HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2003, 10:02 PM
"Kneel before Zod!"
Tacoma, WA. USA
Joined Dec 2003
490 Posts
Help!
Is there such a thing as an EDF Concorde?

Has anyone heard of an EDF Concorde kit or conversion available anywhere? Propellers on a jet just doesn't seem right to me.
turbovector is offline Find More Posts by turbovector
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2003, 11:50 PM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Apr 2002
923 Posts
Have you considered converting the Robbe Concorde?
aau007 is offline Find More Posts by aau007
Old Dec 29, 2003, 02:31 AM
"Kneel before Zod!"
Tacoma, WA. USA
Joined Dec 2003
490 Posts
Yes, I have considered the possibility of 4 micro fans tucked into custom nacelles. Maybe even just modifying the stock ones if I can match the thrust/weight ratio with small enough fans. Any ideas on fan units that might do the job? Also, where can I find a Robbe Concorde stateside?
turbovector is offline Find More Posts by turbovector
Old Dec 29, 2003, 03:08 AM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Apr 2002
923 Posts
I will answer the simple one first: You can get the Concorde at
http://robbeusa.com/xcart/customer/h...be1403934b8b56 and look toward the bottom of the page. It is now on sale for about $110. I have seen them put the Concorde on ebay but forgot the ending price.

Now the toughy. The Robbe Concorde comes with 2 sp400 motors. I suppose you can use the Vasa400 fan with nacelle and put 2 Mega 16/15/3 and this thing would scream but won't look too scaled. The 2 Megas can be controller via a single Kontronik controller. The Vasa300 fan with nacelle and Hacker B20-15L may also work but I don't know which ESC can control two B20 without problem.
aau007 is offline Find More Posts by aau007
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:51 AM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
Dymond has them for 99.00
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM
Old Dec 29, 2003, 12:00 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,605 Posts
Sure there are EDF Concordes out there. In 1996 or 7 maybe, Electric Flight International magazine did a series on Chris Gold's Concorde that used Nicads and EDF units. It was built up, and built very light I believe even with the retracts and scale swing nose. It flew, but it was quite heavy after the Nicads had their way. This was right about the time Chris Gold was getting into EDF and had recently finished a couple early attempt B-52's that were also chronicled in the mag. Too bad he doesn't like computers, if he was a regular on the Ezone it would be a real bit of "old hand" guidance just when the masses are starting to flock to this segment.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2003, 12:54 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,232 Posts
Chris has certainly been an inspiration.
I almost cried when I read about the loss of the super scale B52. He put so much work in to that thing. I can't even imagine.

I think his Concorde was close. You know how much drag a plane like that has at low speeds. With a little more power or less weight, the thing may have been transformed.

So you know what you're up against with a delta...
A friend of mine flew F-106's for the USAF. He said they could slow way down and get a sink rate so great that full burner (listed as 24,500lbs thrust) would not get it out. The only recovery was to stick the nose down.

Steve C
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Dec 29, 2003, 03:58 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
How to "DIY" and build an EDF Concorde

If your apalled by the idea of props powering a Concorde and you want to do some building of your own, you an fabricate a Concorde using EDF's for power.

First I suggest you do a little reading and learn some building technuques that a couple of our Japanese flying friends (Yasuhiro Ueno for one) are using to build ultra light weight large aircraft.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=147445

The DC-9 in the picture weighs in at 11.5 Oz. and that Includes the 2 GWS EDF-50BH's he uses for power

This type of building technique can be used to create light weight and rigid airframes out of foam.

Next you must design your Concorde to fit the EDF's of your choice. Since the engine pods must hold an EDF of around 3 to 4" in diameter, I suggest you scale up your Concorde using the engine pods as your starting point.

There are a couple of choices you can make, either using a 3-view plan that you blow-up to the scale size you want, or you can go another route and buy a "Paper Model Kit" and scan them and blow-up the pages into the size you need.

