12:25 AM
An Original!
Joined Aug 2001
955 Posts
Best hinge tape for a Zagi

Well it was only a week after reading the thread about guys having the hinge tape coming loose on thier Zagis. I checked mine. Seemed Ok. Sure enough, I was flying (in front of some very impressed ic guys) I was doing loops, rolls and dives having a great time. Then it started handling a little funny. Pretty soon it wouldn't do anything I would tell it to do. Finally took a big loop straight into the mud (just past the turf where they had taken up the grass). I fly at a sod farm. No harm done. Just had some clean up to do.

So my question is what does every one like to use for Zagi hinge tape. I have my favorite stuff for different kinds of gliders but thought I might ask some Zagi Gurus.

Gliderguy
Gliderguy is offline Find More Posts by Gliderguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2001, 03:22 AM
Boulder, CO
Joined Sep 2001
72 Posts
hrm

I am assuming that it is coming off of your elevons, because the stock hinge tape sticks incredibly well to the stock covering tape.

After shattering my stock elevon in a crash, I cut new ones from balsa and decided that the tape (new stock tape) would stick better if I didn't paint the new elevons. I just put some 3M-77 on the leading edge like before and the tape sticks great to the unpainted surface.

If looks aren't critical, don't paint your elevons and it should help a lot.

--eric
Gospadin is offline Find More Posts by Gospadin
Old Nov 24, 2001, 06:55 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,067 Posts
I use the Graupner Hinge Tape sold at Hobby Lobby.

It is thin, strong, light, and extra sticky.

If you plan on doing plenty of aerobatic maneuvers, try the tape "weave" method mentioned in my old Electrifying the Mongo Jr. article.

Good luck!
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Nov 24, 2001, 07:52 AM
Newton, Ks., USA
Joined May 2001
83 Posts
hinge tape

My elevons came off last winter. Temperature in the 20s. One of them popped loose when I was on the downward side of a loop. Very entertaining crash (for the spectators).

I covered both elevons with the same tape used on the body of the wing. To attach them to the wing I used another strip on the bottom of the hinge point and one on the top. A little bit stiff at first but nice and loose after a little tuning.

Now I have another year on that poor ugly chunk of foam and still flying.

------------------
It's not fun until somebody looses an eye.
die fleidermaus is offline Find More Posts by die fleidermaus
Old Nov 24, 2001, 10:28 AM
Pacific Models
Vancouver, BC
Joined Dec 2000
122 Posts
Hinge tape

I have build at least dozen lookalike "Zagi" type flying wings. All of my have Coroplast 4 mm Elevons and Winglets attached with the same tape we are using for covering the foam. My original wing has over 300 flights and still perfect. Also I use carbon 1/4 " rod 20 " long on the bottom of wing and 2 strips on top and bottom of fiberglass 3/4 " tape tip to tip.
We have abused this setup a lot to prove it and it does work well.
If anybody is interested e-mail me.
John

John@Mrazek.net
Avro is offline Find More Posts by Avro
Old Nov 24, 2001, 06:01 PM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
I use "Crystal Clear" tape from the office/school supply section at Wal-Mart to attach the elevons on both my 450 Turbo Zagi and on my son's Zagi. That stuff works great; much better than other clear tape that I've tried.

I do cover my elevons with colored tape after a VERY light coating of M77 spray. It makes them much less likely to crack in a crash or during combat. As my son proved today with a high speed, nose-first impact with terra firma, you'll bend the control rods first before cracking elevons reinforced this way.
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old Nov 24, 2001, 07:29 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Strapping tape with the over-under weave. I posted the picture in another thread and Craig mentioned his article which has it as well. It simply doesn't fail.
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
Old Nov 24, 2001, 08:49 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mtayl
Strapping tape with the over-under weave. It simply doesn't fail.
Ditto.

All my foamies and coroplastic planes get this type of hinge.
It doesn't fail.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A