HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2003, 09:16 PM
Miami, FL, USA
Joined Sep 2001
200 Posts
So what am I doing wrong ? NiMH

Hi, Everyone,

So I ask, what am I doing wrong with these darn NiMH batteries? It seems that my sucess rate is at about 50% when it comes to getting these type battery packs to work. For example, I recently recieved two new packs of 8 cell, 650mah kan and slow charged them @50mah 13 hours, tried them out, one pack worked well and the other didn't. Did the same process again, with the same results, pack A held the charge, and pack B didn't. Tried it once more, same results. Mind you, this isn't the first time I've had this problem with NiMH. I had the same problem with a couple of packs of 8 cell 950 kan.

Please advise.

All the best and may everyone have a Happy and Safe New Year.

Angelo
AstroNut is offline Find More Posts by AstroNut
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2003, 10:51 PM
but it's a nice obsession
Sandy, Utah
Joined Apr 2003
1,049 Posts
Sounds like you better send pack B back for a replacement - that's bad luck. We have eight CBP650 packs (same as KAN) and they all worked fine right off the first charge. Jon
jgmtens is offline Find More Posts by jgmtens
Old Dec 28, 2003, 11:11 PM
nevada,las vegas
Joined Jun 2003
53 Posts
check pack voltage on pack B if below 8 volts you possibly have a dead cell.
hope this helps
~johnboy~
daddy/ben is offline Find More Posts by daddy/ben
Old Dec 28, 2003, 11:33 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
hello

the last packs i got ..... i had to charge fully - then completely discharge three times before they got up to a long lasting flight.
i have heard before .... when they are new, they need a few cycles to get really good.
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Old Dec 29, 2003, 02:24 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
You're not really charging them for anywhere near long enough. Slow charging is inefficient, if you want 650mAh out you have to put around 50% more in e.g. 1000mAh. If you charge at 50mA you need something like 18-20 hours for a full charge.

Charge them fully a couple of times and see how they go.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Dec 29, 2003, 08:18 AM
Miami, FL, USA
Joined Sep 2001
200 Posts
Thanks everyone for the quick feedback. I'll look into each one and hope for the best.

Take care everyone and Happy New Year!!!!
AstroNut is offline Find More Posts by AstroNut
Old Dec 29, 2003, 09:38 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,234 Posts
I just bought a 7 cell pack of 300 mAh NiMH's from E-flight and have cycled them at least 20 times and can't get them over 225. The LOH is not interested in making good on my problem, tells me to e-mail Horizon. What a bunch of crap that is. Make one want to start his own hobby shop.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:51 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
goldguy,

That's Horizon's policy. End user has problems, the LHS is suppsed to tell them to contact Horizon directly. It's one of the few things large distributors do to help out struggling local shops. Most shops can't afford to order two of everything just in case, so they'd have to send it back to Horizon on your behalf anyway. It would take longer to go through the local shop for a replacement, plus the hobby shop ends up spending what little profit they made on your sale to send the item back. On top of that, Horizon gives them a hard time when they do send back defective products.

Don't blame the shop owner.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:44 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,234 Posts
Yes, I guess your right about the hobby shop getting stuck in the middle. Anyhow, how would the LOH owner know what someone did to something electrial and in the case of batteries, did the customer charge them properly. Auto parts suppliers allow no returns on anything electrical once installed.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:50 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,234 Posts
Forgot to mention..........I have a Super Nova, that's not so super, it doesn't like NiMH batteries. I took that 300 mAh pack to a friend and cycled it on his charger, got 310 mAh into it on the first charge.

I've switched over to using my Peak 400, which works flawless and will return my Super Nova to FMA.

I contacted FMA some time ago and was told to return it, they would replace all the switches and give it a dust and clean. I'm glad I waited, as now the new version will charge Lipo's as well. I'll see if my old one can be up-dated, with a new board or whatever. Now that would be great.

So, after all was said and done, it wasn't the batteries that were at fault. I'll make sure I inform the LHS as he has more invertory of those batteries, heck I may buy another pack.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 29, 2003 at 10:59 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 02:13 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
My SuperNova charges just fine, but the cutoff of 0.9V/cell sometimes means that small NiMH don't show a very high capacity on discharge. On a 1C discharge, they usually show full capacity.
So I worry less about what the discharge capacity is and just check that it doesn't deteriorate over time.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53