Theres a neat little program that allows you to do this on your home PC printer, you just input a length between any two points on the plans (I'd suggest the engine pods) and the program scales up the image and prints out "tile" pages that you can tape together, so in effect you have an unlimited number of plans. (at any size you want)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=181611

You'll probably have to enlarge the size of the control surfaces a bit, but it IS possible to build an EDF Concorde if you do it yourself !!
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Dec 29, 2003, 04:58 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,400 Posts
I bought a robbe Concorde nearly two years ago and two WeMoTec MicroFans with the intention of making a conversion. All that's needed is some extra Depron, nice building technique and some time. The engines would look a shade oversize but still not blatantly big. The robbe model flies quite okay at slow speeds and MicroFans with Speed 300s should keep it well above that.

Problem is, I haven't gotten around to building it yet.

I will also agree with Eddie P. and Steve C. about Chris Golds whose input would be extremely valuable here. He did a lot of early experimentation, particularly with the WeMoTec MiniFan using HP 200-20-6 motors. His models fly okay -- some great, others manageable -- but they're more an artistic creation. He works so well with a paint brush and knows his detailing.

His last big B52 was rebuilt after the maiden flight takeoff crash and he eventually offered it for sale. I tried to organize purchase project with many donors and a limited eflight event tour in the U.S. -- its "down time" would have seen it hangared in a small R/C airplane museum near where the real Spruce Goose is displayed in McMinnville, Oregon. But logistics and timing got the better of the project, and there were also some detractors that felt like a thorn in my foot, and the project was canceled and donations returned. That was lots, and I mean LOTS, of work. But it was a good attempt.

I sometimes reflect on it but today its time has come and passed. Although Chris Golds' B52 is very unique, there are already a few others in the world similar to it -- although maybe not as detailed -- and other big EDF models have entered the scene.

Oh, and Mr. Golds does have a computer, but his wife apparently is its master. Chris masters the models in the workshop.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Last edited by James Frolik; Dec 29, 2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 05:14 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Re: Is there such a thing as an EDF Concorde?

Quote:
Originally posted by turbovector
Has anyone heard of an EDF Concorde kit ...
I love the Concorde too ... four MF 480's would work well ...
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Dec 29, 2003, 06:16 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve C
So you know what you're up against with a delta...
A friend of mine flew F-106's for the USAF. He said they could slow way down and get a sink rate so great that full burner (listed as 24,500lbs thrust) would not get it out. The only recovery was to stick the nose down.
With only a few exceptions in full size aviation; this is the norm.

Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Last edited by Daren; Dec 29, 2003 at 06:19 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 05:25 AM
Singapore Seletar, Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
110 Posts
I agree with all the comments in this thread that Chris is a visionary in electric models. I was very inspired by his Comet 4C pusher model 80" span, sent off for the plans and have scaled them to 50%. Construction well underway now, his techniques are unique and the end result is an airframe that is very light and strong using traditional balsa. If the Comet is a success then I shall go for the Concorde plans and scale them to use 4 Astro micro fans, may take the drop snoot out to save weight but it looks very possible. It is just cutting all those lightening holes which Chris loves that giver me the shivers..
Dennis L. Payne is offline Find More Posts by Dennis L. Payne
Old Dec 31, 2003, 06:10 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,605 Posts
Hi Dennis,

How did you get ahold of Cris's Comet plans? Are they on a service of some sort, or did you contact him directly? If so do you have his email? You can PM me if you have time, thanks
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:57 PM
Singapore Seletar, Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
110 Posts
Hi Eddie, I have sent you two mails to your private box providing the infomation that you require.
Dennis L. Payne is offline Find More Posts by Dennis L. Payne
Old May 03, 2004, 02:59 AM
TOPDOG
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2003
817 Posts
hey can you send me the same ifo that you sent eddie i am looking for concorde plans too
pacro is offline Find More Posts by pacro